FabFilter Pro-Q 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

To those who consider dynamic EQ only useful for fixing/corrective surgery.... You're missing out :)

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 pm To those who consider dynamic EQ only useful for fixing/corrective surgery.... You're missing out :)
... elaborate?

Or maybe make a separate thread in Recording Techniques so as not to derail this one too much if you plan on a long post. :)

Looks awesome
I just... I don't need it. I'm not trying to be mean. I use ProQ2 and Nova GE on everything, and the waves SSL channels, and I'm covered.

That "Brickwall" filter slope (it's not really a slope, is it? LOL) is awesome though.

Per band mid/side!!
I don't think I have ever seen this in an eq. Congratulations for pulling it off FF, as it has been a pain for me to open a new plug everytime I suddenly decided to do a bit of m/s tweaking.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

The nature of these threads is such that issues shift and the focus rarely remains fixed for long.

This is how I’ve interpreted this thread:

Synth gurus initial point was that there are cheaper alternatives to Pro-Q 3 for dynamic EQ. He gave as an example Waves F6 for $29. His main argument was framed such that utility and value of the tool is primarily a function of need.

Responses to his argument were that the utility and thus value is also as much if not more a function of convenience, E.g. given two similar tools, which does the job faster and more efficiently.

The evolution of this discussion focused on what is exactly the need that a dynamic EQ seeks to address. Synth guru claims that the need is marginal if certain use cases for a dynamic EQ are handled early in the production/sound design process. The response to that has been that dynamic EQ is or can be essential to that early stage.

From my perspective, synth guru makes very valid points. Many uses cases for dynamic EQ may be moot if issues are handled early on in the process, and handling these issues does not necessarily require a dynamic EQ. This makes those issues absolutely requiring dynamic EQ few and thus the value of an expensive EQ plugin focusing on addressing those issues questionable.

However, unlike synth guru, many also use dynamic EQ specifically as a creative sound design tool. In such cases, the value of a tool which can do the job faster and more efficiently is clear. Also, there are non creative uses for dynamic EQ, e.g. mix/mastering applications when the engineer does not shave any input into the early stages of the process. Again, the utility of a fast and efficient device is clear. Already, I’ve read claims by engineers over at GS using Pro-Q 3 to speed up and simplfy some allegedly difficult mastering issues inherited from poor mixes.

Terrafractyl wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:21 pmPer band mid/side!!
I don't think I have ever seen this in an eq. Congratulations for pulling it off FF, as it has been a pain for me to open a new plug everytime I suddenly decided to do a bit of m/s tweaking.
Toneboosters had that for many years.
It's easy if you know how

synth guru wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:12 pm I'm not saying there aren't uses for it, but I rarely find myself reaching for it to fix anything.

In fact, while I'm making the different parts, I have frequency balances in mind while laying them down.

So the way I work needs less corrective surgery after the fact, I tend to record what I want and then slightly nip and tuck if needed.

It's a different way to work when you're creating exactly what you're hearing in your head, instead of trying to chase it later and "fix it in the mix".
Sure, one can easily get by without a dynamic EQ but if it’s already there within the static EQ, like it has been for years in MAutoDynamicEQ and now PRO-Q 3 then I think one will use it more. A de-esser is still a pretty valuable tool right?
Over the years I’ve found many good uses for dynamic EQing along with a static band setting.

Incredible update! FF knows exactly what their workhorse is and they're not afraid to make it more awesome. I don't know how's that possible put ProQ3 takes even less CPU here than v2. The new reference curves for masking issues are extremely helpful. For me ProQ3 makes some other plugins obsolete. Now there is the ease of use and the features combined in 1 lovely plugin :love:

I'm I getting it right or dynamics of EQ is not supporting sidechain as input?
Murderous duck!

Yes.
This is a bummer.

If it comes with an update, great. If not, then that's what ProMB is for. Don't see the urgent need of it :shrug:

Convenience.

Lets write them and tell em
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

This is really sad, I think dynamic eq + sidechain is so convenient.
Murderous duck!

There's already a topic in their forum where people ask for this feature. Add your voice there.

Return to “Effects”