Is Serum worth cashing out for, when you get Vital for free?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Current Hive 2 Massive X RAPID Synthesizer Serum Vaporizer2 Vital VPS Avenger

stoopicus wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:43 am I just realized I paid for Vital Plus. No regrets. Just reinstalled it and played around for a bit. Still works great. If it's abandoned, eh whatever, no biggie to me, I still like it. It's not as if the $25 was a waste.

If it's not abandoned, then cool!

Serum is great, I don't understand why these two are stacked up as if they are rivals. Why is there a need to "defend Serum"? Both are really good.
What was done with Serum is extraordinary, in the basic sense of it.
The developer managed to create a synth which is an absolute standard since soon 10 years. It can only be applauded and respected.

The question of this thread is not that, the question is: does it still justify a price tag which is higher than some new synths power house in almost 2024? That's just from a buyer standpoint.
The answer to me is no, if I compare to Current for example which is 30$ chapter.
Yet, if you will want it, serum will bring you a ton of awesome presets and a ton of support all over the web.

(On a very personal side note, I still prefere spire in term of sound even if the UI of serum is way better, but that's only me).

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:33 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:28 am
Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:27 am
Lbdunequest wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:47 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:32 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:28 pm it was intended to be “so sorry” but I want to be less dramatic :dog:

You just can’t hold yourself in demoting Serum but it took 4 years for the Unfinished to get it, so we need to be kind with you because you may never get it indeed :hihi:
I don't demote Serum, it is a very nice piece of software.
I see it a bit like a ferrari testarossa if you prefere, a work of art... But not the cutting edge anymore.
How old are you?

...In my head.
It shows! :hihi:

:hug:
Sure.
But I have to say that the way of defending Serum here is mostly by attacking the person, not the message (I am talking about my earlier questions, not my lame jokes)

It shows too.

So far I didn't see any proper argument to defend serum, a part from the ones I gave myself.

Oh yes there was the quote about the oversampling of the oscillators.... Which was of course an argument that was really valid in 2014...
it’s not an argument that is required. It’s you that can’t get to properly work with Serum in order to understand your reviews. One day you will… (4 years as well perhaps). :tu:
MuLab of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:58 am it’s not an argument that is required. It’s you that can’t get to properly work with Serum in order to understand your reviews. One day you will… (4 years as well perhaps). :tu:
Yeah sure... I have a scientific background. It is fun to have cute verbal fights, that's the essence of KVR but at the end I would need arguments.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:03 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:58 am it’s not an argument that is required. It’s you that can’t get to properly work with Serum in order to understand your reviews. One day you will… (4 years as well perhaps). :tu:
Yeah sure... I have a scientific background. It is fun to have cute verbal fights, that's the essence of KVR but at the end I would need arguments.
Great! Now it’s time to get sounds background :pray:

liquidsound wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:05 am
Again, just a personal attack and no argument. I lost interest. Bye 👋.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:08 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:05 am
Again, just a personal attack and no argument. I lost interest. Bye 👋.
Of course…

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:33 am
liquidsound wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:28 am
Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:27 am
Lbdunequest wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:47 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:32 pm
liquidsound wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:28 pm it was intended to be “so sorry” but I want to be less dramatic :dog:

You just can’t hold yourself in demoting Serum but it took 4 years for the Unfinished to get it, so we need to be kind with you because you may never get it indeed :hihi:
I don't demote Serum, it is a very nice piece of software.
I see it a bit like a ferrari testarossa if you prefere, a work of art... But not the cutting edge anymore.
How old are you?

...In my head.
It shows! :hihi:

:hug:
Sure.
But I have to say that the way of defending Serum here is mostly by attacking the person, not the message (I am talking about my earlier questions, not my lame jokes)

It shows too.

So far I didn't see any proper argument to defend serum, a part from the ones I gave myself.

Oh yes there was the quote about the oversampling of the oscillators.... Which was of course an argument that was really valid in 2014...
Serum sounds just great, not worse, but better. Subjectivly ofcourse.
Serum has ability to just drag a loaded patch in to daw and it converts to audio. No other vst has that.
Serum comes with FX version of a plugin.
Serum has a Wavetable editor!
Serum has better and much more filters.
Serum also has a sampler too!
Serum has better Unison options.
Serum has Chaos oscillator.
Serum LFO's goes up to 100hz, while Current just to 40hz. Yes i need that.
Last edited by Lbdunequest on Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

There is no much that can be done when someone can’t hear the quality during the process of constructing the sounds.
The few are blessed with an extraordinary synth.
It’s not an argument but an experience.

