One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

My entry - Division

https://soundcloud.com/rich-whitfield/division

The tune was created using Bitwig 2.2.2

There were 24 instances of Thorn used. Bitwig's EQ-5 was on pretty much all the channels. A couple of compressors for slight sidechaining, and a high-pass filter (all native Bitwig). There was 1 instance of Bitwig's Reverb and Delay-1 and BItwig's Compressor and Peak Limiter were on the master.
Last edited by cb8rwh on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I think using Barricade is not allowed as it's only free if you buy Computer Music mag, else it cost money!

BJ should be able to say yay or nay on this one ...

Otherwise, a very nice sounding track.

dB

doctorbob wrote:I think using Barricade is not allowed as it's only free if you buy Computer Music mag, else it cost money!

dB
Precisely sir, magware is not allowed :tu:

My experience with this synthesizer so far is very unexpected. Whenever I make any sound design attempts I end up with some really weird stuff, which sounds like a horror movie soundtrack. The problem is I don't want this at all :)

Just check this out: https://soundcloud.com/l-k-k-n/eerie-th ... ds/s-waJsR

bjporter wrote:
doctorbob wrote:I think using Barricade is not allowed as it's only free if you buy Computer Music mag, else it cost money!

dB
Ah sorry, stoopid me. I shall sort out tonight. Thanks for letting me know.

løkken wrote:My experience with this synthesizer so far is very unexpected. Whenever I make any sound design attempts I end up with some really weird stuff, which sounds like a horror movie soundtrack. The problem is I don't want this at all :)

Just check this out: https://soundcloud.com/l-k-k-n/eerie-th ... ds/s-waJsR
I really like that glassy sound!

Any tips on creating hi-hats? I got a really nice bass drum and snare going, much better than anything I've created so far, but having real problems getting hats to the same level. Everything I create (and the presets I've seen posted to this thread) sound too much like enveloped noise (for a good reason :D). Not sure how to proceed, maybe it's missing the "snap" of the stick hitting, or some of the metallic sound? Any tips would be really welcome. :) ...and I haven't even tried to create cymbals yet.

bjporter wrote:

dB
But there is still a link to load the old plugin versions for free!
https://web.archive.org/web/20130316133 ... vst_jb.htm

Is this according the rules? It is not the official site from tonebooster, but it looks legal for me.
soundcloud.com/photonic-1

photonic wrote:But there is still a link to load the old plugin versions for free!

Is this according the rules? It is not the official site from tonebooster, but it looks legal for me.
I think having to resort to an archive.org link is pushing it... especially since there are some excellent free limiters available, like Limiter No. 6 and Unlimited.

Ah yes, I was just going to ask you guys, if you knew "unlimited" and what you think of it. I'm somewhat impressed, though, it seems quite merciless and makes me adjust balances quite a lot, especially in the highs. Anyway, I just found it yesterday, I think, or the day before.

ilmai wrote:
photonic wrote:But there is still a link to load the old plugin versions for free!

I think having to resort to an archive.org link is pushing it... especially since there are some excellent free limiters available, like Limiter No. 6 and Unlimited.
Yeha I am just going to remove Barricade and use Bitwig's native plugs :tu:

Taron wrote:Ah yes, I was just going to ask you guys, if you knew "unlimited" and what you think of it. I'm somewhat impressed, though, it seems quite merciless and makes me adjust balances quite a lot, especially in the highs. Anyway, I just found it yesterday, I think, or the day before.
I have a document where I collect interesting and good quality free plugins. I listed Sonic Anomaly three times(!) there, but never found the time to really check them out. Maybe this OSC is a good opportunity to change that? :wink:
Failure is success in progress.

ilmai wrote:Any tips on creating hi-hats? I got a really nice bass drum and snare going, much better than anything I've created so far, but having real problems getting hats to the same level. Everything I create (and the presets I've seen posted to this thread) sound too much like enveloped noise (for a good reason :D). Not sure how to proceed, maybe it's missing the "snap" of the stick hitting, or some of the metallic sound? Any tips would be really welcome. :) ...and I haven't even tried to create cymbals yet.
I'm at the same point ...

Hats are still a little fizzy enveloped noise - massive EQ-ing can isolate the highest freqs, but it still sounds like fizz. :cry:

I want a couple of ride cymbals with slightly different tuning - and I am failing miserably so far. Might even junk them altogether. :dog:

A good snare is also on my list to do. Oddly, my track does not need a kick at all! It would probably work with a "brushes" styled kit, although the ride sounds would be great in the slightly up-tempo'd parts to help "move the track along".

Cheers, and good luck,

dB

PS The track is coming along nicely (I think), just deciding on how relevant the perc is - does it need really good stonking percs, or can it stand on it's own with none (or backgrounded sounds)? :?: :?:

doctorbob wrote:Hats are still a little fizzy enveloped noise - massive EQ-ing can isolate the highest freqs, but it still sounds like fizz. :cry:

I want a couple of ride cymbals with slightly different tuning - and I am failing miserably so far. Might even junk them altogether. :dog:

A good snare is also on my list to do. Oddly, my track does not need a kick at all! It would probably work with a "brushes" styled kit, although the ride sounds would be great in the slightly up-tempo'd parts to help "move the track along".
Yeah exactly how I feel, EQ and compression don't seem to do any favors to the sound... need to research more I guess.

I'll post my kick & snare presets in the evening when I'm at my computer.

Can convolution reverb be used (the one build in my DAW - Reaper)? With a free IR?

Return to “Instruments”