Pro Tools 10 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hibidy wrote:...but seriously, how DO all those "pros" get around the ram limitations?...
Some either use Reaper rewired or Vienna Ensemble Pro for plugin hosting.

mgpqa1 wrote:
hibidy wrote:...but seriously, how DO all those "pros" get around the ram limitations?...
Thanks. I had no idea :shrug:

mgpqa1 wrote:

Some go so far as to use actual musicians :)

Dan
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

:dog:

Still no option for offline bouncing! :lol:
You are currently reading my signature.

I do fear that Avid is alienating the users that Digi just tried to get in the past few years. When Digi introduced the M-Box, then introduced version 8 of the software which brought many great improvements for the typical composer, and started including more instruments, etc.; they really jumped into the semi-pro, hobbyist, and small studio owner markets. They made a huge splash. Updates used to be a third of the price(at least around there).

But now Avid looks to be turning off those same users that they spent so much time and resources on grabbing. I think that's a mistake. I do NOT think they will give up their position as the "standard" in the studio world. I do, however, think they won't make up much ground in the rest of the marketplace. I'm included in that marketplace.

I still love PT version 9. It won't stop being a great host. But if version 11 goes this same direction, the reality is that I may never get a 64-bit version of PT, which is unfortunate because it's really one of the only non-64-bit pieces of my studio left.

Brent
My host is better than your host

djanthonyw wrote:Still no option for offline bouncing! :lol:
You have to keep it in perspective that the majority of PT owners won't use that feature anyways because of the amount of outboard gear they are using. While I would love to have that option, I realize that it's not a priority, unfortunately.

You can at least instantly render down individual clips and regions in faster than realtime, but just no effects can be bounced with them. And for me, since I use PT more for pocketing and things of that nature, I don't use effects as much these days in it.

Brent

Meh, I'm not a pro anyways :shrug:

koolkeys wrote:...I may never get a 64-bit version of PT, which is unfortunate because it's really one of the only non-64-bit pieces of my studio left...
A 64-bit version is on their roadmap (see questions 3 and 4 in the FAQ).

mgpqa1 wrote:
koolkeys wrote:...I may never get a 64-bit version of PT, which is unfortunate because it's really one of the only non-64-bit pieces of my studio left...
A 64-bit version is on their roadmap (see questions 3 and 4 in the FAQ).
Yes, but if their upgrades go the same direction this one did, they won't interest me much. Which means I won't upgrade, and will not get 64-bit.

I do hold hope that they will address things that interest me in a future version, but otherwise, the upgrade price won't be doable JUST for 64-bit support.

Brent

ding ding!

Those prices are crazy. And forgive but why would any company...for any reason......launch a new VERY EXPENSIVE update and then say "well, for our next trick".........

btw, well need a scratching head smiley

koolkeys wrote:
You have to keep it in perspective that the majority of PT owners won't use that feature anyways because of the amount of outboard gear they are using. While I would love to have that option, I realize that it's not a priority, unfortunately.

You can at least instantly render down individual clips and regions in faster than realtime, but just no effects can be bounced with them. And for me, since I use PT more for pocketing and things of that nature, I don't use effects as much these days in it.

Brent
Yes, I understand this, but apparently avid doesn't understand that not all users of pro tools use outboard gear. Just because they include a feature doesn't mean that everyone has to use it. It's just for users that need that specific feature. My girlfriend uses pro tools to record vocals and produce a radio show, she has to wait hours just for bouncing, then, I'll mix a project for her and it takes about 1/60th the time to bounce the same amount of audio in Logic.

I believe pro tools is the only sequencer that still doesn't offer offline bouncing. Doesn't sound very "industry standard" to me.

djanthonyw wrote:
koolkeys wrote:

Brent
Yes, I understand this, but apparently avid doesn't understand that not all users of pro tools use outboard gear. Just because they include a feature doesn't mean that everyone has to use it. It's just for users that need that specific feature. My girlfriend uses pro tools to record vocals and produce a radio show, she has to wait hours just for bouncing, then, I'll mix a project for her and it takes about 1/60th the time to bounce the same amount of audio in Logic.

I believe pro tools is the only sequencer that still doesn't offer offline bouncing. Doesn't sound very "industry standard" to me.
Yet it IS the industry standard. Again, I don't disagree with you at all. I absolutely want offline bouncing in PT, and have for a long time.

However, I would dare say that the majority of the users just won't use it anyways, so they focus on things their users will use.

I may be wrong, but that's just my rationalization of it.

Brent

hibidy wrote:ding ding!

Those prices are crazy. And forgive but why would any company...for any reason......launch a new VERY EXPENSIVE update and then say "well, for our next trick".........

btw, well need a scratching head smiley
I think it's becoming an industry trick now. I feel the exact same way. The updates/upgrades these days are making my finger sore...from clicking all over the website thinking I missed something.

I've been very disappointed with my favorite developers lately.

Hey, do you remember when a new 'update' was exciting. I mean, you couldn't wait to get it downloaded and mess around with all those new features, including some that you requested!

It's just like everything else in this fu*ked up world, CHARGE AS MUCH AS YOU CAN FOR AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE WHILE DOING AS LITTLE WORK AS POSSIBLE.

I'm still waiting for a response from Native Instruments. It's been 27 days now! Yet I still keep giving them money. WTF!

Reaper looks more attractive every day.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”