Linux...anybody using it?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

scalawag wrote:http://www.linuxmusicians.com/

It's getting better and better every year!
Ardour 3 with Midi is coming
Harrison Mixbus
Renoise
Bitwig is coming

http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&os[]=lin32
Well, there's the rub. I've been hearing "it's getting better and better every year!" for the last dozen years!

There's a strong odor of "when the revolution comes..." or "we'll see who is laughing on Judgement Day..." to the audio-in-Linux scene. It is understandable- a Linux box really is slick as all hell in action. But it is going on 2013 and where are these killer Linux music production systems?

I think I have a very good explanation as to why Linux audio is not swaggering about kicking everything else's ass, but I probably shouldn't say it out loud. :hihi:

I tried Ubuntu studio last year , was a nice experience.

I think the upcoming "Bitwig Studio" could change a lot, since it looks very promising. And a linux system gets an advantage because the new Windows 8 could drive away some users, because of its weird tiles desktop :lol:

I have a EMU1820m, it runs quite good. A little bit tricky is to get all your windows plugins running on linux with wine f.e., but it worked (not all of them..)

Some years ago I thought that linux was going to be a viable audio production o.s. quite soon; now I think that times are somehow longer than what I thought...
Maybe things like Ardour 3 (with midi!) could give a strong impulse, maybe one day we'll see a good amount of ports of commercial plugins to linux...

Right now... yeah, you can do music with linux, it's easier than years ago, but I'm afraid it still requires a bit of effort for the initial setup that can stop the random user with none to few technical skills from trying this route... :|

I would really love to get rid of my macs and to be able of doing everything on a linux box... Music software is the only things that keeps me away from having a linux pc (anyway my next general purpose machine - office applications, no music making - will be a linux box almost for sure).

I've had mixed feeling with Linux in the past, but the other day I thought I would give it a try again.

Downloaded latest version of Ubuntu Studio, installed it on PC which is not top of the line, but has no problems running Windows XP.

Trying out instruments included:
-Qsynth, no sound
-Hexter, sound, but only mono

Decided to download LMMS and Zyn Add Sub FX.

Starting up LMMS, works for a couple of minutes, but then suddenly sound disappears.

Trying to open Zyn in Ardour, but instrument doesn't show up where it is supposed to according to the instructions, so can't add it to track

Conclusion: Forget about Linux for a couple of more years, try again then to see if rough spots have been ironed out by then :help:

You can't always get what you waaaant...

lyres?

sorry for the typo : liars !

In fact all those people claim they use Linux but it ain't true because everybody know that Linux is far too unstable for music production.

DELETED

neither did I

DELETED

Numanoid wrote:Trying to open Zyn in Ardour, but instrument doesn't show up where it is supposed to according to the instructions, so can't add it to track
The Zyn plugin is just a preset player anyway, I think. You need to use the standalone version to be able to edit or create your own patches.
ZZZzzZZzz..zz....zzzzz
My SoundCloud

Answering the original subject line:

Yes.

http://linux-sound.org/ardour-music.html

http://soundcloud.com/davephillips69

Also see my submissions to KVR's Music Cafe.

Best,

dp

michi_mak wrote:i'm sure you got pretty good evidence for that ?!
I was just joking. Obviously you can use Linux for music...

damoog wrote:Thinking of trying out Linux on my laptop(not my main music rig) and wanted to know what people think about the os before I take the plunge...i have posted this topic on a pc based forum and the majority say go with Linux but they are prolly all pc nerds so I can't judge on that alone,I will be using props reason to so that has to work,I'm a complete Linux noob so some guidance is needed...is it worth it or am I off my rocker with this one
The mere fact that you just said "Linux" goes to show you need to do more homework on this.
Now that you're thinking about "Linux", which distro are you going to choose?
SuSE, RedHat, Mandriva, Debian to name a very few. :D
Are they the same? Homework time. :help:

If you don't know anything about Linux, don't bother unless you plan on doing your homework on this. Nobody is going to be there to help you at all when things go wrong and you need help right away.
I'm mentioning this now so you get the idea.
Stick with either Windows or MAC.

Ever heard of FreeBSD?
I like and program in FreeBSD but would never consider doing music on it.

stanlea wrote:sorry for the typo : liars !

In fact all those people claim they use Linux but it ain't true because everybody know that Linux is far too unstable for music production.
I have thousands of Linux machines at work :)

But we don't use 'em for music production :(

I tried it a few times for music with mixed results. The showstopper for me is the lack of instruments available compared with other platforms. That could be due to the general impression that is is difficult to use and setup, or it could be that the big players simply don't see a potential revenue stream there, or both.

I don't think it will take off until a dedicated music production distro is available, to ease the pain involved in getting started.

The last thing I want to do in the evening is to start work all over again when I could be doing something "musical" :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”