One Synth Challenge #105 - Thorn by Dmitry Sches (J. Ruegg Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn

@ilmai ... I can get a good metallic hit, but what I don't seem to be able to do is get a decent envelope to go round it - failing on decay and sustain! Just getting the sharp attack, and nothing else ... trying to "fake" it with reverb doesn't work.

dB

I personally think using ANY plugins other than the OSC plugin is not really embracing the concept.
Isn't it all about stretching what can be done with just the synth!?
It kinda peeves me similarly when I listen to an audio demo of a synth on a developers website and it's like "this track is all THIS SYNTH, except for the drums (which are from some highly produced sample library) and reverb from some high end thing that only paid mofos can afford etc...
I just wanna hear the synth. Personally. Wether it has FX built in or not.

Here's my kick made from scratch. You can adjust the Noise Pitch and its modulation amount to taste, that has the biggest impact on the sound while still remaining usable throughout.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yojjfycha4kl4 ... thorn?dl=0

My snare is a version of cb8rwh's Snare 01, mainly to make it punchier. Still needs a bit of work to make it work better with the kick.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5g2zklxv71w5n ... thorn?dl=0

Just a friendly warning to all: Taron LOVES Thorn, so he'll be on top of his game this month! :P :P :P
Failure is success in progress.

eraze the borders wrote:Just a friendly warning to all: Taron LOVES Thorn, so he'll be on top of his game this month! :P :P :P
OK. Just tell him he's got the wrong synth - it's something called "Thron" he should be using ... hehe!

dB

Taron isn't the only one who loves it, I do too...
But it will be a completely different genre anyway...

deleted
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the statement "Pioneers of electronic music" is a bit strong! kind of invalidates decades of music prior.
but some cool sounds there, cheers :)

sqigls wrote:the statement "Pioneers of electronic music" is a bit strong! kind of invalidates decades of music prior.
but some cool sounds there, cheers :)
Thanks, mate.
Yeah, there are others for sure...listen for instance to BeBe and Louise Baron who created the soundtrack to "Forbidden Planet"...By the way - this movie features a young Leslie Nielsen. Funny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4crGU7dkg

Think I'd go back to Peter Zinovieff as a major pioneer and people I knew and worked with like Dennis Smalley, Richard Orton, Trevor Wishart and the like in the late 60's. More recently with Ambrose Field and Tony Myatt. I worked on designing and programming a new version of Tabula Vigilans with Richard, and also on some CDP stuff with Trevor. Was instrumental in getting a whole classroom of SGI Indigo workstations set up for electronic music - they had decent audio systems built in. OpenGL as standard, and you had a great workstation for development work (way before PC's had any real power!). Based on a MIPS R3000A chip, if I remember correctly.

dB

I'm finding that Thorn has a very gritty sound. This is not a bad thing, but I haven't gotten anything super clean out of it yet (just starting to dig in). I think it definitely fills a void in my current go to's just for that reason. Crazy effects and modulation just a click away.

Here is a duct-taped mess of a snippet...still haven't ironed out a snare sound, bass, blah, blah etc.

BTW, I don't seem to get notifications about posts and threads I thought I've subscribed to on KVR, just newsletters. What am I missing in the settings?

Mike

preview link deleted :)
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

These drums are thorn? Sounds quite nice to me...

This synth is amazing. me = mindblown
just wanna say thanks to cb8rwh. Your presets are awesome!
i'm using them on my music. :)
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

Wow! I agree with you Hanz, that open hat is great - wish mine was that good! Still have to decide whether to include percussion or not in my track. Time will tell ...

Nice groove going there - looking forward to hearing the final product - should be great!

Cheers,

dB

Hanz Meyzer wrote:These drums are thorn? Sounds quite nice to me...
Thanks Hanz Meyzer. Yeah, all Thorn. I was originally trying to not use any additional vsts, but the built in eq didn't seem to be enough for the kick, so it has a freebie PulTec on it to help out.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

Return to “Instruments”