Bandlab Cakewak vs Cubase

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cakewalk by BandLab Cubase Pro 13

JoseC. wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:32 pm I haven´t "collapsed" anything.
Yes, you have.
I open and close panels as I need them.
So... now you're saying you've collapsed things?
After all, they are just a keypress away, "I" for the inspector, "B" for the browser, "D" for the Docker, or "C" for the control bar. And I press "F" to Fit all tracks in view. No need to use three fingered shortcuts like in other DAWs. And speaking of the Control Bar, you can dock it at the bottom, too.
This applies to most DAWs, and no... these aren't just three fingered key presses. I could give scores of examples, but I'm not going to waste my time responding to this kind of exaggeration in such detail..

The reason why 2 and 3 fingered keyboard shortcuts exist, is because the 1 button shortcuts have been exhausted. Pretty common in any deeply featured software application. Cakewalk has a lot of those, as well, though it has need for less due to the fact that it's not nearly as deeply featured as something like Cubase or Digital Performer.
What I like most about CbB UI is precisely that you can navigate it extensively with keyboard shortcuts.
This applies to most DAWs, already. Even Studio One can be navigated fairly briskly with the keyboard, and it's the king of drag-and-drop DAWs.
I hate having to use the mouse too much.
Most people proficient with software do. Mice are good for accurate selections and input, but they are not as efficient as keyboard navigation.

New users bias to mouse usage because they aren't yet familiar with the keyboard shortcuts in the application. So, you have to put yourself in their shoes - if possible - to see how this actually feels to them.

Cakewalk doesn't need old heads (90% of its market, at the moment) to stay on the DAW to grow. It needs to bring in new users that actually continue using the software in perpetuity to grow. How those users percieve the UX is key to them settling down and staying - first impressions are kind of a big deal.
I have Live, Bitwig and Reaper and I do not see how CbB´s UI is any worse than any of those.
We've already touched on some of that. And I absolutely would not say that REAPER has a better UI/UX than Cakewalk, as it is one of the absolute worst when it comes to that. But I'd definitely put Ableton and Bitwig ahead of it. In any case, the people going to Ableton and Bitwig are likely going to go to it for reasons beyond "whicih one has the better UI." Those DAWs have a ton of tooling and a workflow geared towards market segments that Cakewalk is not competitive in - and never really targeted.

Furthermore, you clearly prefer Cakewalk, so your response is expected. We are all biased to our preferences. The fact that you own Bitwig, Live and REAPER doesn't really validate your response any more than if you had used nothing except SONAR/Cakewalk for the past 20 years. People buy extra DAWs to use in a secondary/utility fashion all the time. Big deal.
All of them need to be learned, and all of them have their WTF quirks. The problem I see with most criticism about it is that some people seem to expect every program to work the same and get frustrated when they try a new DAW and find that some things do need to be learned.
No. No one expects that. That is just what people say when they want to shrug off apparent weaknesses that are presented in a comparative fashion; the easiest way for users to actually demonstrate things to others on a forum (who aren't looking over their shoulders at a computer).

It's a lot easier to explain things in terms of what another solution does differently, but that does not mean people expect to open Cakewalk and it's like they never left Ableton Live. This crutch is an exaggeration, and a complete misunderstanding. It doesn't even make sense, logically.

The UI isn't even Cakewalk's biggest problems as it pertains to bringing in people in the production scene, or making inroads into studios.
Last edited by Trensharo on Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Just like so many free softwares these days, Cakewalk seems to become an attitude. ;) Gift horse stuff.

chk071 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:26 pm Just like so many free softwares these days, Cakewalk seems to become an attitude. ;) Gift horse stuff.
Kind of true. People will defend it to the death because they need to feel like their freebie is as good as someone else's $500 DAW.

It's incredibly hypocrytical, as well.

On one hand: "Stop complaining, it's free!"

On the other hand: "Stop hating, it's just as good as the paid stuff."

The fact that SONAR cost way more than it should have, for like a decade - given how the market has shifted, and how aggressively competing DAWs were developed - also gaslights people. The fact that it was $500 in the past makes them believe that it had to have been as good as other $500 DAWs.

