Spectral Shifting Plugin: FRQ Shift by Tonsturm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:08 pm
WasteLand wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:52 pm how theydefine "frequency shifting" in the video, seems a bit strange to me.
"Frequency shifting is the process of shifting all component freqeuncies in sound by an equal amount."

perhaps it is a right definition, but i thought frequency shifting, does change the harmonics, unlike a pitch shifter. o well perhaps that is why above definition, is correct.

as always, when you go in depth (a phaser is a chorus is a delay is a reverb, not quite true, but sometimes... their basics of course), the differences seem small, but the results...

i am no expert, just learning more about spectrum (harmonics, formants, etc. etc. etc. etc.) just wondering.

it is a plugin that catches my attention, but i have UA fault (and byome/triad) and some meldaproduction plugins (and some play around within this "domain" of spectal shifting..).
and it seems to me, yes you can modulate, mmmh, i have to demo, to judge it, and the judgment is always subjective. so no criticism. just wondering. and wandering...
Phaser is not a chorus is not a delay and is not a reverb.
Phaser employs an allpass filter, chorus employs a delay line. Very different at its core.

Reverbs are... sometimes a combination of both, (delay lines and allpass filters), and sometimes they're neither. :D

Frequency shifting shifts all components by EQUAL AMOUNT linearly, meaning the relationships between frequencies are the same (and become inharmonic. i.e. 25, 50 100 may become 125, 150, 200.
With a pitch shifted, same components become 125, 250, 500.
yes you are right, sometimes a definition, causes a shift in my thinking...... :party:

yes the equal amount is the give away, for inharmonic.

and when i posted my reaction, i already thought; a phaser does not belong in the row.
but chorus:delay:reverb, and yes...

it is a difficult topic, for me and others.., or difficult, i can understand it. i am no expert, nor i want to be, i only want to grasp at a level, that is inspiring, i don't want to go in DSP programming.. i want to make sounds..

so, you can learn on KVR! if you ask the right questions, with wrong assumptions, or a bit wrong..
(and it happens more, lately...)

thanks!

Hey guys, thanks for opening a thread on our new plugin! All points mentioned make total sense. Don't forget we have a 14 Days Trial for you on our website:https://tonsturm.com/software/frqshift/

If you have specific questions about the Frequency Shifter DSP you should ask Gustav Scholda. He replied earlier and was responsible for the whole DSP part of the plugin.

Now let's assume you are interested in Frequency Shifting and what it can do for you:

I can tell that we spent a lot of time on getting right sound wise which also included long session comparing our implementations to all the others out there. If you are interested in Frequency Shifting and all the interesting sound manipulation tasks it can provide we are confident that FRQ Shift is a must.

While conventional ways to reduce aliasing artifacts in frequency shifters involve filters, we took a totally different approach which results in a very clean sound, even in the low frequency range. The feedback effects in combination with our unique stabilize feature let you explore infinite possibilities. Well and then there is the modulation system which is super convenient to use and powerful. Modulators can be added and multiplied on top of each other and everything is visually well organized. CPU performance is very good for a plugin like this and it comes with a bunch of lovingly crafted presets.

I forgot to mention for low shifter settings the Frequency Shifters can be synced to bpm in a way we have not seen on any other Frequency Shifter Plugins out there. To us this is the only Frequency Shifter Plugin you will ever need :-)

We have a very entertaining in depth tutorial by Mo Volans here (Showing all the possible use cases):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWGmq2XUTA0

Also the Soundcloud demos should give you a pretty good idea of the sound quality and versatility of FRQ Shift: https://soundcloud.com/tonsturm/sets/frq-shift-demos

Cheers!
Tilman

Always nice to see a developer stopping by in a thread. Thanks for your input Tonstrum!

For sure! And as Tilman from Tonsturm already stated above I‘m open to answer DSP related questions 🤓
Gustav Scholda
Audio Programming & Sound Design
https://gs-dsp.com

The Soundcloud demos are quite good and inspiring. Congrats!

Calenberger wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:04 pm The Soundcloud demos are quite good and inspiring. Congrats!
Thank you!

I really like plugins like this, that do cool musical things with the soundstage. It sounds great and is very versatile in the context of what it does. Its just the price that's the sticking-point. $90US is a lot, for me at least for a tool like this. I am afraid I cant justify it. I am trying to build up GAS but even that's not enough so far to shell out that kind of money. Alas.

plexuss wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:10 pm I really like plugins like this, that do cool musical things with the soundstage. It sounds great and is very versatile in the context of what it does. Its just the price that's the sticking-point. $90US is a lot, for me at least for a tool like this. I am afraid I cant justify it. I am trying to build up GAS but even that's not enough so far to shell out that kind of money. Alas.
I'm in the exact same boat. Sounds amazing and rich, I see lot of sound design potential. But I can't justify the price neither 'just' for a frequency shifter plugin, especially since I already own Zynaptiq Wormhole & GRM Tools Shift. An expensive toy that might overlap at some point with the others at the end. But I might bit when it's on sale later this year... :ud:

plexuss wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:10 pm I really like plugins like this, that do cool musical things with the soundstage. It sounds great and is very versatile in the context of what it does. Its just the price that's the sticking-point. $90US is a lot, for me at least for a tool like this. I am afraid I cant justify it. I am trying to build up GAS but even that's not enough so far to shell out that kind of money. Alas.
Same as you Plexuss, it’s a great tool but even the $89 intro is too much to justify buying this.

Like you, I will also have to wait for a sale. I would bite at around the $50 mark.

I do love freq shifters but have loads already.
Plus the price on this is silly.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

You can download a fully functional 14-day demo for free! Give it a try, maybe you reconsider the price 😉
Gustav Scholda

gustav-scholda wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:19 pm You can download a fully functional 14-day demo for free! Give it a try, maybe you reconsider the price 😉
Uh... I'm not an idiot that would say a product is too expensive without trying it first. So, yes, I have been working with the demo.

I never said that, I just wanted to point out that option again 😉
Gustav Scholda

Neon Breath wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:23 pm
I'm in the exact same boat. Sounds amazing and rich, I see lot of sound design potential. But I can't justify the price neither 'just' for a frequency shifter plugin, especially since I already own Zynaptiq Wormhole & GRM Tools Shift. An expensive toy that might overlap at some point with the others at the end. But I might bit when it's on sale later this year... :ud:
+1: It sounds great (good work, Gustav!), and at $69 I´d have bought it immediately... but $89 may be a tough sell as a lot of people (me too) who´re tempted by such a plugin may already own Wormhole. Seriously, why not give it another "KVR forum special" extra few $ off and see whether that boosts the intro sales :hihi:

I´ll reconsider anyway if:
- BPM sync gets ramped up to 64 bars instead of just 4 (does anyone think of ambient musicians these days?)
- the resonator effect gets a massive boost - it´s far too polite.

Return to “Effects”