Gear Lust: Stuff you can't afford but if you could

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Trust me they are all wishful thinking items. Dreams that stave off the harsher realities that engulf my life.
But I do think about them and the thought of them inspires my playing on my current guitars.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

cryophonik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:40 pm I lust over expensive boutique basses (e.g., Sivcak OSC III 5, high end Elrick and Sadowsky), but have never pulled the trigger on one. It's not so much that I can't afford them, it's more that it's money that would be better spent on less luxurious items or saved for future needs. I honestly don't play bass much anymore and spend most of my time and money on hardware synths that I do use almost every day. I also have a couple of nice basses (G&L and Lakland), so I usually just pull them out whenever my bouts of GAS for a boutique bass pop up and that usually extinguishes it (temporarily).
Schecter Stilleto is supposed to be a killer bass for not much money. There's a top-of-the-line neck through Elite model on Reverb right now for $360.

tapper mike wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:10 pm Trust me they are all wishful thinking items. Dreams that stave off the harsher realities that engulf my life.
But I do think about them and the thought of them inspires my playing on my current guitars.
Have you tried Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar with your current guitar?

Uncle E wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:04 pm
cryophonik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:40 pm I lust over expensive boutique basses (e.g., Sivcak OSC III 5, high end Elrick and Sadowsky), but have never pulled the trigger on one. It's not so much that I can't afford them, it's more that it's money that would be better spent on less luxurious items or saved for future needs. I honestly don't play bass much anymore and spend most of my time and money on hardware synths that I do use almost every day. I also have a couple of nice basses (G&L and Lakland), so I usually just pull them out whenever my bouts of GAS for a boutique bass pop up and that usually extinguishes it (temporarily).
Schecter Stilleto is supposed to be a killer bass for not much money. There's a top-of-the-line neck through Elite model on Reverb right now for $360.
Yeah, the Schecter basses are alright, but I'm happy with my current basses and definitely don't need anything else. I actually just sold off a nice Fender P-bass that wasn't getting any use and I was hoping my son would take an interest in (he's only interested in acoustic guitars). The only other basses that interest me are several boutique/handmade models that cost in the $3K-$6K range. But, as I mentioned, it would be a really impractical purchase for me, so they stay in the wishlist/gearlust column. :cry: Besides, I've been with my wife long enough that she knows which basses I like, so if a $4K bass showed up magically in my studio, $4K worth of shoes and purses would suddenly show up in her closet, so that would really be an $8K bass. :dog: :lol:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7 | TR-8S | MPC One | TD-3 MO

Uncle E wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:08 pm
tapper mike wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:10 pm Trust me they are all wishful thinking items. Dreams that stave off the harsher realities that engulf my life.
Have you tried Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar with your current guitar?
I was cured of all that when I got a Yamaha Variax. I could not tolerate both the terrible core tones and the "aliased" (for lack of a better term) character.

Although I may be a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to amp tone. I'm finding Pod Go acceptable for amp and effects. And while it wouldn't be beneath me to own a Fender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTmlHkxz6ic
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Alesis A6 Andromeda

cryophonik wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:35 pm Yeah, the Schecter basses are alright, but I'm happy with my current basses and definitely don't need anything else. I actually just sold off a nice Fender P-bass that wasn't getting any use and I was hoping my son would take an interest in (he's only interested in acoustic guitars). The only other basses that interest me are several boutique/handmade models that cost in the $3K-$6K range. But, as I mentioned, it would be a really impractical purchase for me, so they stay in the wishlist/gearlust column. :cry: Besides, I've been with my wife long enough that she knows which basses I like, so if a $4K bass showed up magically in my studio, $4K worth of shoes and purses would suddenly show up in her closet, so that would really be an $8K bass. :dog: :lol:
My highest quality bass is a 100% wenge Warmoth with EMG J pickups. Wenge body, wenge neck, wenge fretboard. I’ve owned more expensive basses but that is the highest quality.

havran wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:17 am Alesis A6 Andromeda
It’s a nightmare and not worth the trouble.

Uncle E wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:35 am
Good to know and thank you. I'll leave that in my dreams then.

new skeleton.

1980s plain top tobacco sunburst Custom LP.

I'm fine with the few guitars I have. My newest guitar is 1991 and my last guitar purchase was in 2001. But as it happens, I started back in the day with a cheap LP copy kinda like that Custom. So in a way it would be completing one circle.
Seems to depend on the unit you happen to get. Mine's been fine for 20 years, no boot problems, lost voices or dead controls.

subterfuge wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:29 pm Image
I like that guitar stand they used. Hard to find something low profile like that.
Seems to depend on the unit you happen to get. Mine's been fine for 20 years, no boot problems, lost voices or dead controls.
Yes, but you've heard the many horror stories, haven't you? I think it's irresponsible to recommend an Andromeda at this point, especially when there are so many great and often cheaper alternatives available now.

And not a guitar. :hihi:

lotus2035 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:29 pm
And not a guitar. :hihi:
But I never said guitar, I just said gear lust.

A black Gibson Les Paul Custom, preferably older. I had a 70's black custom LP in the 80's, that got stolen out of an apartment. A 1960's Marshal stack. 60's Telecaster.

Somebody mentioned the Andromeda, I would go with Hanz Zimmers Moog modular if we're talking synths you can't afford, or any Buchla.

Return to “Guitars”