Tone2 Icarus is the most underrated synth in Existence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Icarus3

Hink wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:04 pm what am I f**king invisible
:hihi:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:39 pm Not sure what happened in this thread...

But the Most Underrated Synth is clearly Reaper.
Followed closely by Sylenth1.
Isn't Reaper a DAW? Sylenth1?

Oh wait, I see. This is sarcasm and you making a funny.

Ha ha. Sorry, a little slow today.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:46 pm
Spencer Maddox wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:39 pm Not sure what happened in this thread...

But the Most Underrated Synth is clearly Reaper.
Followed closely by Sylenth1.
Isn't Reaper a DAW? Sylenth1?

Oh wait, I see. This is sarcasm and you making a funny.

Ha ha. Sorry, a little slow today.
This thread has gone soo off the rails Sarcasm is my only resort at this point :hihi:.
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Like I said before, Icarus is my favorite WT synth.
Most WT have a cold sound to them. Icarus does not.

Filters are pretty yummy and it's a dual filter. More common these days but not at the time of release.
The osc manipulations are also pretty elaborate.

If I compare with that other WT synth Serum (my opinion) : Serum is cold, the filters are not that good, neither are the morph possibilities which strike me more as mathematical manipulations than musical ones.

So yes, underestimated. And in the near future you can use a better skin :wink: .

Stefken wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:04 pm Like I said before, Icarus is my favorite WT synth.
Most WT have a cold sound to them. Icarus does not.

Filters are pretty yummy and it's a dual filter. More common these days but not at the time of release.
The osc manipulations are also pretty elaborate.

If I compare with that other WT synth Serum (my opinion) : Serum is cold, the filters are not that good, neither are the morph possibilities which strike me more as mathematical manipulations than musical ones.

So yes, underestimated. And in the near future you can use a better skin :wink: .
Yeah, the morph modes in Icarus are more musically pleasing than the equivalent warp modes in Serum. In Serum I would try one warp mode after another and they mostly sound similar... different shades of cold and hard.

Also, Icarus, besides having two filters, have a nice variety of options. The vocal filters are quite useful and here the dual filters are needed because you can then still use the second filter for a classic lowpass.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:08 pm Can we please get back to the topic.

Tone 2 Icarus is the most underrated synth in existence.

Quite a statement considering how many really good synths there are that fly completely under the radar. I would not classify Tone 2 synths as flying under the radar.
:pray:

until next topic wich will surely be derailled again or attemped to....

Back on topic, i never said in this topic i agree with the subject in it's textual terms but in its essence i also agree Icarus is one of my favourites synths and i guess that's what he ment.

Sound quality, Import of audio and resampling (even if it's obviously not a fully fledged sampler), Various manipulation options for oscialtors (quantity and quality), Filters, FX, Wavetable Editor (other people already talked about Quality of life enhancements in tone2 forum) and it's own personal flavour wich just ticks with me

and finally, the assurance that Tone2 is interested in updating and expanding it!

I think that is quite underrated because is not like so mentioned or it seems that few people have it or know anything about it, also this nonsensical article as a prove where Icarus is no where to be found; the most versatile Tone2 synth. I don't know exactly if it has to do with the floating of wavetable synths in the market and the apparent popularity of serum as a default wavetable or go-to synth for many EDM producers, or maybe because serum and others just were released in the best time and best moment, maybe? one example of that is synths like Sylenth1, Harmor, Serum, Diva, Zebra, Avenger... it seems clearly that some factors contribute to this situation, is not under the radar but is underrated and didn't have the attention and popularity other synths have despite that can do sometimes even way more and have a beautiful signature sound on it.

To my ear, Ableton Wavetable and Icarus sound best. so subjective though.

To go back to the first post on page one in this thread.

The comparison with the linked list is hilarious.
I can think of quite a few synths that "should" be on that list. The list contains synths of very different types. therefore one can not compare them with one another. XILS 4 was not on that list either. Does it make it to one of the "most underestimated" synths? I don't think so.

Matter of fact is that the waste majority of the world's softsynths wasn't on that list. Does that make them all "underestimated" ? Dare I take the liberty to doubt ?

Is a synth "better" because the developer shoe-horned in everything he could think of? The only thing missing is a toatoothbrush holder. Does that by definition makes Icarus "better" then a way less feature rich synth then, say, a Minimoog ? I don't think so - either.

IMO this post is just yet another of J's posts where he continue to express his idea that people are unable to see the light.

