Help with Chords - Guitar !!!!!!!

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sascha Franck wrote:Play the same standard progression with those enhancements. Use extensions that are appropriate for the given scalar context (which is why I recommend some sort of a theory book).
So Dmin7 | G7 | Cmaj7 might become Dmin7/9 | G7/13 | Cmaj7/9.

That's just it for a start. Oh well, probably even more than enough for a start...
Whenever I get my shit recabled (probably during the next days), I'll gladly come up with some examples.
thanks for the stuff, sf...

that one example was something good, i didn't even know the "standard"...i've just got to the point where i can follow that stuff, and i've been playing for 20 yrs (more off then on tbh)...

it's a good argument why theory studies help...if you are writing a song and are stuck, there are things to try that will more help than hurt...it gives you a path to try at least...

i hope you put out some more examples, in fact i would suggest there be a dedicated "theory" forum full time...questions, lessons, advice on software and books...i would get TONS out of it...

is this possible?
KVR: come for the music, stay for the polemics and grammar lessons...

ross search this forum for theory threads, you'll find there's many sites...some free, some sell software and then there's things like the berklee on line courses...I like these guys...the least exspensive is around 20 bux (the best is around 80, I have both) and is pretty good...in combination with theory books it's better. It uses midi to show examples which is cool and quite helpful...;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:ross search this forum for theory threads, you'll find there's many sites...some free, some sell software and then there's things like the berklee on line courses...I like these guys...the least exspensive is around 20 bux (the best is around 80, I have both) and is pretty good...in combination with theory books it's better. It uses midi to show examples which is cool and quite helpful...;)
i don't necessarily want to learn guitar stuff, i want to learn the general music stuff (but you gave some good advice, thanks, i'm looking into it)...but seriously, don't you think KVR could use a Theory Forum? what ever sites exisist now, don't you think it would help to have specific problems or general questions addressed, and be able to ask within a familiar site? like i said, just an idea....

ross go back and look again...the 20 dollar version is just theory and not directed at any instrument...the more exspensive one is geared for guitar...but I think it's 3.0 that is just theory...download it, it has a three use demo...I bet you'll like it.

As far as theory forum, I think that would be cool. Myself, I have a layman's knowledge on theory and I'm always learning, I could see me reading a forum for theory a lot. :)

edit...dont have my glasses on :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 39-4142321

This a good book for chord progressions + chord diagrams.

WoJ

must be WoJ, you're the second one in this thread to say so...:)

:dog: :oops:

Oh well, incase any1 missed it the first time around ;)

WoJ

WoJ wrote::dog: :oops:

Oh well, incase any1 missed it the first time around ;)

WoJ
I think the other link was u.s. anyhow...;)

i tell ya, one tune i've always loved was "powderfinger" by NY, and i just about got it on thee ol' guit-fiddle, have yet to try it on thee ol' electric-twanger....off of them chart sites, once you have the basics it's like "fill in the blanks", just gotta pratice now...not like it's some heavy jazz thing...but, one of my favorites none the less...

http://www.musicrobot.com/cgi-bin/searc ... =diffnames

that's a google link...get the midi file and you can use the midi file to help you learn the song, and it gives you a good way to practice it... :)

josevin2000 wrote:So the only way i can register the sound of these new chords is by playing them out in songs that have them, and over a period of time registering its sonic nature in my mind...so in future when i write chords for a song i dont just restrict myself to straight chords.... Also i'm sure this will improve my programmin.....
Get a Beatles songbook and learn it is my advice. You'll find lots of interesting chords used in an accessible way, in songs you probably know.

If you don't like the Beatles I can't help you :wink: , but the Rikky Rooksby book is pretty decent.

Samb wrote:
josevin2000 wrote:So the only way i can register the sound of these new chords is by playing them out in songs that have them, and over a period of time registering its sonic nature in my mind...so in future when i write chords for a song i dont just restrict myself to straight chords.... Also i'm sure this will improve my programmin.....
If you don't like the Beatles I can't help you :wink:
:lol: not laughing at you, that just struck me as very funny :hihi:

thanks guys for all your inputs. beena a littl tied up of late but will reply back soon... thanks hink , roosg, sascha and all others for makin this thread informative :)

Samb wrote:
Get a Beatles songbook and learn it is my advice. You'll find lots of interesting chords used in an accessible way, in songs you probably know.

If you don't like the Beatles I can't help you :wink: , but the Rikky Rooksby book is pretty decent.
i was looking at a beatles acoustic book, and i agree...the two things that make them good learning tools are: the songs are familiar, and the songs are well wrtten and very "muscial"

Return to “Music Theory”