Multiple main/accent note colors?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great thanks! I won't have a chance to try it until tomorrow, i'll report back.
Guitar - Bass - Percussion - Linnstrument - Video - Lost In Sound Studio

bfuhrman wrote:OK - new versions are up on benfuhrman.com. Saving and reading presets from a file has now been enabled in the standalones.
Hi Ben,

Thanks for this, eh!

I did, however, encounter one small issue: the PC app would not let me close it. I had to open the task manager to force quit the program (I'm running Windows 10, 64-bit). And there's a typo, unless you want people to "strore" their presets (smirk).

Anyway, thanks again.

Cheers!

Ah, comments... the lack of spell check is always an annoyance in Max... (fixed)

As for the closing issue, that's something you need to take to Cycling 74 - it seems to be something with the standalone runtime itself. The only solution I can suggest is to use "File->Quit" instead of the red "X." That works on my Win10_x64 test system. Seems to be an issue on the Cycling 74 forums.

bfuhrman wrote:Ah, comments... the lack of spell check is always an annoyance in Max... (fixed)

As for the closing issue, that's something you need to take to Cycling 74 - it seems to be something with the standalone runtime itself. The only solution I can suggest is to use "File->Quit" instead of the red "X." That works on my Win10_x64 test system. Seems to be an issue on the Cycling 74 forums.
Not a problem. Thanks for the app, Ben. Much appreciated...

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for this, it changes a lot of things for me !

Hi Ben,

I hope you don't mind but I just posted a link to your page in the Panel Settings page > Global Settings tab > Note Lights section.

Nope. Glad that it's useful. I'll have to optimize the code later to make it less CPU intensive though!

Hi Ben,

Before I go ahead and change my lights here, I'm just curious, does this affect all the play modes, or just the "normal" playing surface? What I mean is, will the step sequencer and CC faders still appear and function as expected, or do the custom lights effectively override all other functionalities?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

Hi John –
Yes, it overrides everything in all playmodes including sequencer and splits with CC’s on one side and notes with a lowrow on the other. If you light up a cell, it will stay that color until you tell the app to clear it, or hit “clear grid” to reset the defaults. However, it’s not persistent, so if you unplug the Linnstrument, you’re instantly back to where you were before you started changing the colors.

Hi Ben,

Okay, good to know... Thanks again.

Cheers!

@bfuhrman - thanks so much for building the Max color thing. I've coloured my keys with a certain colour for each note - so I know what's going on. I've built a 16-note per octave, harmonic (not EDO) Scala file and I'm playing in "Harpejji" mode. I have multiple As, Gs, Cs and Ds - so I use the same colour for each of them.

shellsj wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:26 pm @bfuhrman - thanks so much for building the Max color thing. I've coloured my keys with a certain colour for each note - so I know what's going on. I've built a 16-note per octave, harmonic (not EDO) Scala file and I'm playing in "Harpejji" mode. I have multiple As, Gs, Cs and Ds - so I use the same colour for each of them.
Interesting! I still haven't gotten around to trying Harpejji mode, but I'm testing a Max4Live version of the light matrix that "mostly" works. I tested it earlier on a realization of Lusitano's "Heu Me Domine" in 29tone Just Intonation with Ableton's MicroTuner. It requires remapping of the LinnStrument for each vocal part, but it's a proof of concept at least.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Are you aware that LinnStrument has a built-in “custom light pattern” feature that allows you to set the color of each pad however you wish, and includes 3 memories of custom light patterns? You can learn about it in the Panel Settings page, Global Settings tab, “Note Lights On/Off” section.

While the custom mode is great, I feel like most use cases would have been better served by adding a second accent color. Maybe a hidden option that you access by holding the accent view pad in the global settings.

Hi hardshells,

Some people want 3 colors, some want 4, 5, 6, and some want 7 in order to differently light each note in a scale. When I designed LinnStrument, there was general agreement among pro musician testers that more than 2 colors is too confusing and that lighting the scale lights in one color and the root note in another was the most useful. Plus, LinnStrument doesn't have an alphanumeric display to facilitate many complex special-case features--nor do I have the resources to implement them all-- so I focused the design on being a performance musical instrument instead of a detailed desktop editing workstation. And I added the custom light patterns feature, plus extensive MIDI control, a User Firmware mode, and open source code. So anyone has the capability to change LinnStrument into whatever they want.

If you'd like to see my guiding principal for feature additions, it's on the LinnStrument FAQ page, "General" tab, FAQ "Can you add this feature______?"

Thank you for owning a LinnStrument

Return to “Roger Linn Design”