Why no Slate Digital?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DCrown wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:38 pm
escalona wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:35 pm ...I think we don´t talk about Slate Digital because they don´t have enough reverbs... :hihi:
Well, you better read the slogan of Slate's reverb. Slate has all reverbs, ALL!!!

https://slatedigital.com/verbsuite-classics/
Wasn't this made by Liquidsonics? I thought so and went with Reverberate instead.

Their perpetual licenses are expensive and hardware iLok only. I'm pretty sure they only exist to show you what a good deal the sub is.
Softsynth addict and electronic music enthusiast.
"Destruction is the work of an afternoon. Creation is the work of a lifetime."

ROTMetro wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:11 am Wasn't this made by Liquidsonics? I thought so and went with Reverberate instead.
Afaik the underlying engine... yes... equally like FL Studio´s "Fruity Convolver" has licensed the convolution engine from them...
So Reverberate with the same impulse responses would be the same (or even better)...

Slate Digital was certainly discussed more when it only operated a perceptual license model and was fuelled by the hype merchant Mr Slate himself. Many were impressed with Fabrice Gabriel's work.

People immediately started to move away once Slate started pushing subscription. Perpetual pricing wasn't competitive and new development seemed to stall as focus shifted to third party products in the subscription. Since Slate sold the business it hardly gets a mention here.

db3 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:03 am Slate Digital was certainly discussed more when it only operated a perceptual license model and was fuelled by the hype merchant Mr Slate himself. Many were impressed with Fabrice Gabriel's work.

People immediately started to move away once Slate started pushing subscription. Perpetual pricing wasn't competitive and new development seemed to stall as focus shifted to third party products in the subscription. Since Slate sold the business it hardly gets a mention here.
+1

the sub thing sure, but i dropped Slate because i thought the virtual mix rack direction was stupid.
plus there are better plugins for less money and don't require dongle.

VSX is fantastic. It gets talked about but monitors still get talked about more, which I'm honestly surprised about.

i'll definitely grab some of the headphones for sure, and a mate raves about the Slate mic, not sure about that but the headphones will be a good reference. i'd wanna grab the pro ones though, so it is an investment.
Their software and sub can suck it though.

The mic is OK. Neither it nor the UA/Townsend are fantastic. I'm actually more impressed with the UA SD-1 (modeling is limited to dynamic and ribbon mics but they sound great).

It's the company's name: Digital is so Nineties. They should rebrand themselves as SLATE KI.

All I can say is I don't do subscriptions, and they don't seem to care about people who want to buy a permanent license.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

I also never liked the Mix Rack

Subscription has to be the main reason and possibly Steven slates ‘car salesman’ like manor when selling his pretty good plug ins ,

I’m interested by the VSX though to be fair but most of his plug in are covered by UAD / softube,subscription free for very little money
live 11 / Arturia collection / many Softube plug ins / thats it

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:57 pm Slate Digital was sold in 2022 to Audiotonix, the same company that owns SSL. Hence why the sub is now Slate+SSL. Slate's other company, the one that makes VSX and some other products is still an independent entity.

I suspect that VMR add ons were less exciting to the KVR crowd than standalone plugins and then development of new Slate Digital products slowed down anyway, so there's less talk of them here. And of course the anti-sub crowd. I remember Steven swearing up and down that his products would get cheaper after the went Sub, because they'd have the extra sub revenue coming in steadily. Instead, the low price sales dried up entirely to push the sub and the company was sold. C'est la vie.
Everything here.

VSX gets talked about favorably.

VMR I loved using but replaced because of slow fixes on GUI bugs (that seem to be resolved now). The aforementioned company sale meant unknown future development.

Basically, I needed to move to something more reliable and no interest in subs. I get it for those starting out who want quick access but subs add up too quickly.

Uncle E wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:19 am The mic is OK. Neither it nor the UA/Townsend are fantastic. I'm actually more impressed with the UA SD-1 (modeling is limited to dynamic and ribbon mics but they sound great).
Speaking of mics… If there’s any talk on JZ mics, I’m curious about them for a 2025 purchase. Similar car salesman pitches, but favorable reviews on SOS.

Return to “Effects”