Nektar Panorama T4/T6 MIDI Controller Keyboards

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This almost looks perfect (for me all that is missing is an XY pad and morphing as in Kore) - I hope you can generate the sort of user community we have managed to with Kore and Komplete Kontrol to create templates for every need.

However, since I have multiple decent keyboards already please consider bringing out a keyboardless version (tbh I don't care about drum pads either, just the knobs, buttons and screen will do me)

Hi Justin,

Will Nektarine be made available to the P series eventually?

justin3am wrote: ....
2) If Nektarine is not installed when you try to open a project which includes an instance of Nektarine, the project will load but Cubase will inform you that the plug-in is missing.
So it's indeed a wrapper. And you're dependant on the fact your wrapper has been installed or not, to preserve the integrity of a project.

Sorry, but after having dealt with some other wrappers in the past, the only way to deal in a sensible way is to combine ANY midi device/controller with plugins that have their OWN Midi Map (Midi Cc/Synth parameter) embedded. (Like all Xils synths for example, or many others)

This doesnt mean that Nektar cant be good as a common Midi controller ( I use Novation SL MKII for midi control, BUT I dont use Automap with it )

But wrappers .... not for me anymore
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

How is the Aftertouch on the Nektar keyboards? That's the main issue for me with keyboards in this price range - the Aftertouch is mostly very bad.

justin3am wrote:There will not be a Linux version of Nektarine.
:(

It should be already time for Linux to be treated a first class OS.

pc999 wrote:
justin3am wrote:There will not be a Linux version of Nektarine.
:(

It should be already time for Linux to be treated a first class OS.
Should it? AFAIK, Urs Heckmann said not long ago that the downloads for the Linux versions of their plugins slowly reach 1%, so they decided to hire someone (don't think full time though) for maintaining them. The majority of hosts aren't available for Linux either. Why would it be treated like the others then, with such a lack of user base, making it hard to deliver for the majority of people?

IMO, Linux people should stop acting like they're the center of the universe, while being extremely niche in reality. In case you work for a living, you may see the point of delivering work for the majority of the market, not the extreme minority. You won't make any money that way.

chk071 wrote: Should it? AFAIK, Urs Heckmann said not long ago that the downloads for the Linux versions of their plugins slowly reach 1%, so they decided to hire someone (don't think full time though) for maintaining them. The majority of hosts aren't available for Linux either. Why would it be treated like the others then, with such a lack of user base, making it hard to deliver for the majority of people?
You mean the beta software, that (last time I tried it) are quite buggy and quite harder to install that their Windows counterpart? :hihi:

Anyway they are doing progress and it is way better than others are doing.

Bitwig, and others, seems to be happy with their Linux support.

pc999 wrote: Bitwig, and others, seems to be happy with their Linux support.
Maybe. Maybe not. You never know that until you see the figures. Let's just say, i'd be surprised with so few using Linux for audio. Or, in general, on their home PC's. The internet, which is full of minorities, is no measurement. Real life figures are.

TBH, IMO, the issue with Linux already starts on a very basic level. There is no company with manpower enough to handle a complex OS. Canonical seems to be the biggest player, and even they struggle hard. Unity should already have been dropped 2 years ago, but, it wasn't until the version which came in late last year that they dropped it, and even when they did, they still are running the XServer now instead of Wayland, which they actually wanted to implement, when switching back to a Gnome 3 based desktop. And, IF a company which is big enough decided to go full on Linux, it would be a commercial distro, because you just can't develop something free with the amount of manpower Microsoft or Apple has, and get it on the same level or stability, and complexity. I'm afraid the issue is already on the root level.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlesisVi61 wrote:Not much cheaper than the original Panorama series...are you congentially insane?The T6 is $200 cheaper than the P6...I'd say that's a significant price difference!When you consider that the T-series has features from their flagship series,has good build quality and a very usable display screen....you'd realize what a tremendous value the T-series really is.
T4 is £279. P4 is £299 on Amazon uk
T6 is £349. P6 is £370 on Amazon uk

Build quality on my P4 isn't all that. A cheap plastic toy case feel. The keys are nice though, as are the pitch wheels and flying fader. The keyboard spent 18 months perched on a slide out keyboard tray in my desk and yet the micro usb socket supplying the power to the motorised fader has got flakey. The pads are not sensitive enough (even with the lightest sensitivity setting) so you have to really whack the pads to get them to sound. No light touches to trigger here. Then those 8 faders... Why bother?

Programming VST or Cubase settings is easier and quicker with the mouse on the PC rather than having to press buttons to move the cursor to the "next or previous page" tabs. There should be dedicated buttons to do this
It's amazing to me,that some people are so out of touch with reality,as to expect every imaginable feature under the sun,for a rock bottom price....do you not realize the cost of research and development,extensive programming,man hours and an assembly plant?You do realize,that there is a profit margin to reach,in order to remain in business and flourish...right?Damn....you must be a millennial....if you were walking the earth 30 years ago,you could fathom and even appreciate what you have to work with,for the money.

Mass produced technology becomes cheaper and competition drives prices down. shock horror!
Imagine laying down $3,000 for a hardware workstation,another $2,000 for a hardware multitracker and not even having 1/10th the sonic possibilities that a $500 PC,$500 worth of software and a $400 midi controller can produce.

