Super 8 - New polysynth by Native Instruments

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fmr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm
mickbenjamins wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm What if the goal of this synth isnt to be a new mega synth, but to be a simple, fun-to-use polysynth that makes it easy to dial in good sounding patches, that fills up a void in the product lineup?
And having to fire Reaktor for that? :nutter:

I could understand if it was an independent plug-in, like Pro-53 was, but it isn't. :?

If you want to "fill voids" what about updating Absynth and FM8, instead?
That's the thing for me... there are a number of excellent synths in Reaktor... but having to fire up Reaktor (and how clumsy it is) means I basically don't use them. The thought comes in my head, hmm, this synth might be useful here and then the next thought is, but then I have to use Reaktor and I choose a regular VST synth for the task. I've already learned the hard way... if it is Reaktor synth, I'm just not gonna use it. Otherwise Super 8 looks like a fine synth... but no thanks. I have enough great softsynths that I can afford to be extremely choosey.

Then you use it within Komplete Kontrol and you don't have to worry at all about whatever you consider is "clumsy" about Reaktor. Then it's a preset like any other, and you can continue tweaking if you so will. Just like any other synth.

wagtunes wrote: Here's the problem. As a simple synth goes, compared to other simple synths, this brings ZERO new to the table. Now, throw an $89 price tag on top of it and it's absolutely ludicrous.

I have tons of simple synths. I can get the sounds that this thing gives out of many of them, and for a lot less than $89.

That's the problem. NOT that it's a simple synth.
Its as it is with everything else.

Appeal and Choice are the keywords.

(Same reason why monitor manufacturers usually offer at least half a dozen different submodels of what is in essence the same darn monitor.)

You buy what you want/need/like, ignore the rest.

Its a very good sounding synth, but also a CPU hog...Init preset - 13% of CPU meter and any patch goes from 15-18%. Some sort of bug?

This will be a nice synth when I finally upgrade from Komplete Ultimate 10 to 13.
I can't see spending money on it as a separate purchase when it's a garantee that it goes into Ultimate 13..

The problem is as people have mentioned, if you're not using Komplete Kontrol, which I don't really, then it's a Reaktor instrument that does a good job of being a decent hardware poly emulation, of which there are plenty out there from other venders.

Teksonik wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:58 pm
fmr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:38 pm
Teksonik wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 pm :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:
:lol: Totally understand you. YAVA... :hihi:
Exactly ! :P

Have we "hit the wall" when it come to synthesis ? Nothing new, nothing better ? :?

pretty much

some slight improvements (cpu dependant) but really, its all already been done in hardware (and more besides which is impossible in software)

the only difference is, with software, a dev can pick and choose what to put in a synth much easier/cheaper than hardware. Soundwise its all much of a muchness....

have to say though, having only 8 voice poly as a selling point in 2019 sucks balls

Elektronisch wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:37 pm Its a very good sounding synth, but also a CPU hog...Init preset - 13% of CPU meter and any patch goes from 15-18%. Some sort of bug?
No, just the way Reaktor is. Monark hits 6-7% CPU for a single voice on my PC (but it's set to run at twice the sample rate by default), whereas with 8 voices going, Super 8 is never going above 14%, so this is pretty good all things considering, by comparison. 7 voices more than Monark in half the CPU.
AnX wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:49 pmhave to say though, having only 8 voice poly as a selling point in 2019 sucks balls
Max poly can be increased in instrument properties if you use full Reaktor.

I'll demo it but with all the other synths I have it better beat the pants off in performance from the likes of Sylenth1 because currently Sylenth uses the least cpu I have seen... though for a price I guess.

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:11 pm
fmr wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:20 pm
mickbenjamins wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:06 pm What if the goal of this synth isnt to be a new mega synth, but to be a simple, fun-to-use polysynth that makes it easy to dial in good sounding patches, that fills up a void in the product lineup?
And having to fire Reaktor for that? :nutter:

I could understand if it was an independent plug-in, like Pro-53 was, but it isn't. :?

If you want to "fill voids" what about updating Absynth and FM8, instead?
That's the thing for me... there are a number of excellent synths in Reaktor... but having to fire up Reaktor (and how clumsy it is) means I basically don't use them. The thought comes in my head, hmm, this synth might be useful here and then the next thought is, but then I have to use Reaktor and I choose a regular VST synth for the task. I've already learned the hard way... if it is Reaktor synth, I'm just not gonna use it. Otherwise Super 8 looks like a fine synth... but no thanks. I have enough great softsynths that I can afford to be extremely choosey.
I have my most used ensembles saved as instrument racks in Live, there's no opening Reaktor step then. I don't find Reaktor clumsy at all, tbh the framework doesn't even come to play when using Prism for example. Double click in the browser or drag and drop, get playing.

wagtunes wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm
Here's the problem. As a simple synth goes, compared to other simple synths, this brings ZERO new to the table. Now, throw an $89 price tag on top of it and it's absolutely ludicrous.

I have tons of simple synths. I can get the sounds that this thing gives out of many of them, and for a lot less than $89.

It costs $69. But I realize you'll be angry no matter what. NI offering a product you don't want = A PROBLEM FOR YOU. Life is incredibly difficult, it's true. I hope you find a way to sleep at night.

I feel like I'm one of a few who find this GUI just gorgeous and refreshing to look at. Seems to be a warm-up for Massive X.

mholloway wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:34 pm
Here's the problem. As a simple synth goes, compared to other simple synths, this brings ZERO new to the table. Now, throw an $89 price tag on top of it and it's absolutely ludicrous.

It costs $69. But I realize you'll be angry no matter what. NI offering a product you don't want = A PROBLEM FOR YOU. Life is incredibly difficult, it's true. I hope you find a way to sleep at night.
:lol:
The problem of older men is not to find sleep...
The problem of them is to wake up several times in the night 8)

mcbpete wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 3:41 pm ...Plus getting a big chunk off for taking part in that Nike competition they did last month sweetened the deal ....
What Nike competion :?:

Sounds fantastic too me. With an e-voucher, one can grab it for $44, which is a decent price. And as someone mentioned, the GUI looks refreshing. A very good synth in my humble opinion.

Because we have so many synths we often start comparing. But why not see it as just a new instrument and whether it is doing its job or not? It might not be the most unique one, but as you would all know better than me, since all synthesis options are long saturated, it is just a matter of creating something that is fast and easy to use, looks and sounds good. It is not always required to be original/unique. No offence, but if you don't like, move on. There will always be some who don't like it, and some who will like it and buy it.

Again, due respect to all. I don't want to get into any debate, but thought to say something after reading the posts.

Cheers!
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Thu May 02, 2019 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:18 pm Then you use it within Komplete Kontrol and you don't have to worry at all about whatever you consider is "clumsy" about Reaktor. Then it's a preset like any other, and you can continue tweaking if you so will. Just like any other synth.
I have Komplete disinterest in Komplete Kontrol

Return to “Instruments”