What is popular isn't necessarily equal to bad or less good. Minimoog too is popular. And one would be a dumb fish swimming along with the rest in the "trendy mainstream" deep down in the dark out of reach for the salvator.

Isn't that what the title of this thread suggest. People have underestimated something and are now going to be enlightened.

sfd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 am To go back to the first post on page one in this thread.

I can think of quite a few synths that "should" be on that list. The list contains synths of very different types. therefore one can not compare them with one another. XILS 4 was not on that list either. Does it make it to one of the "most underestimated" synths? I don't think so.

Matter of fact is that the waste majority of the world's softsynths wasn't on that list. Does that make them all "underestimated" ? Dare I take the liberty to doubt ?

Is a synth "better" because the developer shoe-horned in everything he could think of? The only thing missing is a toatoothbrush holder. Does that by definition makes Icarus "better" then a way less feature rich synth then, say, a Minimoog ? I don't think so - either.

IMO this post is just yet another of J's posts where he continue to express his idea that people are unable to see the light.

What is popular isn't necessarily equal to bad or less good. Minimoog too is popular. And one would be a dumb fish swimming along with the rest in the "trendy mainstream" deep down in the dark out of reach for the salvator.

Isn't that what the title of this thread suggest. People have underestimated something and are now going to be enlightened.
Thanks. Somebody had to say this.

As always, whether a plugin is good or bad is all about taste and personal preferences. It's the same thing with cars, food, clothes, etc, etc.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

sfd wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:31 am To go back to the first post on page one in this thread.

No, you're partly right in that no because a synth is not in the list means that is underrated as a fact, but of course you're exaggerating a little bit and I can see how you are trying to go personal even, I mean stay on topic, I know you're judging my forum picture of a light sort of thing, you have done this before, as I said I don't want really anyone to think like me, but to understand different realities, realities you didn't liked so much and now you're following me everywhere.

We will not discuss here sfd, peace. :hug:

This thread actually inspired me to go and give Icarus another try and I'm pretty impressed after a short time using it. I find it very easy to experiment with tone 2 synths and come up with weird digital stuff. Icarus has excellent resynthesis. I thought I was fine with Harmor, but honestly I just don't enjoy using harmor as much, I don't find it very straight forward to experiment with.

I used to have Gladiator and Electra and sold them after swearing off Tone2 because I found the developer so annoying and arrogant back then. But I must admit I've always clicked with the synths and waly liked the osc and filter sounds. They are also one of the few synths that actually have a variety of very different filters,rather than just a slightly different rolloff for example.

Nice to see that tone2 made the lfo shapes and menus automatable again with icarus, which is great for assigning to hardware for quick changes, scrolling through different shapes of things to come up with weird variations. Gladiator and Electra had automatable everything but then Saurus and the next couple synths had a lot of controls that weren't automatable.

I might just pick up Icarus one day if I see it for sale or a 2 for 1 comes up again on best service for tone 2 stuff.

It would be nice to see mpe support though. Anyone heard if tone2 are thinking of adding that? I'd imagine the developer probably scoffs at that.

Not completely related but Electra2 just had a nice update (free). So Tone2 synths are being actively supported and developed. Mpe ? Who knows?

I guess the Tone2 forum is the best place to ask.

JunSev wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:04 pm

No, you're partly right in that no because a synth is not in the list means that is underrated as a fact, but of course you're exaggerating a little bit and I can see how you are trying to go personal even, I mean stay on topic, I know you're judging my forum picture of a light sort of thing, you have done this before, as I said I don't want really anyone to think like me, but to understand different realities, realities you didn't liked so much and now you're following me everywhere.

We will not discuss here sfd, peace. :hug:
If the first post in this thread is supposed to set the guideline for what-ever the topic is. Then my previous post is one of very few in thsi thread that actually is on topic.

Personal? Well, my, former, friend J.. you actually accused me of being a supporter of drug use and crime, among other things in the "boom boom" thread.

Topic - I don't agree with your idea of different realities. To me that sounds to much as "alternative facts". If the question is, and I guess it was, that Icarus is the most underestimated synth. I'd say. No it's not. Does it deserve a place on that list?
No it does not. Because that list was obviously a list of people's favorites. Not a list of the, supposed to be, "best" ones. That's why I said the comparison was bad. And, I'd add, meaningless.

Think about it. One could have made that same post repalcing Icarus with whatever else that wasn't on the list.

Think about it once more. You said, correct, that the list was a sing of what's popular. And we know what your opinion on popular, trendy mainstream things is. Nevertheless - what about IF ICarus was on that list. Would that change your view on the list and / or the synth ?

Return to “Instruments”