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:29 am Serum sounds just great, not worse, but better. Subjectivly ofcourse.
Agreed (on the subjectivity of it :-))
Serum has ability to just drag a loaded patch in to daw and it converts to audio. No other vst has that.
I didn't know that, but it doesn't seems to work on my DAW (Bitwig), interested if you have a tuto
Yes and I love that! Few other synths have that..
Yes, and it isn't a given, even today.
It has indeed 50% more filters than current. But the EQ is way way simpler after. Nevertheless, you are right. I also like the fat know and the fact than both have a Mix knob on each filter.
Yes, my bad.
This one I noted it earlier, fully agreed also.
Yes, that's a good one too... Fun for crazy hyper-mega-saw leads.
Last edited by Jac459 on Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:54 am
Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:29 am Serum sounds just great, not worse, but better. Subjectivly ofcourse.
I didn't know that, but it doesn't seems to work on my DAW (Bitwig), interested if you have a tuto
It has indeed 50% more filters than current. But the EQ is way way simpler after. Nevertheless, you are right. I also like the fat know and the fact than both have a Mix knob on each filter.
Yes, my bad.
You just go to the top left corner in Serum logo and just drag appeared Audio icon :)

And indeed Morphing EQ is really powerful to use as a filter :) In general i love that current has ability to load as many different FX in the synth. If i want 9 distortions, i can have that.
I also like those spectral modes (and lightyears better then ones in Vital), i would be using those. And Bass presets are amazing. But so many packs for Serum. Current has its strenghts, but the strenghts in Serum personaly for me goes above what Current offers. Serum feels more complete for me.

p.s. Serum 2 is on the way just no one knows when.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lbdunequest on Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:10 am You just go to the top left corner in Serum logo and just drag appeared Audio icon :)
Awesome, thanks mate!

Lbdunequest wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:10 am
Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:54 am
Yes, my bad.
You just go to the top left corner in Serum logo and just drag appeared Audio icon :)

And indeed Morphing EQ is really powerful to use as a filter :) In general i love that current has ability to load as many different FX in the synth. If i want 9 distortions, i can have that.
I also like those spectral modes (and lightyears better then ones in Vital), i would be using those. And Bass presets are amazing. But so many packs for Serum. Current has its strenghts, but the strenghts in Serum personaly for me goes above what Current offers. Serum feels more complete for me.

p.s. Serum 2 is on the way just no one knows when.
Totally agree mate.

I think the thing I personally miss a lot from Serum are the spectral modes. But indeed, so many packs, excellent classic sounds. Serum is not the most successful soft synth of the past decade for nothing...

I may sound less enthusiastic than some other hardcore (understatement) lovers of the synth but I will buy the v2 as soon as it is out. No question about it.

On the other hand, Serum is not the only synth to have some awesomeness inside. Phase Plant for me is today the king if we mix all categories of synths. DS Thorn and Spire are some fat sounding f**kers and would deserve way more love.
U-He stuffs are great also, UVI too. I am not a big big fan of pigments but many people love it too death.
We live a wonderful time, with so many great synths to chose. The one I want to learn to master more is polymer from Bitwig. It is an hidden gem.

Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 am but I will buy the v2 as soon as it is out
According to sources, it will be a free update to previous owners. No need to buy.

To add to the list, Serum doesn’t need an internet connection c/r “BS” to work, and that’s a huge developer’s act of fate in the users for a synth that has some serious reasons to be desired at any cost…

It’s my primary synth and is not in my signature because the others are “the” extras if you will.

Current is a hell of a tool not for the OSC (they are OK) but for the FX. SerumFX is not to be taken lightly and it comes with the whole modulation section “and” the OCS on top!

You own it and I’m surprised you haven’t explore it to its depth according to your reaction to the above list. You’ll be surprised.
Pigments - Diva - Tal U-No-LX - Tal Sampler

Biscotto wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:33 pm
Jac459 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 am but I will buy the v2 as soon as it is out
According to sources, it will be a free update to previous owners. No need to buy.
I heard the contrary.
But if you are right, then my whole point about serum being too expansive now is wrong.
To add to the list, Serum doesn’t need an internet connection c/r “BS” to work, and that’s a huge developer’s act of fate in the users for a synth that has some serious reasons to be desired at any cost…
That is true.
It’s my primary synth and is not in my signature because the others are “the” extras if you will.

Current is a hell of a tool not for the OSC (they are OK) but for the FX. SerumFX is not to be taken lightly and it comes with the whole modulation section “and” the OCS on top!
This one about the oscillators of current, I disagree :-).
You own it and I’m surprised you haven’t explore it to its depth according to your reaction to the above list. You’ll be surprised.
Well, I have been a long reason studios users with a strict no-vst policy.
Reason is full of hidden gems like Europa or Expanse which are good competitors of serum.
When I moved to bitwig , my first vst was Serum. But it was somewhat eclipsed by the awesomeness of Bitwig (it is a question of taste here, I am not saying Bitwig is perfect, it is just perfect for me). Then I bought phase plant and it switched my attention away from serum, if I want to start a patch from scratch, I always go to phase plant. Then I started to buy a shit ton of other stuffs and finally end-up using serum less and less.
One big strength about serum is its modulation mechanism, but most of the case, with any synth, I use the one of Bitwig, preferably with a CLAP compatible plugin in order to have polyphonic modulations (U-He Hive or Diva, Surge XT).

This way, I don't have to re-learn modulations for each synths. It is unified.

Sorry for this long post almost off-topic. It is just to point that a story with an instrument is also heavily dependant on timing.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”