It's the luxury pricing effect. Even if your stuff is worth a fraction of the cost, price it high and people will assume it's premium simply due to the price tag.

They don't realize that a lot of SONAR's cost was actually for bundled value added products, not the DAW itself...

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Some people can’t handle the fact that they spent $500 for something that others got for free. Especially they can’t accept that people are actually HAPPY with their free choice! The nerve! 😂

Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:42 pm Some people can’t handle the fact that they spent $500 for something that others got for free. Especially they can’t accept that people are actually HAPPY with their free choice! The nerve! 😂
Except Cakewalk isn't Cubase, and getting it for free isn't getting "what Cubase users spend $500 on." The feature disparity between these two is as wide as the Atlantic Ocean, so there can be a multitude of functional reasons that someone would feel paying for Cubase over using Free Cakewalk is worth it.

Please make this make sense.

If anyone in this thread will pretend that Cakewalk is equivalent to Cubase, then they are lying to you.

This is not what is happening here, and the people responding to the OP are not the ones being defensive about the matter.

You do realize that we could use the freebie too, right? If it were that good [to us], we'd happily jump on that bandwagon and keep our $500 in the bank. Even still, the person who I replied to claimed to own Live and Bitwig, which costs quite a bit more than $500 (combined), so your comment is a bit odd - given the context.

Level headed users want Cakewalk to succeed and leach tons of users off of other DAWs. Why? Because this will help bring DAW and DAW Upgrade prices down. It benefits all of us for it to do as well as it possibly can. This is why I always recommend it to newbies who are looking for a DAW (on Windows). Without fail. I always tell people to use Cakewalk until they feel it is not meeting their needs.

But I am not going to pretend that it's on par with Cubase. It isn't really playing in the same tier as Cubase. 1999 has come and gone.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:48 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:42 pm Some people can’t handle the fact that they spent $500 for something that others got for free. Especially they can’t accept that people are actually HAPPY with their free choice! The nerve! 😂
Except Cakewalk isn't Cubase, and getting it for free isn't getting "what Cubase users spend $500 on." The feature disparity between these two is as wide as the Atlantic Ocean, so there can be a multitude of functional reasons that someone would feel paying for Cubase over using Free Cakewalk is worth it.

Please make this make sense.

If anyone in this thread will pretend that Cakewalk is equivalent to Cubase, then they are lying to you.

This is not what is happening here, and the people responding to the OP are not the ones being defensive about the matter.

You do realize that we could use the freebie too, right? If it were that good [to us], we'd happily jump on that bandwagon and keep our $500 in the bank. Even still, the person who I replied to claimed to own Live and Bitwig, which costs quite a bit more than $500 (combined), so your comment is a bit odd - given the context.

Level headed users want Cakewalk to succeed and leach tons of users off of other DAWs. Why? Because this will help bring DAW and DAW Upgrade prices down. It benefits all of us for it to do as well as it possibly can. This is why I always recommend it to newbies who are looking for a DAW (on Windows). Without fail. I always tell people to use Cakewalk until they feel it is not meeting their needs.

But I am not going to pretend that it's on par with Cubase. It isn't really playing in the same tier as Cubase. 1999 has come and gone.
It IS equivalent for most users who don’t need 95% of the super specific tasks that Cubase excells at. I was being sarcastic anyways. If users defend their free DAW because they got it for free and are in denial, then people who spent $500 on their DAW can get angry and attack people in forums because they’re happy making music with whatever they choose to use. See how it works?

