Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned? (poll)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

Is software equal to hardware as far as sound quality is concerned?

Yes
31%
No
10%
Sort Of
5%
Almost
9%
Ten years off
2%
Fish
13%
This debate drives me insane
29%

Total votes: 156

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote:I voted no simply because I'm convinced that software has left hardware behind.
DAMN SON !! :o :D

where can I find this fish vsti?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

LimboLoves wrote:What do you think?
That you are a fanboi :P

I voted "Almost" and "This debate drives me insane". :D

I can't motivate myself to even select something in this Poll. Say's all i guess. :)
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Not again :dog: :roll:

Fish, because it's a truly stupid way to frame the question. HOW does hardware affect the "sound quality" PER SE? It could be shite, it could be a moog.
A lot of things after a point were software housed in hardware that wasn't exactly a computer like we'd use for "software".

It doesn't drive me insane, this useless debate, it is a little annoying like many things. But given a poll and this chance I can do this much typing without putting myself out very much.

There's good sounding hardware and bad sounding hardware.

There's good sounding software and bad sounding software.

That said, playing a hardware synthesizer is more fun that fiddling around in the piano roll of your (computer) DAW, so there's still a place for hardware because of its playability!

Currently in the process of selling my hardware synths because they take up too much room...
If they break, you're looking at a not insignificant repair bill or an expensive doorstop.
If my PC dies, it's equally expensive but I get to reinstall the synths I want for free...and I get a faster PC...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

I selected fish because they don't get bored with scales...
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

fish.
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

Urs wrote:I voted no simply because I'm convinced that software has left hardware behind.
This.

To URS
I have much respect for you as a soft synth creator . DIVA is a beast .
But hardware beat anything , because of the all in one you get . Keyboard , controls , sound , patterns , all together in one package .
Soft synth don't deliver that . The sound on vst are 70 , maybe 80 percent closer to analog hardware , but still not there ...
Yet. :)

johnwoo wrote:But hardware beat anything , because of the all in one you get . Keyboard , controls , sound , patterns , all together in one package .
So Dark Energy is not a hardware synth because it comes with no keyboard? :nutter:

There is no difference at all, never has been since the late 1950's.

Coke is the same as Pepsi, Mac the same as Win, FedEx the same as UPS, AMD the same as Intel (or Nvidia), cats equal dogs, John is Paul....

Return to “Instruments”