Swarm - New GUI for Hive2 [OUT NOW]

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

the thing is that swapping them around means splitting these in half, which imo makes much less sense than having fixed mod sources in one place and dynamic mod sources in one place.

Also i'm not too keen on moving the sources down into function panes because i'm a sucker for symmetry :ud:

Voice and function are the same height tho yes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tasmaniandevil wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:38 am
glokraw wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:40 am Is this possible in U-he products? Could, for example a bunch of Hives be installed, renamed, and the variants each have distinct Data folders?
The pic is the vsti and vst3 with separate folders, and they seem to work fine together.
Don't do it that way.
Also please don't mix VST2 and VST3 instances in a project.

Each loaded instance of Hive will remember which GUI size and which skin is chosen.
Those settings are saved with the project file.
Just don't select the size and skin through the preferences section, as those settings are the default settings applied to newly loaded instances of the plugin.
Instead, right-click in an empty area of the plugin, and choose size and skin from the menu for each loaded instance.
Thanks for the gui guidance/reminders, synapses being re-arranged accordingly :hyper:

As a fortunate linux and reaper user, I've always used a mix of favorite 32 and 64 bit vst2, VST3, and lv2 plugins willy-nilly*, so I checked the interwebs for signs of trouble, and could only find a few warnings to not use a blend of vst2/3 Waves brand plugins, which I already observe by happenstance. Looking forward to gui innovations made possible by
:clap: CLAP :clap:

* I promise not to call U-he support if my experiments need a fire extinguisher :hyper:

Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:57 pm the thing is that swapping them around means splitting these in half, which imo makes much less sense than having fixed mod sources in one place and dynamic mod sources in one place.

Also i'm not too keen on moving the sources down into function panes because i'm a sucker for symmetry :ud:

No need to split anything. You could just swap the two sections:

Ploki Skin 5.png

If you're talking about the three top labels they aren't part of their respective sections anyway and look like they belong in the function section instead.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's just to me the workflow makes more sense with the configuration above but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

What is the spread for in the Filter section? Doesn't seem to have any parameter attached to either dot.

Ploki Skin 6.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:22 pm
Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:57 pm the thing is that swapping them around means splitting these in half, which imo makes much less sense than having fixed mod sources in one place and dynamic mod sources in one place.

No need to split anything. You could just swap the two sections:

Ploki Skin 5.png

If you're talking about the three top labels they aren't part of their respective sections anyway and look like they belong in the function section instead.

Anyway, not a big deal. It's just to me the workflow makes more sense with the configuration above but that's just my opinion. :shrug:

What is the spread for in the Filter section? Doesn't seem to have any parameter attached to either dot.

Ploki Skin 6.png
Well vibrato and LFO D&Ds generally belong with LFOs and Vibrato.
I'm not sure if I prefer that arrangement, but it might be fairly simple to implement an "alternative" layout either either an alternative script file or even built into the script into the color section (if i feel like flexing my skills). :ud:
iirc i have most swappable backgrounds and knobs as additional panes without any children, so adding a second layer to the mid section could work as a simple add-on, but i need to look into it.

The "Spread" like most of the cogs is just a destination for D&D modulation.
I thought about making separate cogs for faux "knobs" such as detune and width (and reverb decay/damp) and only destinations, but I figured it could make things confusing, so generally small "cogs" should be considered as D&D destinations.

Spread and most FX cogs are hidden parameters, i put them up there to be available as drag&drop mods so you don't need to load them in the matrix if you wish to modulate them.
Aside Compressor Mix, i think none of the hidden destinations are saved with the preset. Mix is saved with the preset, but since Swarm is the only skin with mix exposed i decided not to make it a knob - it would be too easy to make a preset with compressor mix something other than 100, save the preset and the be in the dark with any other skin than Swarm.

edit:
also have you tried copying the custom fonts (Fredoka and Barlow) into hive's main theme folder? On Mac custom fonts need to be on both folders or else they simple won't work.

Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:17 pm Well vibrato and LFO D&Ds generally belong with LFOs and Vibrato.
They are visually disconnected however. Instead of being in the Vibrato LFO 1 and 2 sections they're visually more attached to the Function section. Not really a problem just a little visually disjointed. :

Ploki Skin 7.png

Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:17 pmbut it might be fairly simple to implement an "alternative" layout either either an alternative script file or even built into the script into the color section (if i feel like flexing my skills). :ud:
No don't bother it's really not a big deal. No one else seems to be bothered by it so just let it go. :tu:
Ploki wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:17 pmedit:
also have you tried copying the custom fonts (Fredoka and Barlow) into hive's main theme folder? On Mac custom fonts need to be on both folders or else they simple won't work.
I just did and that fixed the issue with Center and Depth being cut off in the Phaser section. :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

glokraw wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:44 pm so I checked the interwebs for signs of trouble, and could only find a few warnings to not use a blend of vst2/3 Waves brand plugins, which I already observe by happenstance.
Oh, sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Of course you can use different plugin formats in a project for different plugins.
What I wanted to say is don't use different plugin formats when loading multiple instances of the same plugin in a project. E.g. if you have three instances of Hive loaded, they should all be either VST2, VST3, AU (or even better, CLAP). :)
Our preset browser uses an sqlite database, and tries to update all instances when you make changes in one instance. This can sometimes be difficult when using different plugin formats at the same time.
That QA guy from planet u-he.