I don't have to imagine. I've owned a few workstations and sequenced with everything from ZX spectrums, Acorn Archemedies and Atari STs etc. Back then I could also buy a house for 20% of what they cost now. So what is your point?
You know what?Scratch all that....just take the time to do some research on the internet and see if you can find a better offering in this price range.
I was on Synthtopia's website,and some butt-wipe was complaining about the Panorama T-series not having polyphonic aftertouch...I mean...not even the flagship Panorama series has that...wtf??[/color][/b] Personally...I think the Panorama T-series is the best thing yet,from Nektar...as it's a perfect ratio of features and price and unlike the P-series,the T-series is much more aesthetically pleasing! :tu:
You seem quite invested in this product?

AlesisVi61 wrote:Not much cheaper than the original Panorama series...are you congentially insane?The T6 is $200 cheaper than the P6...I'd say that's a significant price difference!When you consider that the T-series has features from their flagship series,has good build quality and a very usable display screen....you'd realize what a tremendous value the T-series really is.
T4 is £279. P4 is £299 on Amazon uk
T6 is £349. P6 is £370 on Amazon uk

Build quality on my P4 isn't all that. A cheap plastic toy case feel. The keys are nice though, as are the pitch wheels and flying fader. The keyboard spent 18 months perched on a slide out keyboard tray in my desk and yet the micro usb socket supplying the power to the motorised fader has got flakey. The pads are not sensitive enough (even with the lightest sensitivity setting) so you have to really whack the pads to get them to sound. No light touches to trigger here. Then those 8 faders... Why bother?

Programming VST or Cubase settings is easier and quicker with the mouse on the PC rather than having to press buttons to move the cursor to the "next or previous page" tabs. There should be dedicated buttons to do this
It's amazing to me,that some people are so out of touch with reality,as to expect every imaginable feature under the sun,for a rock bottom price....do you not realize the cost of research and development,extensive programming,man hours and an assembly plant?You do realize,that there is a profit margin to reach,in order to remain in business and flourish...right?Damn....you must be a millennial....if you were walking the earth 30 years ago,you could fathom and even appreciate what you have to work with,for the money.

Mass produced technology becomes cheaper and competition drives prices down. shock horror!
Imagine laying down $3,000 for a hardware workstation,another $2,000 for a hardware multitracker and not even having 1/10th the sonic possibilities that a $500 PC,$500 worth of software and a $400 midi controller can produce.

I don't have to imagine. I've owned a few workstations and sequenced with everything from ZX spectrums, Acorn Archemedies and Atari STs etc. Back then I could also buy a house for 20% of what they cost now. So what is your point?
You know what?Scratch all that....just take the time to do some research on the internet and see if you can find a better offering in this price range.
I was on Synthtopia's website,and some butt-wipe was complaining about the Panorama T-series not having polyphonic aftertouch...I mean...not even the flagship Panorama series has that...wtf??[/color][/b] Personally...I think the Panorama T-series is the best thing yet,from Nektar...as it's a perfect ratio of features and price and unlike the P-series,the T-series is much more aesthetically pleasing! :tu:
You seem quite invested in this product?

double posty

double posty

justin3am wrote: Let me know if you have any specific questions about the Panorama T series or Nektarine.
I used to have a Nektar Panorama P6 over a couple of years, then bought a Roli and just now, I bought an Akai Advance and would like to know if its worth upgrading to a Nektar T6 Controller.
So, I got some questions about Nektarine:
Will it support auto tagging, also with the opportunity to add custom auto tags?
Does Nektarine support 32 & 64bit plugins at the same time?
Are there plugin maps and if so - how many will be included for the controller?
Is there support for Kontakt, Omnisphere Libraries?
How do you handle duplicated patches or banks?
Multi VST support and split keys?
Does Nektarine support MPE input for a Roli Seaboard/Blocks?
When will be the release of Nektarine?

Thanks a lot Justin3am

Double posty!?

Lotuzia wrote: Sorry, but after having dealt with some other wrappers in the past, the only way to deal in a sensible way is to combine ANY midi device/controller with plugins that have their OWN Midi Map (Midi Cc/Synth parameter) embedded. (Like all Xils synths for example, or many others)

This doesnt mean that Nektar cant be good as a common Midi controller ( I use Novation SL MKII for midi control, BUT I dont use Automap with it )

But wrappers .... not for me anymore
I totally understand, I had similar experiences with automap. I'm still hesitant to use the word "wrapper" to describe Nektarine because it's not totally accurate. You don't need to use Nektarine to control plug-ins from the Panorama T-series, but there are a lot of benefits if you do.

We can only decide for ourselves if a products is right for the way we work... but I think that if you base your opinion on your experience with automap, you should give Nektarine a try, as it's a different concept.

There are many things we can't accomplish without hosting the plug-in. Comprehensive patch management for example. Also, most plug-ins can't send parameter information back to the controller on their own (so no parameter names/formatted values). When using the Panorama P/T-series with our DAW integration software, we can get parameter information from the DAW, without Nektarine. However, every DAW has it's own patch management system and being able to navigate patches in a more consistent way, has been one of the most common feature requests, since we started. So that is a big focus with Nektarine.

Another advantage of Nektarine, is that it will work with any DAW which supports VST2/3 or AU plug-ins, so you can control your plug-ins from the Panorama T-series even if we don't provide DAW integration for the DAW you use.

Our approach has always been to facilitate better control, without forcing users into a specific workflow. We are all about flexibility and enhancing a user's current set of tools. If you want to use Nektarine, I think you will enjoy it. If you don't you can still get the benefits of the Panorama T-series.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”