it's either actually the same thing for your post to be true or it isn't. It actually isn't. From your own language Cubase would appear to have more functionality.
The notion "95%" of it is to be dismissed proves the other point, not yours.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:48 pm But I am not going to pretend that it's on par with Cubase. It isn't really playing in the same tier as Cubase. 1999 has come and gone.
It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to anyone's output if they use Cakewalk over Cubase.
As for Cubase I don't think that it's as far ahead of Cakewalk as you want to believe.
The last few upgrades have been mainly GUI upgrades and added plugins, You can open Cubase 11 projects in Cubase 6.5 for example which was released in February 2012, (Not sure about earlier versions) which leads me to suspect that the underlying code has not changed that much in the past 15 years, maybe longer.
An arguably more modern GUI, some updated and newer plugins and not much else that hasn't already been included since the early 2000s. Are you old enough to remember Cubase SX3 from 2005? It was a pretty big deal and to say that it was considered a fully fledged studio would be an understatement, along with Pro Tools it was one of the flagships of the DAW world, has that much changed since then really in terms of functionality?
Keep paying for those yearly upgrades though.

FTR, I have absolutely no dog in this race; but saying people got exactly Cubase Pro for free and so the people who paid for actual Cubase Pro are upset accordingly is obnoxious and an unforced error as they say in baseball.

It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to anyone's output if they use Cakewalk over Cubase.

Bang, lotus2035 you hit the nail right on the head. In treads like this, I like to show what can be achieved in Cakewalk. First, "Star Gazer" is a collaboration I did with a buddy of mine (his composition) who uses Cakewalk also. The project file was exchanged via the cloud so that he can add his vocals. I did the instrumentation, mixing and production of the song. Second song is an instrumental composition of mine. The entire production of the two songs were done in a bedroom.

https://soundcloud.com/derek_browne/sta ... al_sharing

https://soundcloud.com/derek_browne/the ... al_sharing
DB

Does Cakewalk By Bandlab support Hi-DPI resolutions ? I loaded it up and the Huge size version of Dune 3 doesn't fit.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

jancivil wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:02 pm FTR, I have absolutely no dog in this race; but saying people got exactly Cubase Pro for free and so the people who paid for actual Cubase Pro are upset accordingly is obnoxious and an unforced error as they say in baseball.
Pretty sure that's tennis. This lifelong baseball fanatic has never heard the term "unforced error" used in a baseball game. :D

Cubase is my main DAW for over a decade. Before I was using Sonar for some time.

Beside differences in GUI, I don't see how much Cubase is superior to Sonar for multitrack recordings and standard music production. Can somebody enlighten me, what are those major "must-have" superior Cubase features that Cakewalk is missing for standard music production and are worth paying full price of Cubase?

For me, music production is just 50% if not less of tasks I'm doing with Cubase so those "exclusive features" are worth it for me. But if I would make only music and I could go back to Cakewalk GUI (I can't anymore), I would probably do it.

I don't get this fight in this topic at all.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:17 pm Bla, bla, bla...
No, I said that I do not "collapse" anything because your use of that word implies that the software cannot be used in that state. I was replying to the statement that the UI is "cluttered", "busy" or whatever the like, and that is actually how I use it. I hate clutter myself, and I keep a clean view and open and close whatever I need from that state, something that is extremely easy to do. I imagine that you do not use Cubase with all windows open at the same time, do you? I still do not see CbB UI any "busier" than any other DAW I know, if you take a few minutes to learn how to navigate it it. I find particularly funny your theory that other DAWs use three keys to navigate the UI because they ran out of single key shortcuts to use.

The rest of your tirade are just assumptions and opinions, both about the DAW and myself, and you are entitled to believe in them, as well as to spend your time fighting against a DAW , but I do not feel inclined to waste too much time arguing about baseless statements like "the 90% this or that".

I have never ever stated that a DAW is better or worse than others because I just view them as tools, and tools are personal, and much less go into any criticism of tools that I do not use myself.

Haja. In terms of functionality and capabilities, Cakewalk and Cubase are
definitely comparable. I can say that because I - we - have been working
with various DAWs for many years, including Cakewalk and Cubase (and
some other DAWS).

However: Customizibiltiy and ergonomics are different because different
developers have built this software. So the conclusion is clear: Those who
get along better with Cakewalk can be lucky, as it were, that Cakewalk
is free. But if you get along better with Cubase, you also urgently need
Cubase - and you have to pay 600 Euros or Dollars for it, whether you
want it or not. :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”