List of MPE Hardware Synthesizers

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah, but that page is way out of date. It's probably better and less time-consuming to simply post your current list. Thanks.

Not to worry, I have already looked through most of these alternative instruments, so it will not be difficult to review the outliers at a leisurely pace.

I added Expert Sleepers disting EX as an entry within the Module list, as a recent firmware release implemented MPE.
Added rudimentary MPE support. The single mode MIDI receive channel can now be set to 'MPE'. The SD Multisample and Poly Wavetable algorithms support per-note pitch bend. The Poly Wavetable algorithm supports replacing one or both envelopes with the per-note pressure or expression CC.
I also added Keith McMillen Instruments as a source, and capitalized Roli, now ROLI.

As well, for those who may or may not maintain a MPE compatibility list/matrix, I found a MPE checklist linked from the MIDI Association, if you want to test MPE compliance for each device.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks, Frank. I'll wait a big longer then update my site to include any and all changes. It shouldn't be a problem because that page points to this forum page anyway.

I made the thread for the List of MPE Hardware Controllers. I think you would be interested to know that Tim Thompson made an update to the Space Palette, now using four Sensel Morphs instead of the Microsoft Kinect, and calling it Space Palette Pro.

I added Synthesia Corps Pipes as an entry within the Desktop list, and marked its release status as WIP. Here is what is mentioned about it in the Quickstart and Manual:
What’s up with the Home Screen, and where’s MPE?

Both of those are under development here at the lab but we’d like for you to first get
familiar with Pipes before we consider all suggestions on how you’d like us to
finalize implemention of things like the Home Page, MPE, and some others. Then
we’ll send them out in an update. Regarding MPE, your Pipes already has the basics
of MPE/Multi-­‐Timbrality in place. You can set the input channel of each individual
pipe in Pipes by going to the Setup screen for each of the 4 pipes. You could even set
those to be your 'Member Channels' for MPE and that way you’re already into
experimenting with MPE/Multi-­‐timbral playing. Take a look here for great info:
https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... hat-is-mpe
I also added the MOD Audio Duo X and the MOD Audio Dwarf as entries within the Desktop list. There has been some development regarding Cardinal, which added support for the Surge XT module, as well as a fork called Cardinal Mini. A LinnStrumentalist named Imaginus claims MPE works on the latter using Plaits on both the Duo X and Dwarf.
Last edited by FranklyFlawless on Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:15 pm I also added the MOD Audio Duo X...There has been some development...
Oooo. Great. I've been using my MOD Duo X, but just with various pairs of FluidSynth plugins (using MIDI filter plugins to direct the channels from the split Linnstrument keyboard to the relevant FluidSynth plugin).

FranklyFlawless wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 am They are missing because I deliberately chose to draw a line for MPE controllers, otherwise I would have listed the Expressive E Osmose as well. I have an unpublished but comprehensive list of MPE controllers and even some DIY Sensel Morph projects, but I do not know if Roger would approve of such content being hosted on the forum board, so I have withheld its release.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand your reasoning here. They are actual synthesizers with embedded sound engine, not pure controllers only. You can control them i.e. with Linnstrument no matter that they have their own MPE control surfaces/keyboard.

I had to be careful about mentioning other MPE hardware controllers, as I have been censored here on KVR before, but since permission has been explicitly granted, I can and have freely add them to this list.

I still feel heavily discouraged from contributing anything at all to this board or to the LinnStrument's firmware/updater. I only do so out of a place of sacrifice, not generosity or altruism.

Hi Frank,

It's really OK to post any information that is helpful to other LinnStrument players. The main issue before was publishing a direct link to Geert's web site and inviting people to contact him, which was a problem because my agreement with Geert is that I handle all support. And if you ever are curious if something you wish to post is appropriate or not, you are welcome to email me at the support address.

Also, you haven't registered so I presume you value anonymity. However, if you're willing it would be helpful to learn in an email your name and serial number for my records.

Baloran: The Pool's product status has been changed from preorder to released. A reservation deposit is required before it is assembled and quality tested, then the remaining balance will be provided to finalize the transaction. It is not considered a preorder nor a backorder because it is released and stock is available.

FranklyFlawless wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:10 pm Baloran: The Pool's product status has been changed from preorder to released. A reservation deposit is required before it is assembled and quality tested, then the remaining balance will be provided to finalize the transaction. It is not considered a preorder nor a backorder because it is released and stock is available.
I dont think 'in stock' should be interpreted that way. When pre-ordering one of the 30 that are planned to be available in 2023, the terms are that "Your The Pool must be delivered no later than one year after registration of your order. After this date, the customer may cancel his order and be fully refunded the deposit paid, without penalty to the charge or benefit of the customer."

There is also no indication that development (for example of firmware) has actually been completed yet.

I agree with your arguments. I took a look at their forums, they do not have a dedicated section for The Pool, so it makes more sense to place it back into preorder status, which I have done. The Black Corporation XERXES MK2 has similar product terms for comparison.

All that being said, having the product 'in stock' is confusing and can be misleading for the prospective customer.

Such discussion is also having me question whether or not the Seaboard RISE 2 is considered released or a preorder. Customers have it, but ROLI's website still mentions it as a preorder. For now, I have kept its status, released, unchanged.

Well its two different sorts of pre-order I suppose.

One sort of pre-order is for a product that has been released and is already in some or many customers hands, but where supply cannot keep up with initial demand, so people who want to order one today will end up in a queue, eg waiting for next batch manufacturing to be completed. RISE 2 and Osmose are recent examples of this.

The other sort is for devices that have not even had the very first batch ship to customers yet, and where the product is still in development or full scale manufacturing isnt running yet.

I understand. Normally I consider the former as a backorder, and the latter as a preorder. I learned a little bit about the global supply chain during the pandemic, but not enough to familiarize myself about the terminology behind it.

I added the MOD Audio Duo as an entry within the Desktop list, and marked its status as discontinued.

Thanks so much!! I recently recieved my 2019 Osmose order, so my ears are really perked :) I also have a Zynthian v4.6, which I didn't realise was MPE....or more likely I forgot, as that was probably a factor when I ordered that in Jan. It has a wonderful sound on quite a few presets and a great Organ simulator also. I will have to see how is the MPE :)

It seems MPE capable and MPE useful are not always aligned. In the case of the Osmose the limitations of axis assignment, such as on the Micromonsta2 give me pause, while Loopop showed the Vector is more than ready. What are the most flexible MPE hardware synths?

I'm also very interested in using the Osmose to extra effect on Multitimbral synths. I have Virus TI, E-MU MP-7, MOXF, and MPC1k as candidates for use in some form with the Osmose and also a MIDIIhub to help need be. Can any one reccomend tutorials etc, on "MPE-like" use of multi-timbral synths?

I'm pursuing Osmose to CV also, starting with a CVC and a modest setup: 2600/Model D/Taiga/Stylophone R8; with FH-2 and Droid to help also.

The last time there was discussion about the Zynthian, it supported Surge 1.9, but not Surge XT.

I assume by flexible, you mean adjusting/routing parameters to anything. I know the Deluge is far more capable than the MicroMonsta 2, but you will need to read the manual for further details, as I am not very familiar with synthesis in general. My workflow is more plug-and-play.

As for multi-timbral synthesizers, I cannot provide any information about them, since my focus is exclusively on MPE products. However, someone mentioned earlier in this thread about the Elektron Digitone.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”