What synth do you actually USE the most in your own music????

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:50 am
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:07 am
BONES wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:31 am That's just wrong. A cool bassline is very often cool because of the sound used to make it. Sculpting the sound to work with the riff is a very important part of making the whole thing sound good. I spend more time and effort getting the bass sounds right than probably any other part of the production process.
The difference is that back then synths were something new, now they are omnipresent and thus nothing special anymore. Back then they did not have much choice indeed, now we do, which includes opting for synths that don't sound modern. Again, I don't want to appeal to young people today, but people of my generation. And we are perfectly fine with classic sounds.
One of my favorite bands, Maze, still use pretty much the same sounds as decades ago. The same goes for Azymuth. Your assumption that all artists try to be up-to-date and use the latest or best gear is incorrect. EDM people have to, yes, because their music lacks content, so sounds is all they have to impress the audience. But most others don't. The better the music itself, the less the choice of synths, or instruments in general, matters.

With that song you posted there it doesn't matter what synth they use, it is just noise to me.

Sorry, most synth string presets just don't sound like authentic strings to me.

Regarding bass lines, bassically, I distinguish between synth bass and electric bass patches, and between slow and percussive ones. Within those broad categories I can use almost anything for a given bass line, it doesn't really matter.
Bones is spot on about the bass-line, you're just wrong.
- timbre and tech + development around it has been a corner stone of music development since forever. some famous examples include: Bach fiddling with the tuning to create a tuning which allows better sounding modulations into a much wider range of key signatures and it changed music forever. mozart and fortepiano, having dynamics on an instrument with keys, harpsichord and organ at that time not really having any. You can argue that bach's or mozart's music was shit, because it partly relied on new tech, although i doubt you have knowledge to back it up.

- separating "music" from "sound" is stupid. the musical idea + the sound behind it invoke the desired response, not only the former. The former only works on it's own after its been adopted by the masses with a signature sound tied to it. Be it an instrument, specific voice, specific synth.
There's literally countless examples of the right instrumentation making an iconic musical idea. Tanita Tikaram - Twist in My Sobriety, George Michael - Careless Whisper, Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit (or come as you are, pick one), Metallica - Master of Puppets, Donna Summer - I Feel Love, Michael Jackson - Smooth Criminal, Gorillaz - Feel Good Inc. And so many many more.
All these iconic ideas have a very specific sound and performance associated with them..
(edit: I will just sneak Darude - Sandstorm and Scooter - Hyper Hyper in there)

There's a classical composer Isaac Albeniz who wrote for Piano, but his compositions are more often played on classical guitar, because they work better on guitar and sound better on guitar - he missed the instrumentation, was never popular on the piano and is ironically one of the most popular composers for guitar. (Sometimes music finds a way itself)

- your dumb-ass elitism towards EDM. It's just asinine. The better the music content the better it's instrumentation is crafted. Good EDM producers know how to do that, mediocre don't. Same goes for classical, that's why historically good composers pushed the envelope of an orchestra or expanded, and good composers still do.
Willingly not being knowledgable about a thing doesn't make that thing lacking in content... It's your fault, not EDMs.

- don't kid yourself that music from the lates 80s/early 90s (you said 30 years ago right?) has much more content than music of today. Look at it objectively and you can can find just as much vapid shit in the 90s as you can in the 2010s
People that like Mozart or Bach don't care about those using new tech back then. They don't even know usually. They just listen to it and like it (I personally don't, classical music sounds cold to me, no soul). But when I listen to modern synth sounds, I do not like them at all.

I am not separating music from sound, but ranking music above sound. When you have a good song, it will be good no matter which instruments are played (provided the musicians are good as well, of course).

Those songs you listed are not iconic because of the specific sounds used, we simply only know them that way. If other sounds had been used, we would have liked them just the same. The most important thing about songs is the human voice. Tikaram, Jackson, Summer etc. had very distinctive voices.

Regarding Albeniz, piano and guitar are two different categories. So of course it is different. But it would make no difference if his music were played on any instrument within the same category, for instance on a Yamaha, Bösendorfer, or Steinway piano.

I just hate the sound of EDM music.
I disagree. While there were poor songs in the 80s as well of course, there were a lot of good ones. I have never heard a good EDM song, though. There is just something about that sound that repels me.
And I think it is no coincidence that EDM is often instrumental, those people know they have nothing of interest to say.

Why people can't understand or respect a different opinion?!
Our tools get higher in technology and efficiency but our brains still the same old shit (or maybe worst!).
There are thousands of music styles and genres over the world and some still find it a puzzle that people use that synth or that instrument differently!
Grow up people!

I am not separating music from sound, but ranking music above sound. When you have a good song, it will be good no matter which instruments are played (provided the musicians are good as well, of course).

Those songs you listed are not iconic because of the specific sounds used, we simply only know them that way. If other sounds had been used, we would have liked them just the same. The most important thing about songs is the human voice. Tikaram, Jackson, Summer etc. had very distinctive voices.

https://youtu.be/Ko0drJx7dkk
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 pm The most important thing about songs is the human voice. Tikaram, Jackson, Summer etc. had very distinctive voices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Hm.. I think I mostly use my hardware synths but vsti.. Maybe Sylenth.

