Reverbs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My gut tells me there's a big chance we'll never know the end of this (sad) story...

e@rs wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:49 pm
dark water wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:03 pm ...it's a rather curious OP name,...
Maybe he's a massive fan of the guy that made that huge remix of Bob Marley... Or maybe he's his son, hence the added 2...
back to avenge his father for being blown up at the end of movie 1!

Huge recommendation from me too for the Exponential Audio reverbs. Right after that ProR and then half of the lexicon PCM bundle (I tend to use Valhalla stuff more for the rooms and ambiences).

I have an embarrassing question. I admire valhalla dsp very much in every regard, but I was always a bit disappointed with vintage verb which get super good feedback all the time. but it sounds a bit flat and not so interesting in sound like I want it to be when I use it usually. is it my lack of skill, wrong expectations or what's your experience?

Well, another dead end thread started by a guy with a suspicious mission.
SERIOUS!

midi_transmission wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:49 pm I have an embarrassing question. I admire valhalla dsp very much in every regard, but I was always a bit disappointed with vintage verb which get super good feedback all the time. but it sounds a bit flat and not so interesting in sound like I want it to be when I use it usually. is it my lack of skill, wrong expectations or what's your experience?
I wrote quite a lot about V³ here in this thread...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

midi_transmission wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:49 pm I have an embarrassing question. I admire valhalla dsp very much in every regard, but I was always a bit disappointed with vintage verb which get super good feedback all the time. but it sounds a bit flat and not so interesting in sound like I want it to be when I use it usually. is it my lack of skill, wrong expectations or what's your experience?
VVV is great at many things. I have more trouble using it for a main reverb than I have with VRoom. It is difficult to have the reverb sound very "connected" to the source without a good amount of work. I often mix a send to VVV behind Vroom or altiverb to give a longer tail that will keep the mix from sounding super"empty" at points where the arrangement gets very thin. The main issue I have with it is how it seems to lose the "location" or the input source and makes things sound like they're coming from everywhere. This can be fixed up by proper tweaking, but the crazy amount of algorithms and modes make it a bit of a hassle. I love VVV for a nice warm space around low and low mid synth sounds. It is great for enveloping the sound in a smooth wall of stereo "washyness". It's also very good for shorter 80s style reverbs if you are going for the synthwave type of sound with drums and lead synths.
Honestly for 200 bucks, having all four Valhalla reverbs covers all the algorithmic reverbs I could ask for (really the plate does a very nice "real plate sound for drums etc). I use other things for very special effects and altiverb (which you can replace with a plethora of IR verbs provided you have nice true stereo impulses) for most of my very realistic spacialization needs. If you are going for a single Valhalla product, I would recommend room over VVV. Unless you do straight ambient drone music, I feel that room is far more flexible and easier to make realistic.

Best
JJ
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:32 am This has been done to death, I know. However, I recently did a trial of the Lexicon Reverb package and it blew me away. They are the best, most dense, useful reverbs I have tried yet.

I'm thinking very seriously about buying the PCM Total Bundle. This is serious money for me, but they appear to be the best.

Anyone else have a differing opinion or other recommendations? I keep having the Valhalla stuff suggested to me, but I hated the sound.
I'd recommend check thread at GS first, before spending money to the Total bundle, mainly it's regards fx part of bundle (delays, choruses etc) since they have bugs incl some broken feature during years, and it seems this is will not fixed anymore.

For any kind of electronic or dance music i would say demo d16 toraverb2 before deciding to buy more expensive reverbs. Its amazing imo

on my latest stuff, RC24/48 were my main reverbs, and will likely remain so, but I got to play around with the controls a fair bit, and explored beyond the presets, and I was never able to make them sound as boxy and disconnected as VVV easily does, that's what I can say about that.
it's not for everyone.

acYm wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:05 am on my latest stuff, RC24/48 were my main reverbs, and will likely remain so, but I got to play around with the controls a fair bit, and explored beyond the presets, and I was never able to make them sound as boxy and disconnected as VVV easily does, that's what I can say about that.
it's not for everyone.
I'm confused, is this supposed to be a good thing?
A well-behaved signature.

lately for my soft-synths (Repro-5, TAL J-8, Dexed, etc) I've been running them into RC-24 and finding the results very pleasing indeed. it's a bit of an under-dog plugin, but it's really really good, and very quick to get good results with (when what you're going for is classic Lexicon 224 somewhat grainy digital reverb, a la Vangelis, etc -- so, again, great for synths).

As stated earlier in this thread, I usually use VVV and love it, but the thing about RC-24 is that it's less brash / bold than VVV and thereby easier to tame / work it into the mix easily.

JerGoertz wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:49 am I'm confused, is this supposed to be a good thing?
no, I should have mentioned I traded VVV for something else a while ago, mainly cause I had too many verbs, still do as well, but I don't miss that one.
in terms of reverbs that operate similarly, I prefer OrilRiver, when people say this unbelievable freeware competes directly with all the top reverbs it's very true.

the above comment about mix space is right and with how busy my tracks are, indeed working with rc-24 is easy mode.

acYm wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:54 am
JerGoertz wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:49 am I'm confused, is this supposed to be a good thing?
no, I should have mentioned I traded VVV for something else a while ago, mainly cause I had too many verbs, still do as well, but I don't miss that one.
in terms of reverbs that operate similarly, I prefer OrilRiver, when people say this unbelievable freeware competes directly with all the top reverbs it's very true.

the above comment about mix space is right and with how busy my tracks are, indeed working with rc-24 is easy mode.
Cool, I'll have to put OrilRiver through its paces here. I'll admit to sleeping on that one.
A well-behaved signature.

Because I am selling stuff at the moment I have gone through all my far too many reverbs to see which ones I can get rid of and I pretty much want to keep them all.

must haves
Inspirata - just an incredible natural space reverb
Reverberate - superb convolution reverb
UVI Sparkverb and Plate - again they are very natural sounding, Sparkverb is great to hold a lot of different sounding tracks in the same space without noticing it as an "effect"
Adaptiverb - super useful as an effect

could get rid of but probably wont
Valhalla Room - this one I thought I might sell but as I tested it with the others I am keeping it. Super lush, use at low levels
Nimbus and R2 - again these are super lush, I would sell the R2 but I have an nfr license
Eventide Spring and Ultrareverb - I have to sell something and I never use Spring. Still tossing up about Ultrareverb, it is really good and has a nice set of parameters that are a bit different to the other reverbs. It was either this one or Nimbus. Spring is the only one I can genuinely say I never ended up using and dont mind selling.

FX Reverbs
Blackhole and Adaptiverb - they are great for fx, might sell Blackhole ...lol
Reverberate comes under FX as well because convolution - no chance I will ever sell this one

Return to “Effects”