Live 11 sloooooow vst scanning

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Autobot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:50 pm you can disable the vst2 scan via the options.txt…
This doesn’t work in my DAWs, anyway, and according to the feedback in several net threads, I’m not the only one.

JonSolo wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:34 pm If you are on a windows machine, make sure that you omit the vst folder for virus scans. True Live 11 is much slower than 9 but MUCH better than 10. Mine is over a minute but have hundreds of plugins. i9 128gb RAM, 18TBs off SSDs.

And run as Admin.
Thank you for commenting. Over a minute with your specs should alarm the Ableton staff. They can’t go on like that, but re-write that part of the present Live.
Btw - how the virus scan is connected to the vst scan when starting?

WasteLand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:57 pm 2. scanning isn't slower or faster than other DAW's.
That might be true, but Ableton has this tendency to become completely unresponsive during scanning which gives you the impression that it takes forever. Most other DAWs are now sandboxing the scanning process and remain responsive even if there is an active scan going on.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:52 pm Btw - how the virus scan is connected to the vst scan when starting?
Depending on your virus checker, it may be doing an on-the-fly scan of every file that gets accessed

eg for Windows Defender (info from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/micros ... -worldwide)
Note

If real-time protection is turned on, files are scanned before they are accessed and executed. The scanning scope includes all files, including files on mounted removable media, such as USB drives. If the device performing the scan has real-time protection or on-access protection turned on, the scan will also include network shares.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

mgw38 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:15 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:57 pm 2. scanning isn't slower or faster than other DAW's.
That might be true, but Ableton has this tendency to become completely unresponsive during scanning which gives you the impression that it takes forever. Most other DAWs are now sandboxing the scanning process and remain responsive even if there is an active scan going on.
Yes, if the scanning happened in the background, that was OK. But the DAW doesn’t open the session/starting page before the scanning is completed.

┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌
Last edited by Autobot on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rabbit in a hole

┐( ̄ヘ ̄)┌
Last edited by Autobot on Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rabbit in a hole

One thing that always mess's Live up for me is when the free space on main drive is in the red.

Also, Arturia Synths and FX take forever to load for me. This is due to Arturia's bad preset handling. Something they are aware of and intend to fix. May not affect everyone but it affects enough people that they plan to do something about it.

If you want to disable VST2 scanning just rename your VST2 folder. For example, add an 'X' to the end of the folder name.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Harry_HH wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:52 pm Btw - how the virus scan is connected to the vst scan when starting?
It is not connected, however, since a process is running to check other files, Windows Security opens its own check against loading those files. Bypassing your VST folder should not only speed up the scan process but also speed up the VST loading time.

Of course this is not a problem if your DAW is offline. If your DAW is online, use your best judgement.

My slow load times are due to the sheer amount of plugins. Honestly if I did not do so many projects for others I would have a streamlined system.

Autobot wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:46 pm
WasteLand wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:57 pm 1. live 11 suite does not perform a new scan everytime it starts up, only when vst2 (vst3 is done later) are changed or added.
Honest question: how is this done when not by scanning? At least it would need to do an index of files in a particular folder and would need to compare that to another index table. And then if a difference occur it scans? Sound a bit off-
that is how all DAW's do it, and programs that use VST2/3 plugins. they have the index, as you call it, the scanned plugins are 'cached', in Cubase it is a XML file for example, with some basic, but important info about the plugin, mainly for; if there is a change (it is gone, it is updated, or there is a new one, in all 3 cases the file is updated, according to the situation...).

if there is a change, a new .dll for instance, or changed .dll this can be noticed.

no DAW scans all plugins when starting up, when it does, then there is a real problem..

also virus scanners can do a lot of harm today (also for installers, of vst plugins, that they aren't installed right). they are aggressive, they must be....

also Maschine works this way; an updated vst plugin, or new plugin; it starts scanning the new/updated plugins.

Live 11 Suite, on 2 systems, starts up quite fast, compared to 10 Suite.. in a way quite fast.

loading projects, is still slow.....

so in way it scans, but doesn't do the load-thingy.... a new vst or updated vst plugin is scanned, loaded in a way, it depends also on the implementation how fast, and how it is loaded, by the vst developer. so it can read out the information needed.

i mean that kind of scan does not happen if nothing has changed...

mgw38 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:15 pm
sorry for posting twice...

which DAW is responsive with an active scan? Reason, no. Cubase Pro, no. Reaper, no. Maschine, no. Live 11, no. Bitwig, yes.......... the only one. i know of, because i own them..

how responsive bitwig is? you can already load a project....
it is in the nature of bitwig, it does all things when after it is fully loaded.

WasteLand wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:47 pm which DAW is responsive with an active scan? Reason, no. Cubase Pro, no. Reaper, no. Maschine, no. Live 11, no. Bitwig, yes.......... the only one. i know of, because i own them..
Live is the only one who throws the "this application is unresponsive" error in Windows during startup. The scan freezes the main application window, which is super annoying in case it is in the way of something else. I know, because I own all the DAWs you listed and a few more. :lol:

Well, in all fairness, I think the Digital Performer plugin scan sucks more than Ableton's ...

And don't get me started on Mixbus. To this day, I am not completely sure if that ever completed a scan successfully.

Ableton remains my favorite DAW btw. It is just so frustrating that they can't get the application to startup smoothly.

Try opening up FL Studio by comparison. The first time you do this, it literally shocks you. It is almost instantaneous.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Autobot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:50 pm you can disable the vst2 scan via the options.txt
That option is being removed in v11.1... and so is organizing your plugins via aliasing.

psynical wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:05 pm
Autobot wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:50 pm you can disable the vst2 scan via the options.txt
That option is being removed in v11.1... and so is organizing your plugins via aliasing.
What? So all my hundreds of sorted plugins in various folders will be swamped together in a long list now?
Could you tell us any more details on this?

steffensen wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:10 pm
psynical wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:05 pm
What? So all my hundreds of sorted plugins in various folders will be swamped together in a long list now?
Could you tell us any more details on this?
That’s a pity - however probably won’t affect how I do it having moved from using aliases, which only ever worked for Live, to symlinks, which works for all hosts, many years ago

That is also a good way to speed up the scan btw

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”