Though I have way too many vstis so I TRY to start every song with a different synth.

Absurd :D

layzer wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:19 pm
Hink wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:08 pm The most important thing about songs is the human voice. Tikaram, Jackson, Summer etc. had very distinctive voices.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcSlcNfThUA
do not disrespect tiny tim mofo.
or you will suffer.
mod or rocker ill put you down.

hey...I quoted e=crooner and posted maiden...I didnt say a word about tt
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

:hihi:

ill take you all on for tim :tantrum:

ill have to dig out my remixes of that one day.

e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:00 pm
People that like Mozart or Bach don't care about those using new tech back then. They don't even know usually. They just listen to it and like it (I personally don't, classical music sounds cold to me, no soul). But when I listen to modern synth sounds, I do not like them at all.

Regarding Albeniz, piano and guitar are two different categories. So of course it is different. But it would make no difference if his music were played on any instrument within the same category, for instance on a Yamaha, Bösendorfer, or Steinway piano.

I disagree. While there were poor songs in the 80s as well of course, there were a lot of good ones. I have never heard a good EDM song, though. There is just something about that sound that repels me.
And I think it is no coincidence that EDM is often instrumental, those people know they have nothing of interest to say.
Bach wanted such a tuning so he could modulate into very distant key signatures, something that's not possible with a mean-tone tuning because distant signatures to the home signature are are not in tune at all.
Also, the call for dynamics in music by composers is what has driven the development of fortepiano. Music tech inventions don't happen just for the f**k of it, they happen because artists ask for it.
Just like Stockhausen (and related) composers were driving studio technology in the 60s...

Yamaha, Bosendorfer or Steinway piano are not "same category" they're an identical instrument. It's like saying an iconic Donna Summer line would play out the same whether a Minimoog, Behringer D, Diva or The Legend were used. Which is most likely true. If it were an yamaha DX instead of a Moog-like instrument, the song would sound fundamentally different and you can only guess whether or not would it have the same impact.

I wasn't being at all personal here.
I prefer literally any other decade to the 80s considering the sound aesthetics, including 2010s EDM.
Feel free to post example of good 80s songs (i posted a couple already, despite the fact that i generally don't like the sound of the 80s).

There's a lot of instrumental music beside EDM that is considered art for very good reasons. If you don't understand instrumental music conceptually, then I can't really take your musical opinion of any relevance, at all?
You can't say "classical music has no soul" :D there's been so much classical music written that sounds amazing.
Being so dismissive of a whole genre is shortsighted at best...
Last edited by Ploki on Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

for now though i shall leave you with the secrets of trance

lol

Ploki wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:32 pm
e-crooner wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:00 pm

Bach wanted such a tuning so he could modulate into very distant key signatures, something that's not possible with a mean-tone tuning because distant signatures to the home signature are are not in tune at all.
Also, the call for dynamics in music by composers is what has driven the development of fortepiano. Music tech inventions don't happen just for the f**k of it, they happen because artists ask for it.
Just like Stockhausen (and related) composers were driving studio technology in the 60s...

Yamaha, Bosendorfer or Steinway piano are not "same category" they're an identical instrument. It's like saying an iconic Donna Summer line would play out the same whether a Minimoog, Behringer D, Diva or The Legend were used. Which is most likely true. If it were an yamaha DX instead of a Moog-like instrument, the song would sound fundamentally different and you can only guess whether or not would it have the same impact.

I wasn't being at all personal here.
I prefer literally any other decade to the 80s considering the sound aesthetics, including 2010s EDM.
Feel free to post example of good 80s songs (i posted a couple already, despite the fact that i generally don't like the sound of the 80s).

There's a lot of instrumental music beside EDM that is considered art for very good reasons. If you don't understand instrumental music conceptually, then I can't really take your musical opinion of any relevance, at all?
You can't say "classical music has no soul" :D there's been so much classical music written that sounds amazing.
Being so dismissive of a whole genre is shortsighted at best...
The important synth innovations have all been made a long time ago.

If the DX7 programmer is an expert, he or she could certainly make authentic Moog-like sounds on it. But I heard that synth was difficult to program and many people only used the presets because of that.

With me it is the other way round, I love the way music sounded in the 80's. And judging from the many comments under 80's videos, even from people who were not even born yet back then, there is something timeless about it.

Definitely, I also love a couple of instrumental tracks, which I indeed consider art. But EDM is just a very different drawer. Another genre overwhelmingly instrumental that I don't like is Smooth Jazz, it is also cheap, albeit it in another way.

I didn't say classical music has no soul, I said it sounds cold TO ME, no soul. Just like when you say it sounds amazing, it means TO YOU. It is my opinion and applies to 99% of classical music I have heard so far. There are a few romantic French pieces I like, though. But Mozart etc., no thanks.

nvrmnd
Last edited by Passing Bye on Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”