Introducing Free Clip: a free and intuitive multi algorithm soft clipper (Updated to 0.9.2)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Free Clip 1

JHVenn wrote:Hey, before you do that, could you let me know if this build (32 bit), fixes your issue? It has the runtime statically linked.
Yess, it's working now! Thank you very much :clap: There's only one graphic bug (?) looks like a popup hint with no text. But no biggie tho.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the kind feedback so far. Just to let you know that if anyone else is having the same issue as crimsonmerry had, there is now a "VST with runtime statically linked" build on the product page.

Really nice Clipper. :wink:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It would be nice to be able to handle negative values on the 'Gain' button!

Hey guys, Free Clip has been updated to 0.9.2, here's a brief changelog:

-The plugin is now available as a Mac VST
-The Gain knob now ranges from -20 to +20 db, allowing you to reduce input gain.
-Double or alt clicking on ceiling or gain controls will reset them.
-Various optimizations to the code.
-The plugin is now compiled with the C++ runtime library statically linked by default.
-New about window.

You can download the latest version here.

Thanks for that!

Awesome Clipper, congrats on the release. Everyone should have this :D
Last edited by Everglide on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wonderful plugin. Use it a lot when finalizing mixes.

Hi, i'm a newbie to recording & can't seem to find this info through Google:

What does "Post-Oversampling Clip" actually do to the sound itself (& how does it work anyhow)? The way I understand it, oversampling is meant to deal with aliasing from the distortion harmonics after the waveforms are clipped right? In that sense clipping post-oversampling seems counter-intuitive? And yet the option is recommended in the product notes.

But this option might be useful to me as I'm looking for a final hard limit at the master (without another brickwall limiter if possible). Is it at least a trade-off of sorts? (it's hard to hear a difference when this newbie is not sure what to listen for)

Hi dare2die, post oversampling clip is a second stage/round of clipping applied after the signal has been downsampled (from its oversampled state) - this is because the downsampling process can introduce new peaks over the ceiling that weren't there before - in retrospect I probably should have called it 'post downsampling clip'. Some might not consider this the best way to deal with these new peaks introduced, V-Clip has a more advanced auto gain/ceiling adjustment to deal with these new peaks without introducing further clipping; while Free Clip is perfectly decent as a final hard limit on the master, if you're looking for the highest professional and most transparent option, I strongly recommend V-Clip for the above reason and many others /shameless plug :D

JHVenn wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:18 pm *snip* /shameless plug :D
Shameless plug or not, thanks Jonathan for the quick & diligent reply! Respect! Yeah V-clip looks good (FreeClip was my fave free clipper) so I might spring for it after i progress enough in my recordings (still a cheapskate beginner now).

I had assumed it was a 2nd round of clipping post-downsampling, but how does it actually sound? Does it add back some of the aliasing that oversampling was meant to remove in the 1st place? Is it better to oversample then post-downsample clip, or just straight clip without oversampling? In my current project, i ended up clipping with oversampling at a slightly lower ceiling (-0.2dbfs), then using post-downsampling clip at 0dbfs to stop the peaks from getting through (hoping that giving those Gibbs peaks a tiny bit of room won't ruin things too much). No idea what works better as my ears are still not trained enough to hear a difference.

im trying to subscribe to your newsletter but am prompted to donate each time?

Return to “Effects”