Guitar multi effects for synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The zoia,

Isn't it a modular synth, with built-in effects?

Trancer wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:28 pm The zoia,

Isn't it a modular synth, with built-in effects?
no, its a modular guitar synth pedal.
its a multi fx, with added capabilities basically.

I've always used guitar pedals on my synths (even ran them through the reverb on my guitar amp) ... couldn't always afford multi-fx units. My first was a Yamaha FX500. Great little half-rack box if you can find one in good condition. It was designed for guitar players primarily. Has a guitar hz line-in on the front. I also like my Digitech Studio Quad (4 in - 4 out) rack multi-fx. I've just upgraded mine to v2 ... :)

Thank you for your answers and opinions.

I watched videos and it patches like a modular.

Huge potential indeed.

Seems a gas plant (not a complaint).

I'm looking more for an intuitive multi-effects with more direct programming.

I'm looking for new, not a fan of used.

I have the gt1000 core wich I really enjoy the sound of with my guitars (amps, reverbs delay, modulations are top notch imo). If you wish to tweak easily your sound live/ while playing synth, though, not sure it's a good idea as it's not made to do that.
But if you like to make your presets at home and just switch theme live it should be ok.

Thank you for your response and review.

This is for studio use only.

In fact, that could be fine.

Just like an HX EFFECTS.

Which one to choose between the two?

For the edition and the number of blocks possible in a row, the most suitable?

Must admit I do like the HX Stomp a bit, may have to sneak one in hopefully the plethora x3 doesn’t get jealous lol.
Ableton Live 11,Push 3/Deepmind 12D, Roland VT4, TR-8S, Roland Fantom 06, Zoom MS-70CDR

Bumping this thread because I'm in a similar situation now. I just bought an Eventide H90 with the intention that it would replace my H9 Max. The effects that I currently have for my hardware synths are the H90, Elektron Analog Heat +FX, and the H9 Max, which is currently for sale locally. I basically just add these units as needed to the outputs of whatever synth I'm using at the time when I want deeper/better effects. However, I'm starting to think that I may just keep the H9 Max as a dedicated effects unit for my SE-1X, which has no on-board effects, or possibly try another effect unit altogether, such as a Hologram Microcosm or Empress ZOIA.

The ZOIA seems like a great idea in concept and the demos sound good, but I'm not really someone who likes to spend hours tinkering with modules, and I suspect that there must be a related workflow reason that I see so many of them for sale so often. The Microcosm is more appealing, but I've never touched one and they are harder to come by on the used market. I owned a Strymon BigSky and TimeLine for a while and would not rule them out, either (especially the BigSky), but I'd prefer one multi-effects unit that offers something different than the H9/H90 and Heat+FX if I decided to go this route. Any thoughts or additional pedals I should consider? I should mention that I'd prefer something with a true bypass, but it's not an absolute necessity.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

cryophonik wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:52 pm Any thoughts or additional pedals I should consider? I should mention that I'd prefer something with a true bypass, but it's not an absolute necessity.
The Meris Mercury X and Meris LVX seem to be considered the current best with a price to match. OTO Machines BIM, BAM and BOUM are also highly regarded. Behringer are also supposedly cloning all the Moogerfoogers, so maybe wait for those too.
<list your stupid gear here>

My favorites have always been from Zoom. I still like the B1on for both guitar and bass, but the distortions aren't too good on guitar. Compressors and envelope filters are cool.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

ZOIA is one of my favorite effect pedals but it's not immediate. The best results I get are always from when I build a patch around the sound I'm processing. There are some great user patches but the factory stuff is really more of a "look at all the stuff we can do" demo than actually practical presets.

Eventide has a reputation for providing top notch presets which can be used without much tweaking (but also allows for deep tweaking when needed). In that regard, one thing I have which is similar is Line6's Helix Rack, which I use on synths more than guitar. Two independent signal paths make it really flexible and there are effects loops to add external effects. I've heard a lot of good things about the HX pedals which are based on the Helix.

If you can find old stereo Tonecore pedals on the cheap, I have a few of those and use them.

I have a Meris Ottobit that I use quite a bit on synths. Been meaing to try their other stuff.

I use a few EHX pedals on synths and drum machines. ModRex is a recent fave, as well as Platform and Overlord. I usually connect those through an EXT-C as they sometimes need some attenuation before hitting the input and some clean gain on the way out.

As much love as they get, I never took to Strymon pedals. It's a shame as I have friends who work there, so I'd love to use their products. I wanna say that the Strymon sound is almost too hifi for me but that's not really it. Just a preference thing I guess.

Microcosm is great at what it does but it lacks flexibility. I use mine a lot but only for specific applications. I see it as a replacement for like Livecut or Supatrigger more than a general effect.

I also tend to use a lot of rack effects on synths. I use my TC Fireworx and Line6 Echo Pro on almost everything (not to mention H9000 :hihi: ). Old Electrix rack units are also great (and prices haven't gone through the roof yet!). There are a bunch of knobby/hands on rack effects if you know where to look. :tu:

Yea Zoia's a world of fun... :tu:
I like microcosm as well not as flexible as the Zoia, less work tho.

Lots of great thoughts and suggestions here! I'm definitely leaning toward a multi-effects box over an individual effect like reverb or delay, but the Meris offerings certainly look like an appealing alternative to the Strymons. As much as I fear that I'll lose interest in it after buying it, I think Zoia is still at the top of my list (or keeping my H9), but I need to take a closer look at some of the other suggestions later today.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Something else to consider (which I just ordered online) is the Roland SP-404 MkII, unless you already have it. It of course contains dozens of industry standard effects (although geared toward lofi hip hop) as well as a decent sampler.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/sp-404mk2/
<list your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:19 pm Something else to consider (which I just ordered online) is the Roland SP-404 MkII, unless you already have it. It of course contains dozens of industry standard effects (although geared toward lofi hip hop) as well as a decent sampler.

https://www.roland.com/global/products/sp-404mk2/
But does it chromatically play multisamples with loops like the old school samplers did?
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”