bong vst

Official support for: xoxos
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ty :)

this is true and emphatic.. my capacity for achievement here (careful wording) is partially a function of knowledge and partially a function of my vocabulary of techniques to approach what my knowledge doesn't cover..

like all developers :) the astute reader will see this as informative, demonstrative, and equally to exhibit the nature of development. at every stage, one must judge the sufficiency of the quality against other criteria.

what i'd most like to convey is that a development is a human product versus the naive consumer perspective that a development is an encapsulation of objective perfection. take that when you go shopping folks, not just at my place ;)

this thread is really only a lifeline for my banana, well, apart from a tangible example of the crass kind of marketplace manipulation people engage in. if i was really good at it, i'd make people want it before they knew what it was (the way ****'s manual goes on for three pages before it tells you what the product does). i'm hoping i'm better at disillusoning consumer aspirations (apart from the bit about getting a larger container for my banana).

(btw fred iou and a few other people a copy of adze.. been lazy about sending it..)
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Dear Rurik,

No rush, I am patient and already have more that I will ever be able to fully exploit thanks to your generosity.

aah, i've spent 20 odd hours now working on this "comparable to white noise" noise algorithm..
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Very interested to see where this one is going. Look forward to hearing some sounds.

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/shaker.mp3

demonstrating the 3 "grain" parameters for the shaker, which has ~"forward" and "backward" shake triggers. file is expertly clipped, you can hear the texture tho :) it's missing a highpass here.

noise/variable instruments have "seed" and "vary" parameters allowing crossfade between a static repeat and as much variation as wanted, which is nice for claps and snares, where peoples' ears are used to samples.

when i released radian, i ran a ~12 page thread during development with many people enthusiastic over the sound demos. by the time it came to release, all of these people vanished, so there won't be any kicks, snares, claps or hats until it's time to channel interest into expenditure :) my banana tree needs a $50 pot and $20 odd worth of soil, and i've been working on vst for months now expressly for the purpose of providing this. i'm up to about $43 now but will have to spend $12 on food in the next week or so. i used to be a reasonable guy, but now i have a banana to take care of :hihi:

Sounding very tasty indeed! Hopefully this one will be the key to your banana's upkeep. I'll be upgrading my recently acquired 'all' bundle with this bad boy fo sho.

very good!:)

toms..

5 algos :) 606 and 808 (toms and congas) are cake. 909..

if you drop a 909 tom into a sonogram you'll see the lowest osc (~100Hz) frequency is modulated ~30-35 Hz, as is the upper osc. service manual indicates no such thing... also indicates that osc 2 has no pitch envelope whereas it certainly does when viewed on a sonogram. if you look at the waveform, there's no way to produce that by summing sines. et c...

so i took the 909 toms as far as i could (lows, not mids), and finished them by modeling the remainder after some real toms.. i'm satisfied that my deficits in emulation demanded a moment of actual "creativity" :)

http://www.xoxos.net/temp/tom_demo.mp3
the "click" attack has been reduced slightly since this was recorded, and a fixed noise seed is used here, so the attacks sound the same.

posting for future searches.. started the 808 rim last moment yesterday which is roland's mysterious "representative swing type vca".

best insight on this was by plutonique9 12 years ago.. i'll verify my idea later today, but before i decide not to share it.. i agree: (1)clip below dc0 (2) highpass..

however: view rimshot, clipper is obviously asymmetric and *dynamic*

moreover, as p9 stated, this naive emulation doesn't account for those wacky leading spikes.

i will offer this (and intend to verify it later..) i believe this naive model may well constitute the *imaginary* component of the signal ;)

more unverified information on the internet ;)

Sounding great. Been getting a lot of use out of Swish recently, so the idea of a fully fledged Xoxos 'classic' drum machine is very exciting indeed.

cron wrote:Sounding great. Been getting a lot of use out of Swish recently, so the idea of a fully fledged Xoxos 'classic' drum machine is very exciting indeed.
Wow, I haven't found that much time in experimenting with Swish. Would you be so kind and explain for what kind of sound you are using it?

Would be great.

@xoxos: as always nice in-depth information from your researches. I appreciate it. And I am still working on my clap of luxury soundbank. :) Unfortunately I have way too much fun with Modal & Radian right now. Maybe there will be some small patchbanks for both off them in near future too, who kows. ;)

Regards
Sebastian

Halma wrote:
cron wrote:Sounding great. Been getting a lot of use out of Swish recently, so the idea of a fully fledged Xoxos 'classic' drum machine is very exciting indeed.
Wow, I haven't found that much time in experimenting with Swish. Would you be so kind and explain for what kind of sound you are using it?

Would be great.
It's the noise sweeps for me. Well, the 'swishing' sounds of its name I guess. Little up-down swishes about a quarter of a second in length, used as percussion. They make great counterpoint to more simplistic drum patterns/sounds (I'm thinking the minimal 808 patterns/sounds which are all the rage these days). Ultra simple, yet abrasive percussion sounds seem to be everywhere in dance music at the moment and Swish fits the bill nicely for a lot of these sounds. There are a surprising number of noise 'flavours' available by changing the seed value too, another thing I've enjoyed while using Swish that I don't get when using samples for drums (as I usually do).

cron wrote:...
It's the noise sweeps for me. Well, the 'swishing' sounds of its name I guess. Little up-down swishes about a quarter of a second in length, used as percussion. They make great counterpoint to more simplistic drum patterns/sounds (I'm thinking the minimal 808 patterns/sounds which are all the rage these days). Ultra simple, yet abrasive percussion sounds seem to be everywhere in dance music at the moment and Swish fits the bill nicely for a lot of these sounds. There are a surprising number of noise 'flavours' available by changing the seed value too, another thing I've enjoyed while using Swish that I don't get when using samples for drums (as I usually do).
Hey man,

thanks for that inspiration. :) Top notch.

I am such an idiot. You know what? I read your post once and thought about it for a few minutes. I used a small fx from KONG (Reason) regulary for years. It produced only noise and up/down "pitches" in different lengths. I used it a lot to fatten up all kind of drumsounds( like the reverb/backing sound in clap of luxury). From subtle to obvious.

Damn, I guess I must have been blind. Did not thought about the obvious stuff.

I believe, if you work the whole day with physical modelling, wiered subtractive synthesis etc. chances are good in becomng blind for such "simple" tasks. :)

Regards
Sebastian

Thanks for the Clap Of Luxury tip. Didn't even know that one existed until just now. SO many useful plugs in Xoxos' back catalogue. Gotta try em all!

Thank you Xoxos for sharing your ideas and your generosity :love:

cron wrote:Thanks for the Clap Of Luxury tip. Didn't even know that one existed until just now. SO many useful plugs in Xoxos' back catalogue. Gotta try em all!

Thank you Xoxos for sharing your ideas and your generosity :love:
COL is uber dope. Be careful when using some special settings like a 4-pole bp-peak filter with lots of resonance. That one can hurt a lot even on very low (edit:amp aka volume) settings. I won't try that stuff on headphone. Could be very dangerous even with a Brickwall Limiter (a must for this device) in the end of the chain.

One thing I have learned about rurik's vsts: you don't know what to expect and that is pretty cool and pretty dangerous. But heck, only the brave survive.

LP&S
Sebastian

Return to “xoxos”