Spectral Shifting Plugin: FRQ Shift by Tonsturm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

epiphaneia wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:51 am BPM sync gets ramped up to 64 bars instead of just 4 (does anyone think of ambient musicians these days?)
Yes!
Even better would be the possibility of prime number bars and not only even number bar choices.

Thanks for your input, we‘ll consider that for an update!
Regarding more bars: As a workaround you could try very low settings in Hz Mode. 0.01 Hz = 100 seconds 😉
Regarding prime number bars: For now you could try using triplet or dotted to achieve what you want.
Gustav Scholda
Audio Programming & Sound Design
https://gs-dsp.com

gustav-scholda wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:23 pm Regarding more bars: As a workaround you could try very low settings in Hz Mode. 0.01 Hz = 100 seconds 😉
:party: that´s what I do while demo-ing, but I´m sure you´ll agree that this is less convenient and not as precise (unless I set the tempo of my song according to that, which would be an -imho- unnecessary limitation). To me, this plugin shines especially at these butter-y super slow sweeps. That should be relatively easy to implement...

Anyway, it´s nice to see you being active here.

gustav-scholda wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:23 pm Thanks for your input, we‘ll consider that for an update!
Regarding more bars: As a workaround you could try very low settings in Hz Mode. 0.01 Hz = 100 seconds 😉
Regarding prime number bars: For now you could try using triplet or dotted to achieve what you want.
Good recommendation, thanks.

well, you‘ll love one of the updates we already have in the pipeline then @epiphaneia 😉
Gustav Scholda

Technically I don’t know why aliasing should ever be a problem with frequency shifters. Is this just marketing for people who don’t know better? Of course you can push frequencies beyond the Nyquist, but that is practically never happening... The usual and useful shift area do not extend the frequency significantly...(you don’t shift above the hearing range, because you would not hear the result anyway...)
I might use the video demos for inspiration to build similar effects with my stock freq shifters...; - )
The price range to consider such a (DSP wise) simple to implement effect is more in the 29,- range, or without iLok maybe 45,-... ;-)
I don’t complain about all the nifty modulation UI stuff around it though, but that would not justify such a price... I bet you would sell more than twice as many copies for half the price...

gustav-scholda wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:43 pm well, you‘ll love one of the updates we already have in the pipeline then @epiphaneia 😉
Is one of the updates going to be a $69 intro price? :pray:

gustav-scholda wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:43 pm well, you‘ll love one of the updates we already have in the pipeline then @epiphaneia 😉
:tu: I´ll keep an eye on it!
simmo75 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:11 pm Is one of the updates going to be a $69 intro price? :pray:
:hihi:

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:48 pm Technically I don’t know why aliasing should ever be a problem with frequency shifters. Is this just marketing for people who don’t know better? Of course you can push frequencies beyond the Nyquist, but that is practically never happening... The usual and useful shift area do not extend the frequency significantly...(you don’t shift above the hearing range, because you would not hear the result anyway...)
I think you have a misunderstanding of aliasing here. Indeed it‘s quite difficult to shift beyond Nyquist, but you would definitely hear it because the frequencies get mirrored at Nyquist, resulting in aliasing. What‘s really important though, is that you would also get aliasing when shifting down. Here, the same thing happens, frequencies get mirrored at DC (e.g. Shift a 80 Hz Sine down by 200 Hz and you get 120 Hz). Putting the whole thing in a feedback loop makes it even worse, because on each iteration the shift is applied again. The aliasing frequencies can be interesting, so that‘s why we made the anti-aliasing optional. I hope that makes sense?
Gustav Scholda

Just to remind everyone:
Only 5DAYS Left! 30% Introductory offer until 18.02.20

Cheers,
Tilman
tonsturm.com

tonsturm wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 pm Just to remind everyone:

Cheers,
Tilman
tonsturm.com
It’s too expensive for what it is mate. It’s a cool product but overpriced, imho.

simmo75 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:30 pm
tonsturm wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 pm Just to remind everyone:

Cheers,
Tilman
tonsturm.com
It’s too expensive for what it is mate. It’s a cool product but overpriced, imho.
Unfortunately, I agree. I really wish it was cheaper, cause I just can't justify paying that price for a frequency shifter. I'll have to wait for a good sale. Still, no hate here it does sound very good, no doubt. I also wish them good luck, great plugins and high quality sample libraries, I hope it's gonna work for them.

Hey guys, all good and sure complaining about the price is absolutely fine. We are most happy to hear that you like the quality of our work!

Just to point out the things we think make this Frequency Shifter unique:

- We really put a lot of work into making this the best sounding Frequency Shifter to our ears.
- We spent a lot of work on the modulation system and overall framework.
- Link mode with variable offset of the two Shifters.
- BPM Sync possibilities of the Shifters, variable stabilize of the feedback path.
- The whole modulation system
- Resizable UI
- Being able to add or multiply modulation assignments and reorder per modulation source (I don't know any plugin where this is possible)

Cheers!
Tilman

Yes, there is no doubt FRQ is awesome both in terms of sound and features. But, its $90 (intro price) for a frequency shifter. For myself, I have to look at cost vs how much I'd use it and how much of an impact it would have to my work. Also taken into comparison with other similar effects. It's still too much $ for me, at least. Money isn't growing on trees here. I just bought an entire DAW for $60 (Reaper). :party:

@tonstrum: do you normally offer at some point during the year sales & deals?

Return to “Effects”