Electronic Music That Inspired You

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We shall see orchestral machines with a thousand new sounds, with thousands of new euphonies, as opposed to the present day's simple sounds of strings, brass, and woodwinds. -- George Antheil, circa 1925 ---

I shouldn't leave out Cerrone. gnu above post jarred that memory. And Bobby O (Orlando) Plus the many faceless, nameless Italian Producers. (Fun Fun, The Passengers, Tantra, Kano(huge in the US), Gino Soccio)

Stratosfear by TD
Red Mecca by Cabaret Voltaire
Locate and Cement by The Loved One
the track U-Mu-U by Bruce Gilbert
Shake those Chains, Rattle those Cages by Nocturnal Emissions
Big Science by Laurie Anderson
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

first bands with synths were a couple of local nobodies, one sounded like suicide and the other similar to coils scatology era stuff.
talking to members of those bands introduced me to suicide, coil, tg and psychick tv.

The White Noise - An Electric Storm
Aphrodite's Child - 666
New Order - Movement
The Human League - Travelogue
Underworld - Dubnobasswithmyheadman
Pole - Pole 1-3
Kid606 - Unamerican Activity
Burial - Burial
Rhythm & Sound - w/Tikkiman

The first round was synth pop - Depeche Mode... Gary Numan..then backwards to Peter Gabriel..

But when I heard Underworld Rez, no going back.

Tangerine Dream - Phaedra and Exit. Still listen to them.

Steve Roach, countless albums.

Klaus Schulz, of course.

Not electronic music, but Trent Reznor. He's solely responsible for the dark turn my electronic music took, as I got into industrial and Spahn Ranch, Electric Hellfire Club, Cubanate, Noise Box, and the like.

I'm a mess. :cry: :cry: :help:
Bandcamp: https://suitcaseoflizards.bandcamp.com/
DJ Hissy http:/www.relay-radio.com
Waveform 13 Pro, DAWesome synths n effects, NI has my other money

Wow a lot of mentions of Tangerine Dream and JMJ. Have to say, never really got into TD. If there's anyone here who's a fan that listened to most of their stuff, what would you recommend as THE album/piece to listen to?

For me, it's artists who either managed to create their own distinct soundworld, or blurred the boundaries between traditional roles of elements like drums/percussion and melodic or harmonic lines, so Massive Attack, Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Radiohead, Autechre (Oversteps, Quaristice, Exai), Amon Tobin, Daft Punk, Burial, Four Tet, Arca, Nicolas Jaar, Tim Hecker, Oneohtrix Point Never, James Blake, Andy Stott, etc.

For me by far the most inspiring electronic music album ever was BT's This Binary Universe. I don't like much of his other music (some of it I can't stand), but that album blows my mind and I hear new things every time I listen to it.

Chemical Brothers Exit Planet Dust was probably the album that first got me heavily into electronic music.

Underworld's Dubnobasswithmyheadman not long after became a classic for me and inspired a lot of my later DJ and production.

And burial is probably the last major sound that really inspired new ways of thinking about electronic music.

Opaque wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:52 am Wow a lot of mentions of Tangerine Dream and JMJ. Have to say, never really got into TD. If there's anyone here who's a fan that listened to most of their stuff, what would you recommend as THE album/piece to listen to?
Stratosfear, and Phaedra.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Opaque wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:52 am Wow a lot of mentions of Tangerine Dream and JMJ. Have to say, never really got into TD. If there's anyone here who's a fan that listened to most of their stuff, what would you recommend as THE album/piece to listen to?
I wouldn't say I've listened to most of their stuff (there is a TON of it) but I've at least had a brief listen to several albums. I am not honestly not into most of it.

I like Phaedra and Rubycon quite a lot (they're what has the most influence on me). Exit is quite different but I also am into it. I picked up Botanique Orangerie Session 2022 recently and like it pretty well.

Optical Race is early MIDI days cheese but I have a soft spot for it... if I hadn't owned the cassette when it was new and heard it for the first time today I would probably hate it :)

As for JMJ: Equinoxe and Oxygene (the original one).

Zoolook is completely different: it's kind of a novelty thing, based on samples of human voices saying nonsense syllables. But the sound design and composition are surprisingly good anyway, and it has Marcus Miller on bass, and Laurie Anderson doing nonsense vocals on one track.

So many. Sparks when they collabed with Moroder I thought my head would explode, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, Patrick Cowley(RIP), Azul Y Negro, Kraftwerk.

foosnark wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:00 pm
I wouldn't say I've listened to most of their stuff (there is a TON of it) but I've at least had a brief listen to several albums. I am not honestly not into most of it.

I like Phaedra and Rubycon quite a lot (they're what has the most influence on me). Exit is quite different but I also am into it. I picked up Botanique Orangerie Session 2022 recently and like it pretty well.

Optical Race is early MIDI days cheese but I have a soft spot for it... if I hadn't owned the cassette when it was new and heard it for the first time today I would probably hate it :)
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:08 pm
Thanks, will take a listen to Phaedra.

foosnark wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:00 pm As for JMJ: Equinoxe and Oxygene (the original one).

Zoolook is completely different: it's kind of a novelty thing, based on samples of human voices saying nonsense syllables. But the sound design and composition are surprisingly good anyway, and it has Marcus Miller on bass, and Laurie Anderson doing nonsense vocals on one track.
I'm familiar with Oxygen, which is rightfully a classic, and some of his other stuff. I've recently stumbled upon Ethnicolor, from Zoolook, and have to say it pleasantly surprised me, maybe the most interesting thing of his to me now - like a big brother to OPN's R Plus Seven.

Opaque wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:04 pm
foosnark wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:00 pm

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:08 pm
Thanks, will take a listen to Phaedra.
... and don't forget Zeit. I first heard it in the mid-'70s, but it's grown on me over the last 20 years or so. It's quite bleak, and could possibly make a strong claim to being the first dark ambient album.

re td, at the same time, there was a hell of a lot of good stuff coming from germany, obviously kraftwerk, but can, faust, neu, cosmic jokers, cluster, harmonia and many more, all making really interesting and very different stuff.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”