Channel Pressure Behavior: Fixed in Custom Firmware

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yep, doing so now. It builds fine. I'm on Linux so step zero is to find a way to safely upload the build or flash the binary to my Linnstrument.

I don't know Geert personally, but I definitely put him in a genius class of coders/innovators along with Roger and Dave Smith. Looking at the Linnstument code confirms that for me anyway. And I mean, MPE amiright?

Thanks!

I have observed this behaviour when playing SWAM instruments. I have pondered a firmware change, but as I thought more, the complexity put me off (having had similar thoughts to those descibed above). Instead I use the low-row in XYZ mode to send its pressure to the synth instead. Obviously you lose the MPE nature of that controller, but for single-note instruments that's not an issue :) I use the Y for another controller as well.

If I were to attempt a fix, I would build it as a plugin for the DAW first. This is much more flexible and allows the realtively infinite processing- and debugging-power of the host PC to be thrown at the problem while working through the issues and experimenting with solutions. Once there is a good understanding of the algorithm required, only then would I start trying to embed it. And of course,there will be some iterating as new things are learned from the online implementation! (I speak as one who has written a lot of embedded algorithm code at work - always start offline :)

Thanks MIJITI, I'm so completely novice at coding anything, that I'm likely to see if I can entice someone into taking it on by offering some kind of "bounty."

ryanpg wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:47 pm I'm likely to see if I can entice someone into taking it on by offering some kind of "bounty."
You said that several times in this thread. What are you thinking of? $100, $1000, more? how much more?

Haha! I was going to negotiate with anyone who may actually be interested. You could be right and this is a huge task, or maybe, my little tweak works. It's hard to give a value when I have no clue of the effort involved.

I suspect this is an international community, so shipping may be tricky, but I wonder if anyone would be interested in a very nice condition MPC1000 in trade?

But again, I have no idea what is required. Maybe I'll go to Fiverr and see if any C/C++ people are into the project.

I wonder, if the price is twice or more the price of a LinnStrument, would that really make sense for a feature that enables one to play non-MPE-synths with an MPE-controller?

If you hire someone for coding, you have to make a clear contract about what is included, e.g. bugfixing and so on. Otherwise you will end up with some crappy code and no warranty.

Right, Ahornberg, I'd have to have a short list of "deliverables." We'll see. I looked on reverb and MPC1000s are going for between $600 and up.

As everyone so far has suggested, this issue is something that most people either never encounter, work around, or just ignore. And, this is all just fun and games! I've had my Linnstrument for less than a week! If there were 20,000 linnstrument owners, maybe there'd be 10 guys on hear clamoring away like me. Hope we get there!

Don't worry, I'm practicing and playing it as it is currently too. :-P

I see your situation: You bought your LinnStrument less than a week ago. It doesn't meet your criterias about playability of non-MPE-synths. You don't like software synths. You offer some of your hardware devices as a payment for the one person who "fixes" the LinnStrument firmware for you. You haven't found this person on this forum here so far, not even one who joins your bandwagon (maybe wait a month or two).

Hmmm ... what else could bring success? Maybe posting your situation on an Arduino forum. I'm sure there you will find people with coding skills and interest in solving your problem.

Hi ryanpg,

I understand your situation and the results you seek. However, you may find that once you got your feature, it doesn't correctly achieve your musical goal, or does partially achieve it but presents other problems.

I'd like to suggest that we have a video call. That would allow me to learn more about your specific musical goals and to give you some suggestions from my experience--and the experience of over 4000 LinnStrument players--that might help you better achieve those musical goals. There are also some other suggestions I can give that might allow you to implement the exact feature you seek with less effort.

Sadly, hardware synths are woefully behind software synths for cutting-edge features like MPE or expressive control. But I think that by putting our heads together, we can figure out how to get you most or even all of the musical goals you seek within the constraints of hardware synths. And I thank you for liking LinnStrument enough to choose it as the human interface to your hardware synths.

If you'd like to do the video call, email me at the support email and we'll set up a time this week or when you are available.

Wow, Roger, that's very generous! I'll let my thoughts coalesce, put in some more hours on my linnstrument, and reach out. I would want to make the best use of your time.

Your amazing support of this product and its users can't be overestimated. Thanks again.

It's my pleasure, Ryan. I'm here when you're ready.

Take more time to learn Linnstrument. Also I suggest with only a week in, you need to try and conform to the instrument, rather than coming at it with preconceived notions, and expecting it to conform to you.

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure Hydrasynth isn't the most MPE friendly or implemented of hardware solutions.

My go to hardware MPE module is a Modal Electronics Argon 8m.
Also take a look here for the Roger's suggestions on sound sources.
https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... ded-sounds

Don't fear software VSTi's, a lot of really great fully MPE synths in software land.

You're wasting so much potential and basically tying it's hands and neutering expression on the Linnstrument. MPE is where it's at.

Good luck,
Dirk

Hi Ryan,

Another thought came to mind. I think you wrote that you’re a Linux user. Though I know you prefer hardware, a good backup is the official software synth for LinnStrument called Surge XT, which is very powerful, MPE, free, open-source, runs on Linux, and includes a growing library of sounds optimized specifically for LinnStrument. This could at least let you experience what’s possible and therefore be better prepared for what to look for in any future hardware synth purchase decisions.

@Dirk Thanks, this is good advice.

"try and conform to the instrument, rather than coming at it with preconceived notions, and expecting it to conform to you."

Yes, I agree with you, "horses for courses," right?

I now really understand how focused on MPE the linnstrument is. And, I'm definitely going to explore MPE and poly aftertouch with it too.

My motivation for raising this issue stems from believing with all my mind and heart that the linnstrument could be a wonderful companion to vintage hardware synths. It's a joy to use (minus the unorthodox aftertouch behavior) with every sound source I've tried.

Perhaps I'm a completest, and once I see an issue, I can't simply ignore it and move on. That's a "me issue" not a linnstrument issue.

Yet, I cannot look past the fact that Channel aftertouch works almost exactly the same in MIDI instruments spanning forty years, nor can I see any downside to improving the way linnstrument works with non-MPE devices by emulating that near half century of expected behavior.

I've heard and I accept as true that no one (so far) agrees with my feeling that this merits any changes in the firmware.

I see that for everyone that's responded, mono aftertouch simply isn't important, or workarounds are sufficient..

I'm convinced that addressing this would only improve this amazing device. Yet, I'm not trying to get Roger or Geert to change the official code.

I'm exploring the other aspect of the linnstrument as described by Geert in a 2014 lecture "the ultimate open source hacker instrument."

So far it's been a great device, and a great community. I really do deeply appreciate the suggestions to work around the issue.

At this point I cannot be convinced that channel/mono aftertouch as implement is useable, if if it ends there I simply won't use it. Or maybe I'll learn enough to fix it myself, or maybe someone else with coding skills will take it on.

I'm feeling a little guilty that people have invested so much in helping me. Thanks so much!

Roger_Linn wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:37 pm . . . Surge XT, which is very powerful, MPE, free, open-source, runs on Linux, and includes a growing library of sounds optimized specifically for LinnStrument. This could at least let you experience what’s possible and therefore be better prepared for what to look for in any future hardware synth purchase decisions.
Appreciate that, Roger. I've had Surge-xt for quite a while. As soon as I got my linnstrument I downloaded the binary from your website and explored the linnstrument specific patches. Great fun!

Return to “Roger Linn Design”