Jazzy Deep House for your critique...

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Excellent, Pete! :) Is that you playing guitar? Reminds me a lot of Pat Metheny. Anyway, nice song, cool mood, great work :)

- Ulli -
Sunburn In Cyprus - Downtempo/Lounge/Pop/Electronic/Dub
Sunburn In Cyprus music site

Allright Pete et al,

Pete was so kind to send me the track without guitars, so I replaced the sampled one.

Kept it almost identical apart from some little phrasings that make a guitarist's life easier.
Also added a tiny bit of rhythm guitar during the piano solo.
And I noodled a tiny little bit at the end (which could actually be better, but I'm not sure whether Pete wants some noodling at all, so I kept this first take).

http://home.arcor.de/s.franck/kvr/SF_gu ... r_Pete.mp3

Hope you like it a bit.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

wicked stuff Sascha ;)

Pete, wanna send me a bass less mp3, id love to have a go ?

Topaz

Sascha Franck wrote:Allright Pete et al,

Pete was so kind to send me the track without guitars, so I replaced the sampled one.

Kept it almost identical apart from some little phrasings that make a guitarist's life easier.
Also added a tiny bit of rhythm guitar during the piano solo.
And I noodled a tiny little bit at the end (which could actually be better, but I'm not sure whether Pete wants some noodling at all, so I kept this first take).

http://home.arcor.de/s.franck/kvr/SF_gu ... r_Pete.mp3

Hope you like it a bit.

Nice work, Sascha! Your playing really lights things off! I noticed some nice epiano solo lines in the middle too, is that new or did I just not notice it before? [edit: went back & listened to the orig, yep, it's there. I guess it just didn't reach out and grab me before. Maybe the sampled guitar caused my ears' attention to wander....]

Gots way mo' jaaath now!

Wicked Sascha! Looking forward to Matt's bass. Love the rhythmic stuff at 2:16 onwards.

Tuffen up the beats, and run some of the melodic bits through a filter/phaser (may I recommend Ohm Force plugins for this purpose?) and Bob Sinclair's yer uncle! Instant filter disco house mania. :D
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

this sounds excellent.
sascha your guitar work
is spot on.
nice work pete..another southener I see.
:D

Thanks for the comments, but all the props should go to Pete. Waiting for topaz' bass, I'm sure it'll fit just nicely.

Cheers

Sascha Franck wrote:Thanks for the comments, but all the props should go to Pete. Waiting for topaz' bass, I'm sure it'll fit just nicely.

Cheers
absolutely. pete did a track that just cooks!
and sascha, your guitar just added the right amount of seasoning and intensity
can't wait to hear topaz' bass
:hyper:

Very nice indeed...both versions!

-Original-Has a radio broadcast compressed mix-nice for broadcast.As a housy intension,drms and faders are ok.
As a"SpecialFX"like mix,would need more fader riding,especially at transition passages.Drms would need to be broken down at those passages also.
Like this mix best overall.

-re-mix(performance)-sound levels not as smooth,more dynamic.
Loses some warmth due to overly crispy mix.
Kick is ringing in the low end-could be filtered out.
Some peaks overmodulated.
Extra dynamics make it sound more exciting.(could better be used at some,but not all passages)
Assuming Sascha is playing guitar-excellent performance for this...wanted to hear at least 8 more bars of it!!!

Real nice work...each of you! :)

Disclaimer-one mans speakers are another mans trash.(can only judge on what my speaks are telling me) :)
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Err annode... well, the "extra" mix was no mix at all, just my guitar added over the guitar-reduced original Pete sent me.
And yes, it defenitely lacks some stuff because of the MP3-> Wave-> add stuff-> bounce-> MP3 business.

Ah yes,I should have kept that in mind.(not a remix)
Since the tune is relatively generic,I went with how it sounded.(sorry for my mistake there)

Really nice playing there though!
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

:o Hotness! I love the new guitar part. This is really shaping up!!

Topaz, I will be sending you a few versions to play with later. Real bass should take it up yet another notch!

Thanks for the positive feedback and suggestions. I will re-mix the whole thing once I get the pieces back!

Pete

Cool ;)

I wish it was a wee bit slower :hihi:

should be a roaster, look forward to it. :)

topaz

Pete C wrote::Topaz, I will be sending you a few versions to play with later. Real bass should take it up yet another notch!

Thanks for the positive feedback and suggestions. I will re-mix the whole thing once I get the pieces back!

Pete

Swwwwweeeeeeeeeettt SF :)

Can't wait for Topaz to replace with some real bass (or Emrys ;) )

May I suggest Markleford for some brass too 8)

Many have suggested that you "toughen up" the beats. There are really two ways to go : Either heavy pumping housebeats, or go more acoustic. It needs a little more omph in any case. I suggest that you have a beat that you like as a reference, and try to mimic that sound by sound to learn how to do this. Please consider the following:
kick: add low end (peak around 56 or shelf 80Hz and below).
snare: switch do a different sound. don't take as much low end out. add a short room reverb.
drum package: compress with a short attack (2-4ms)and a 10ms release. use a decent compressor, not cubase built in..

good luck!
powerparrot

Return to “Music Cafe”