I need Monitors

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It's the neverending monitor topic again!!!! :shock:
I'll be back! :D

But seriously.... I'm shopping for a set myself at this moment. Only advice I can give is: listen and judge for yourself. No matter how much you read into all the info about this (believe me.. I did!) it all comes down to what you think sound good. And it depens heavily on the music you make.

If there would only be one pair of magical monitors that do the trick..... :scared:

kevvvvv wrote: Since I only ever had hifi speakers before, the Truths are the best speakers I ever had in my life.
I'm like the virgin whose only ever had one lover, if that makes any sense :lol:
I do alot of mixing in my sennheiser HD 580 headphones, cause of the hour I get to do music (read late), but when I got my block all cleared out I do the final loudness test with the truths and I they are very good for the price. Alot of my (mackie) friends tell me that thay are great hifi but not monitor. But as kev*5 put it: I'm like the virgin whose only ever had one lover. That goes for me too :)

cheers
Lex

i saved money for a long time and
bought me a pair of dynaudio bm6a (active)

google for reviews from people more knowledgeable than me : these monitors sound incredibly good

around $2000 for the pair. now i don't have any money left so i'm stuck with energyxt and smartelectronix plugs.. guess what : i'm happy :)

I do alot of mixing in my sennheiser HD 580 headphones, cause of the hour I get to do music (read late), but when I got my block all cleared out I do the final loudness test with the truths and I they are very good for the price.
Sounds familiar! I use my HD590's all the time.
Anyway... from all the comparing I did so far (my budget is 500 euro) the Truths are still my favorit.

It's easy to piss all over them when you got a 2000 dollar pair of monitors....... :?

sorry i did not know the limit of your budget

on the other hand, now that i think about it, maybe having a better pc, a midi controller, more gear and cheaper monitors would have been a better idea for me... i'm not sure

I am shopping for monitors too :P

there is a monitor not mentiond here yet , the
Fostex PM-0.5 and PM-1 :shock:

http://www.dv247.com/invt/19503

Adrian Claridas post about these caught my eye ....
clarida wrote:We used the Fostex speakers for our Set-up at Soundz Expo to demo from...

When they first arrived, I thought they were having a laugh send Fostex speaker's when we really wanted Genelec's..

Needed a 'Small' speaker with a nice all round sound and great bottom end.. That wouldn't pop n Fart when demoing loud..

Fostex ... Yeah right I thought :?

:shock:

They're amazing...Seriously thinking about getting some myself now!!!

You should check them out if you can!
and verstaerker wrote...
I got the Fostex PM05 last week - and i'm really amazed how good they sound! They highs and mids are very clear and the bass is wonderful powerful.
The price is perfect - 299€ here.
http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40778

I have searched the web and can find nothing negative
about these , BTW did you know Fostex is one of the
worlds largest producers of speakers for the consumer
market for things like car stereos .

These and the KRK rocket powerd's are top of my
auditioning list and I also want to check out
the new Behringer Truth B2030A and Alesis Monitor One Active Mk2
The world was not given to you by your parents it is on loan from your children, respect !!!

Just a couple of slightly less obvious choices:-
If you can afford them (and they aint cheap) anything from the ATC range.
And if you ever see a pair of Yamaha NS1000's* going secondhand for less than £600, and don't fancy them, do us a favour and pm me.

* Yep, that is thousand and not ten.

Raven wrote:I am shopping for monitors too :P

there is a monitor not mentiond here yet , the
Fostex PM-0.5 and PM-1 :shock:

These and the KRK rocket powerd's are top of my
auditioning list and I also want to check out
the new Behringer Truth B2030A and Alesis Monitor One Active Mk2
I checked out a set of PM1s with the Alesis M1s and it was very interesting ...

The extra £50 to get the Fostex monitors may work against them though ...

The Fostex was really strong on the mid bass areas, with a nice clear and transparent sound, but was IMO really weak in the highs. While the Alesis had a far more 'glassy' sound - stronger in the highs (picking out cymbal definition really well (which is important for me), but slightly muddier in the mid bass areas. Neither (obviosuly) were particularly strong in the deep bass area ... but for me and my music that isn't so much of a problem.

I was hoping not to have to go over my £250 budget, but my search continues ...

You know you want it

The Fostex review in FM this month basically says "You can't get better for £250, but if you can spend more, do."

I've got a pair of Behringer TRUTHs that I'm selling. $180 shipped in the continental U.S.

I bought a BLUESKY setup (love it!).

Sorry for the FOR SALE post.
www.bcproject.com
Life is like an Analogy

are the M-Audio's BX8 any good???? no one seem to have mentioned them.

geeseaplenty wrote:Would you believe that Altec Lansing makes a very loud and surprisingly accurate system? It's called the 621. It's a 2.1 system (100w RMS, 200 peak). I have had great success with these speakers and they're half the price of the cheapest monitors. If nothing else, get them as a second reference. I wouldn't have believed if anyone told me two years ago.
I'm glad you mentioned that -- it takes the pressure off :lol:

I have the Altec-Lansing PowerCube Plus speakers (ACS48) with the wooden woofer, which will probably be fine for me until I cough up something to mix
Last edited by hao nao on Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I forgot I had posted this....let me explain, my mixes sound great on my system and i'm aware that monitors are not the great answer but what i am hoping for is a more uniform on other systems than what i am getting right now. I just want my mixes to sound like the do on my system when they are played on other systems.

I have a pair of Yamaha MSP5s. Active monitors, good sounding, a bit softer than ns10. Quite cheap now - probably under 500$ pair.

K

Also, new Tapco S5 and S8 seems like good choices for "budget" nearfields for homestudios. Lotsa good reviews already. I'm prolly going to test them if there's reseller nearby.

http://www.tapcogear.com/products/speakers/index.html

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”