What’s the oldest VSTi you still use today ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lots of AIR plugins, Wave Renaissance plugins (oh, it's no Vsti, but ole) - still use them quite often

Crystal,Massive,FM8.I don’t know which is older.I have Waves Multi Tap Delay which I think is from the late 90s but I don’t use it

wetdentist wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:44 am besides Reaktor (though i don't know if it's fair to consider Reaktor 6 old), i'd say z3ta+
me too

It's probably Jeskola XS-1 which was released in 2001. It's still one of the best soundfont players around.

The oldest Synth I own outside of Ableton which comes with a boatload of capable Synths is Reveal Spire.
Everything after Spire sucked the life out of my creativity. I stopped making real music a while back and am now a proud member of the kvr armchair activists.

Only thing I use now is Arturia V collection 6. Gotta say the Prophet V got me missing the old Pro 53. Definitely not their finest hour.

usury presets wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:09 pm Only thing I use now is Arturia V collection 6. Gotta say the Prophet V got me missing the old Pro 53. Definitely not their finest hour.
Prophet got updated recently, so maybe you're still on the old one.
<list your stupid gear here>

I still tinker with old Computer Music plugins such as CM101. Oldies but goodies.

Native Instruments Pro 52, still a go to instrument.

Native Instruments Absynth. The last version. Still a great instrument.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Usulator, man's first synth
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Butchy Sq8l sounds marvelous , on pae with arturia at A fraction of the cpu hit ( and cost :) , sadly 32 bit only
Synth 1 , simple fast and the sound is not bad at all ( the new diode filter is actually pretty great ).
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Krakatau wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 5:17 am
wetdentist wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:44 am besides Reaktor (though i don't know if it's fair to consider Reaktor 6 old), i'd say z3ta+
me too
its true reaktor has been updated, but a lot of the ensembles i personally use, are 15 years or more old :)

Reaktor used to be Dynamo, correct? Reaktor changed once NI brought in Dr. Sync. It's basically turned into Sync Modular, now it's Blocks or Bloks or whatever.

Was this really only 2005??

Because I'm on a Mac, I can't really hang on to old plugins. Almost none of the synth plugins that I was using in the early 2000s (e.g., NI's Pro-52/53) even work on modern Apple Silicon Macs. That's actually probably a good thing.

I have hardware synths that are over 40 years old and which I still use on a daily basis. But for whatever reason, synth plugins seem more "ephemeral."

If I had to guess, it would probably be Reaktor. However, I never really used Reaktor to create my own ensembles. I just used what was available in the large Reaktor ensemble library. But I haven't used Reaktor in over 15 years. It always sounded cold and sterile to me along with all the "Reaktor Instruments" such as Reaktor Spark. The only Reaktor instrument that sounds good to me is Super 8. I only used that because it became an AAX/AU/VST plugin. But of course Native Instruments had to bail on that as well as most of the rest of their "VST" synth lineup.

If I hadn't switched from Logic to Cubase around 2009, I would almost certainly still be using the EXS24 software sampler now unimaginatively called "Sampler." Sampler/EXS24 hits the sweet spot for me between a powerful streaming sampler but one that is still fun to use and program like a "synthesizer" unlike Kontakt, Falcon, and to a somewhat lesser degree HALion which are all bloated, unwieldy pigs with horrible UIs, IMO.
Last edited by Supercollider on Mon May 27, 2024 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”