What piece of gear helped you speed up or improve your workflow the most?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Revisiting this thread to see if some new ideas have popped up. :)

I think this was mainly a hardware thread, but still: in terms of bang for the buck, I would say MuLab and XPand!2. MuLab has
a very fast workflow, and XPand!2 has an insane amount of power (especially when you start to layer voices) for very little money.

"Condemnation" BTW: Are you releasing a DM cover?
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Yes, we're releasing a cover of Depeche Mode's song "Condemnation". Actually we're releasign two versions of that song...and a bonus track :-)

As for Mulab. As always - it's a matter of taste and preferences. I tested that one a couple years ago. I missed some features in that version. But compared to my Fostex x15 4 track porta back in the 80's it's probably great. :-)
On the other hand - a 4 track porta can force you to be extremely creative...
Not that *I'd recommend that. But some boundaries help..sometimes :-)

sfd wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:35 am Yes, we're releasing a cover of Depeche Mode's song "Condemnation". Actually we're releasign two versions of that song...and a bonus track :-)
Cool!
sfd wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:35 am compared to my Fostex x15 4 track porta back in the 80's it's probably great. :-)
On the other hand - a 4 track porta can force you to be extremely creative...
Hmmm... bought (and sold) one of those, used, in the 80s in Sweden. Maybe we've shared machines!

I agree, the LACK OF technology forces creativity. I used to sample a lot back then, and tried crazy things such as singing through my headphones and listening through my dynamic mic. :wink:
Go MuLab!

BertKoor wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:39 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am A MIDI keyboard.
... with drum pads, knobs & faders :hyper:
This.

@SparkySpark

lol...I singing in your headphone :-) I've to admit..I never tried that one :-)

But, to many options can easily become a problem. One then tend to look for what those options can give you. Instead of focus on what it is what actually want to achieve.

I saw there's a free Bitwig version . The main limitation is that it only allows 8 tracks.

8 tracks?

Eurythmics's "Sweet Dreams, "Touch " and "Baby Be Your Self Tonight" albums where all recorded on 8 tracks.

DAve Stweart was a lot into bouncing tracks those days.

Karl Bartos (former Kraftwerk) wrote in hsi autobiography that Kraftwerks main strenght was their live jam / composing sessions in the studio. Not the machines.
According to him their music decreased when they (especially Ralf and Florian) became obsessed with gear.

The following story is a good example on how technology can help and overturn:

After the release of Electric Café / Technopop tKraftwerk was encouraged to make a collection album.

Ralf Hutter was very much into the idea that better gear would lead to better music. And so in 1987 he bought a Synclavier II and they begun the work on collection album that would be The Mix.

Technically and sonically The Mix is a great album.

But it's build on music that already existed.

It took the band 22 years to come up with a new album. I'm not counting form the 1986 relase of Electric CAfé / Techno pop. Because those songs where mainly composed in their composing / jam sessions between 1978 and 1981.

Their biggest loss was Karl Bartos.

Because....

The main musicians in the band was Ralf and Karl. Sure Florian had some musical input. But the main composer was Ralf and then Karl.

After Karl left the band. Or actually after the 1978 - 1981 jam / composing sessiosn they never had more such sessions. Obviously that had a notable impact on their releases. They had, and sitll have, all the gear. And al they do is fine tuning existing music.

Now that might be an extreme example. But IMO there was generally more creativity in the past when we didn't have today's technology.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with today's tech. But I do think a palette of a nearly infinite palette of colors doesn't necessarily means a better painting.

pheeewww..that was a lot of letters :-)

Color coded tape and reusable zip ties.
Recently, non-skid friction tape has helped quite a bit too.

sfd wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:58 pm @SparkySpark

lol...I singing in your headphone :-) I've to admit..I never tried that one :-)

But, to many options can easily become a problem. One then tend to look for what those options can give you. Instead of focus on what it is what actually want to achieve.

I saw there's a free Bitwig version . The main limitation is that it only allows 8 tracks.

8 tracks?

Eurythmics's "Sweet Dreams, "Touch " and "Baby Be Your Self Tonight" albums where all recorded on 8 tracks.

DAve Stweart was a lot into bouncing tracks those days.

Karl Bartos (former Kraftwerk) wrote in hsi autobiography that Kraftwerks main strenght was their live jam / composing sessions in the studio. Not the machines.
According to him their music decreased when they (especially Ralf and Florian) became obsessed with gear.

The following story is a good example on how technology can help and overturn:

After the release of Electric Café / Technopop tKraftwerk was encouraged to make a collection album.

Ralf Hutter was very much into the idea that better gear would lead to better music. And so in 1987 he bought a Synclavier II and they begun the work on collection album that would be The Mix.

Technically and sonically The Mix is a great album.

But it's build on music that already existed.

It took the band 22 years to come up with a new album. I'm not counting form the 1986 relase of Electric CAfé / Techno pop. Because those songs where mainly composed in their composing / jam sessions between 1978 and 1981.

Their biggest loss was Karl Bartos.

Because....

The main musicians in the band was Ralf and Karl. Sure Florian had some musical input. But the main composer was Ralf and then Karl.

After Karl left the band. Or actually after the 1978 - 1981 jam / composing sessiosn they never had more such sessions. Obviously that had a notable impact on their releases. They had, and sitll have, all the gear. And al they do is fine tuning existing music.

Now that might be an extreme example. But IMO there was generally more creativity in the past when we didn't have today's technology.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with today's tech. But I do think a palette of a nearly infinite palette of colors doesn't necessarily means a better painting.

pheeewww..that was a lot of letters :-)
It sounds more like what happens to any band when the main creative forces leave or die. In Kraftwerk's case the tech seems to be what has kept them alive as a band despite just coasting on refining old jams.
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Well, IMO there's not much alive with Kraftwerk these days.
To me they're just a toruing museum.

The Atari STe and every computer I've owned since ... amazing what can be done with just a laptop now. :ud:

Computer. iPad.

Not sure if it counts as "gear", but definitely Bitwig Studio.
Replaced all other DAWs for me.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:35 pm amazing what can be done with just a laptop now. :ud:
Or with a phone and caustic.

sfd wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:19 pm Well, IMO there's not much alive with Kraftwerk these days.
To me they're just a toruing museum.
True. I saw them in 1992, and they were running behind by then already. :neutral: The nice thing about that concert was that I somehow managed to sneak up on stage after the gig, and walked around the set, surrounded by their synthesizers. :D
Go MuLab!

@SparkySpark

Cool ! :tu:
Then you eventually spotted something we'v ementioned before in this thread.

A 4 track casette porta :-)

They ran some backing tapes synced to teh Synanorma sequncer and the "TriggerSum" drucm sequencer (managed by Wolfgang). The tape recorder was managed by Florian.
Read Karl Bartos autobiography..it's great :-)

sfd wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:43 pm @SparkySpark

Cool ! :tu:
Then you eventually spotted something we'v ementioned before in this thread.

A 4 track casette porta :-)

They ran some backing tapes synced to teh Synanorma sequncer and the "TriggerSum" drucm sequencer (managed by Wolfgang). The tape recorder was managed by Florian.
Read Karl Bartos autobiography..it's great :-)
Thanks for the book suggestion! :tu:

Well, I didn't have time to look for the 4-track... I was a bit freaked out by the fact that I had a number of bouncers/body guards standing in a circle guarding the stage and gear... They were facing away from me (towards the rest of the audience), probably thinking that I was part of the crew. I have no recollection of how I got up on stage (adrenalin perhaps :hihi:). I guess the fact that I was wearing my trademark grey trenchcoat :D made me look older than eighteen or so... :wink:
Go MuLab!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”