Looking for sound design tools (not sound effects)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How about Vertigo? IMO the best additive synth for resynthesis.. After you resynth something inside, you can mangle it in all sorts of musically interesting ways.

Where's the portable recorder and microphone on your list? I read the thread too quickly? That, and a nice audio editor if you don't already have one. I used Sound Forge to do a boatload of sound effects in the past for specific purposes. You can get a Maranz PMD-650 I think the model was that records to Compact Flash cards for like $599-$699. Better than DAT as it has no moving parts, and it had a built in phantom powered XLR connector for your mic. Now get to it!

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.
Read my VST reviews at Traxmusic!

I don't have a recorder or mic.. not sure why I would need one for this. Like I've said a few other times, I'm not making sound EFFECTS here, I'm looking more at musical synth sounds and textures, which would be created through the use of more non-standard synthesis (combined with subtractive, perhaps) and processing.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

download some simple standalone .wav generator products and mangle in absynth.

zircon wrote:shamann, I'm definitely not a synth collector or anything like that - and, I realize you can come up with creative sources for sound and sound effects. However, as I said before, my ultimate goal here is to be able to create a wide range of synthesized sounds for a library oriented around that type of sound. I really don't want to get into more specifics.

Reaktor gets talked about a lot, but to be honest with you, I think it's somewhat overhyped, or at least, mis-hyped. I hear people saying all the time how it can do this and that, and how it's more powerful than (x) synth, but what almost everyone ignores is how massively difficult it is for all but the most experienced programmers to actually create a functional, complex ensemble. I'm no slouch in this area - I have years of experience in object-oriented programming languages, and I've been studying + practicing synthesis for years as well, but even creating a simple multipurpose subtractive synthesizer is a very difficult task with Reaktor. I have no doubts that Reaktor makes it easier than, say, just writing a plugin in C++, but that's not really the point.

Not really sure what you mean in your past few sentences - do you mean do I have any EXAMPLES of the types of sounds I'm looking for? If so, I should be able to dig some up.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone.
reaktor has some of the most stunning fX processors i've ever run across ...

look at ...

traumdelay
pitchcloud
travelizer

there are literally one hundred more ...

I'll check those out - thanks for the suggestions.
Shreddage 3 Stratus: Next generation Kontakt Player guitar, now available!

Impact Soundworks - Cinematic sounds, world instruments, electric guitars, synths, percussion, plugins + more!

xoxos wrote: ...last wee i released a vsti synth using distortion based on multiplying the decimal portion of the sample value...
:-o

I always suspected that xoxos could churn out unique quality plugs just as easy as going to the loo, but having it confirmed is just plain scary...

-s
A suffusion of yellow...

zircon wrote:I don't have a recorder or mic.. not sure why I would need one for this. Like I've said a few other times, I'm not making sound EFFECTS here, I'm looking more at musical synth sounds and textures, which would be created through the use of more non-standard synthesis (combined with subtractive, perhaps) and processing.
:shock: If you can't understand why feild capture could be useful in your sound creation work then your kinda skimming the surface. But hey that's ok. You can make musical sounds with out ever leaving your room. If you keep at it then the obivous will hit you soon enough. Since sound effects are not the project du jor you do have quite a arsenal of powerful app's to keep you busy well into the future.
Pentagon,z3ta+,Tassman,Vsampler 3,FM7,Vocator,Sonar 3 Producer,SoundForge,Awave,Vegas 5
SFZ+,P5. And two kick ass DawBox machines!

lawapa wrote:
zircon wrote:I don't have a recorder or mic.. not sure why I would need one for this. Like I've said a few other times, I'm not making sound EFFECTS here, I'm looking more at musical synth sounds and textures, which would be created through the use of more non-standard synthesis (combined with subtractive, perhaps) and processing.
:shock: If you can't understand why feild capture could be useful in your sound creation work then your kinda skimming the surface. But hey that's ok. You can make musical sounds with out ever leaving your room. If you keep at it then the obivous will hit you soon enough. Since sound effects are not the project du jor you do have quite a arsenal of powerful app's to keep you busy well into the future.
No kidding. The world around us is 'musical' like what I did with my song, This Old House Of Beats. That was purely done with Xtreme FX, but same concept.

Devon
Simple music philosophy - Those who can, make music. Those who can't, make excuses.

OK, perhaps I need to be a little more clear here in what I'm aiming for. Think Atmosphere's sound library. That is the general type of sound I'm talking about. You don't record that with a mic, really, unless you're vocoding/combining synthesized sounds with recordings of instruments (but I doubt I'll be doing that). DevonB, the demo you posted is cool, but not at all in the same area as what I'm trying to do.

Given your current kit list, price does not seem to be an issue. I am surprised that nobody has mentioned any of the Ohmforce plugs (particularly Quadfrohmage). You can get some seriously mangled sounds out of this, even with very simple source material. For an example, check out my KVR contest entry from October last year, all done using a single vocal sample (less than two seconds long - you will hear it right at the end) - recorded with a cheap microphone (yep, here's an example of the value of a field recording device). Almost all of this was done using Quadfrohmage, although there was some sample manipulation in Kontakt as well. It may not be terribly "musical" but I think it demonstrates the creative possibilities.
Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so.

Hi zircon,

I reckon you might do well to check out our Cameleon synth. It offers resynthesis as well as 'from scratch' additive synthesis. You can do some very bizarre unusual sound sculpting with them. Listen to some of the demos - and maybe the add-on bank demos to get a feel for what is possible.

Also, if you want mangling type effects, you could check out CamelPhat and CamelSpace. Both offer a wide variety of distortions and filtering and such like - including stuff like comb filters, ring modulation, and so forth. You can get interesting effects with the step sequencer controlling the ring mod frequency or comb filter frequency.

As usual, the best idea is to check out the MP3s and demo version (links in my sig) and see if its the kind of thing you're after.

Ben

Frankly, I think you've lost sight of your goal.
You can make any basic waveform and process it in just about all the ways available to mankind with the gear you have. You want to make original sounds, but you want to use presets to get there?
You only have a few basic waveforms, right? All based on a sine tone and its harmonics. After that you're dealing with effects. Subtractive filtering? Effect. FM? Effect. And so on. With the stuff you have you can make anything. Your imagination cannot possibly exceed the limitations those packages give you. I don't believe that for a second.
The key word must be 'modular'. Start simple, with sine tones, and hook up and automate effects. There's really no other way. And you have the tools. Really.
Rakkervoksen

I'm with Hovmod here and personally don't see much gaps in the range of products you already own. Yet, Reaktor (5) covers a vast range of sound design possibilities. Instead of looking for more products to enlarge your synths- and/or effects arsenal what about a different approach of working with them? If you're looking for Atmosphere alike sounds i recommend firing up 3-4 synths in something like Xlutop Chainer and start layering the stuff you've got.

A standard Pro53 pad layered with Sophia and Skrewell or Spacedrone (Reaktor 5) ran through some filters, phasers and a reverb can create sounds on ahead with the ones coming with Atmosphere. Yes, it's work, but i haven't seen many standalone synths yet delivering bombast sounds out of the box which also work musically.

Ronny
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

If you already have Reaktor 5, you have everything you could ever need. z3ta+ is one of the most monster synths out there, along with Absynth 3. You've already got the tools, get to using them if you want to do 'sound design'. If you what to be a preset whore, then get back to buying. :)

You could read my review of z3ta+ if you like. Check the link in my signature down below.

Devon

Return to “Instruments”