That makes perfect sense. It's easy to forget you've provided a V12 under the plugin hood,
when I'm mostly just thinking on four cylinders, in need of a tuneup :scared:
Cheers

Teksonik wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:04 am They are visually disconnected however. Instead of being in the Vibrato LFO 1 and 2 sections they're visually more attached to the Function section. Not really a problem just a little visually disjointed.
No don't bother it's really not a big deal. No one else seems to be bothered by it so just let it go. :tu:

I just did and that fixed the issue with Center and Depth being cut off in the Phaser section. :)
I could make little ticks and maybe even LFO leds to make them more connected like function gens.
edit: nah, there's no way to make wiggly LEDs for LFO. :(

if you end up using it and it and this layout keeps bothering you, drop me a line.

Dang these custom fonts are a mystery to me. I did open a ticket with u-he support when i was doing Presswerk, but apparently it never got resolved

Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 am I could make little ticks and maybe even LFO leds to make them more connected like function gens. edit: nah, there's no way to make wiggly LEDs for LFO. :(
Couldn't you just move the section border down to include the buttons? This is a crude mock up but it does seem to be more visually coherent. The buttons are now in their respective sections and not visually connected to Env, Rise,Still etc:

Ploki Skin 8.png
Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 amif you end up using it and it and this layout keeps bothering you, drop me a line.
I doesn't really bother me but I wonder how someone who just purchased Hive and switched to this skin will view the overall theme? That's how I approach things when I test skins, will they be good for people to learn on.

To be honest I'm not sure if my old eyes are up to the task of using this skin on a consistent basis. It's a great looking skin with many options to customize so I'll keep working with it for awhile but it's a bit hard for me to see some things. I've tried both the Izmo and Gizmo skins and keep going back to the original. Nothing wrong with any of the alternative skins I just keep going back as it seems to fit my eyes and workflow preferences better. :shrug:

I don't have Hive 2 (yet) but just wanted to say that this skin looks extremely good. Maybe one of the best third party skins I have ever seen. Better than most of the default skins in modern vst's.

Lazarus451 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:45 pm I don't have Hive 2 (yet) but just wanted to say that this skin looks extremely good. Maybe one of the best third party skins I have ever seen. Better than most of the default skins in modern vst's.
:love: thank you very much!
Teksonik wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:08 pm
Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 am I could make little ticks and maybe even LFO leds to make them more connected like function gens. edit: nah, there's no way to make wiggly LEDs for LFO. :(
Couldn't you just move the section border down to include the buttons? This is a crude mock up but it does seem to be more visually coherent. The buttons are now in their respective sections and not visually connected to Env, Rise,Still etc:

Ploki Skin 8.png

Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:03 amif you end up using it and it and this layout keeps bothering you, drop me a line.
I doesn't really bother me but I wonder how someone who just purchased Hive and switched to this skin will view the overall theme? That's how I approach things when I test skins, will they be good for people to learn on.

To be honest I'm not sure if my old eyes are up to the task of using this skin on a consistent basis. It's a great looking skin with many options to customize so I'll keep working with it for awhile but it's a bit hard for me to see some things. I've tried both the Izmo and Gizmo skins and keep going back to the original. Nothing wrong with any of the alternative skins I just keep going back as it seems to fit my eyes and workflow preferences better. :shrug:
that's a neat idea, i'll do something like that!

I think the original is exceptionally well done and it was really challenging to do something that i felt can offer an alternative Hive experience while still being as user friendly, and not repeat either original or Izmo layouts/approaches.

I like plugmons skins and use AIKO,Neumann and monolith all the time, but i never clicked with Izmo, nor with Eclipse - it simply didn't work for me mentally.

Don't get me wrong I'm not insulting your theme at all, just giving my opinion in an attempt to contribute something back.... :)

didn't take it as such, no worries :)

did anyone work with UHM alot?
this is as far as i got lol :D

Code: Select all

Info "SAW random phase"

NumFrames = 256

Wave start=0 end=255 "-phase" 
Phase Start=0 End=255 "randf" Target=main

Spectrum lowest=0 highest=0 "0"
Normalize start=0 end=256
it makes for a very lively supersaw tho. :)

I’m trying to get a bit of “Bazille” into Hive, since it doesn’t do audio rate FM and PD i tried with Uhm and exported a few sounds i made in bazille as wavs - but would rather do it via script

Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:40 pm did anyone work with UHM
No. UHM is the realm of wizards and sorcerers.

I use DUNE 3 and Vital to make Wavetables for Hive because I don't have an advanced degree in quantum physics. :lol:

Return to “u-he”