KAWAI SX-240 free vst

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GUI looks mighty fine :tu:

Hi Vangelis, welcome to KVR. And thanks for the synths !

Really just posting to let you know that I am not Schiffbauer, and it's just a coincidence with all the timing of the posts

Just a thought. I wonder if the ability to load Kawai SX-240 presets waveforms can be implemented. It would be great. I give this 3 thumbs up. Thanks

I owned an SX 240 for many years. It is not a true analog synth.
It has DCOs. But that ones sound really bad. Heavy aliasing. They seem to run with 22 kHz or 33kHz. This made the synth pretty unuseable in the higher octaves. That's why i sold it.
The filter was also nothing special.
A nice feature was the ability to layer voices for stacked sounds. The user-interface was also good.

Hi, Markus,
Glad to see you here :)

That's strange : DCO are supposed to be analog oscillators (but the tuning is controlled by a processor instead of voltages). So the "tuning" technology might be digital, the technology producing the sound (by lack of better words) is analog.
The SX240 might be "synth on a chip", using chips that others synths of the same era used (instead of discrete components used in the 70s). The filter is a SSM 2044, which is also used by Korg in the Mono/Poly (and others) and sounds great (at least, to me).

That's right the poly synths from early 80s were designed to be "workhorses" rather than "experimental" instruments (like some big systems from the early 70s), so, by today standards, it can sound a bit vanilla.

Simplified: DCOs usually are just an impulse-generator. Those impulses are fed into an analog integrator circuit (this is a 6db lowpass) that 'smooths' the impulse to create a sawtooth. A squarewave or PWM can be created with two impulses with opposite direction.
Since the digital chip with the impulse-generator can generate aliasing DCOs also can.

Thank you for the technical insight.

A digitally controlled oscillator, or DCO, is an oscillator circuit that generates an analog signal, but whose frequency is controlled by a digital control input

https://electronicmusic.fandom.com/wiki ... oscillator

where's the download?

The sx240 wasn’t that great, but the chorus on that thing stacks up with the Juno chorus iirc, it was absolutely beautiful (and also very noisy :)

overhishead wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:02 pm where's the download?
It probably died four years ago like this thread did....... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Zexila wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:22 pm
Schiffbauer wrote: Most people here are kids, does making only EDM, are fluffly people or just 64-bit maniacs... :D
Most people that actually hang out here are older and don't make EDM, about 64 bit thing, you are right on that one.
I'm certainly old and make all kinds of crap (sometimes musical, sometimes not) but as for 64bit...I didn't know I could use anything other than 64bit. I recently got back into music after a few years break, got Cubase 10.5 and as far as I can see, I can't actually use anything that's 32bit. Just today I d/l'ed the Korg v2 collection and for some odd reason it gave me a 32bit version of PolySix and Cubase had a complete spaz. Wouldn't allow it under any circumstances. :shrug:
TBH I'd quite like to use some of my older 32bit VSTi from years ago, but not being a computer geek, have no idea how to do that. Out of the box...64bit is all I can get.

chroma wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:11 pm The sx240 wasn’t that great, but the chorus on that thing stacks up with the Juno chorus iirc, it was absolutely beautiful (and also very noisy :)
+1
It was a nice synth for beginners. But nothing special

Teksonik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:18 pm
i was just wondering why a random conversation just necrobumped the topic and the plugin doesn't even exist.

overhishead wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 pm
Teksonik wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:18 pm
i was just wondering why a random conversation just necrobumped the topic and the plugin doesn't even exist.
I don't know. This is why I wish that old threads would auto-lock after a year or so. Why some people take up a four year old conversation like it was yesterday is beyond me..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”