Running off iPad power

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

matticharlton wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:02 pm I have tried the lightning connector camera kit USB adapter with my linnstrument . . .
Are you using the camera adapter that has just the USB port, or is yours the one with USB port plus lightning port for charging? If it has the lightning port for charging you can get iPhone/iPad to increase power out the USB port by powering the lightning charge port. If you need portable you can use portable charger to power that lightning port.

For what it's worth, I'm always saddened to hear people having so much trouble powering their Linnstruments from an iPad. I have an iPad Air 4th generation, with no audio jack, and use this Anker hub to connect with no other power:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZVKTP53
I left one in a hotel during travels and got another duplicate and they both work perfectly.
I have a Linn 128, so keep that in mind. My iPad has no headphone jack but with a USB to Audio (mini) adaptor it also goes into that Anker hub along with Linnstrument power. I've been able to jam with headphones on the couch completely mobile for several hours on a full iPad charge. Combine with the iFretless Bass app and I'm a happy Linnstrumentalist-in-training.

[deleted]
Last edited by hesitz on Tue Aug 29, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vorp40 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:14 am For what it's worth, I'm always saddened to hear people having so much trouble powering their Linnstruments from an iPad. I have an iPad Air 4th generation, with no audio jack, and use this Anker hub to connect with no other power:
That's an iPad with a USB-C port, not a Lightning port. The iPad models with USB-C can deliver more power to external devices than iPads with the Lightning port. I doubt whether anyone with a USB-C iPad model has problems running Linnstrument as (1) the only connected device (2) in low-power mode. Change either of those and maybe you get different results.

With Lightning port iPad models, you can get slightly more power from the Lightning port if you use the CCK adapter that allows for charging via Lightning at same time as iPad is providing power to the USB port in the adapter. Pretty sure I've run Linnstrument that way from my iPad Pro 2017, and I know others online have reported success doing this. But not everyone.

hesitz wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:24 am
matticharlton wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:02 pm I have tried the lightning connector camera kit USB adapter with my linnstrument . . .
Are you using the camera adapter that has just the USB port, or is yours the one with USB port plus lightning port for charging? If it has the lightning port for charging you can get iPhone/iPad to increase power out the USB port by powering the lightning charge port. If you need portable you can use portable charger to power that lightning port.
Mine has the lightning port for charging as well. but shouldn't the linnstrument be able to run off a 9th generation iPad with just the adapter and the linnstrument plugged in??? it's the apple lighting connector camera kit adapter Model A1619.

Please read my site’s “Hooking it Up” page, which contains much information about powering LinnStrument. The basic problem is that many USB power sources are intended for simple, low-power devices, not an instrument with 208 RGB LEDs and lots of circuitry. Repeatedly powering LinnStrument from an inadequate power source will eventually disable it, losing all settings and calibration and requiring restoring the OS and recalibrating. If you ever see LinnStrument’s lights flashing unexpectedly, that means your power source is inadequate.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”