TONEX 1.5 has been released

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:25 am I just did this exact my test on Reaper comparing TONEX VST3 1.2.6 and TONEX VST3 1.5.1 and guess what? Both versions nulled perfectly!

Here's my exact test:
Are you on Windows or MacOS?
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

So I tried Funkybot's test in Cubendo on mac.
They nulled until what I did was disable the second tonex, bounced and put the second tonex (cab) on the bounced track and on the original track.. these didn't quite null.
And what definitely did not null was taking this to the pc, and duplicating the original first track but this time using vst2 versions of the two tonex.
So I my test can't tell if there was a difference between 1.2 and 1.5 since I didn't test 1.2, but there sure seems to be a difference between vst2 and vst3, which they shouldn't be.
rsp
sound sculptist

:borg:
Last edited by jamcat on Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

:borg: :borg:
Last edited by jamcat on Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

UPDATE: I just found what the problem is:

When you disable the AMP or CAB (or both) in the VST3 version of TONEX v1.5.x and then save your song and close it, both the AMP and CAB will actually be active when you reopen the song, but the UI will reflect the state you saved it in, with whatever you had turned off appearing to still be off, while really being on.

In short, the saved state of the AMP/CAB is not being correctly recalled when reloaded.

Enabling then disabling the AMP or CAB again will cause it to actually turn off, and it will function normally for the rest of the session. Again, this only happens with the VST3 version, and it doesn't appear to happen until after reopening a saved song. It will continue to happen no matter how many times you "fix it" and resave.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:25 am I just did this exact my test on Reaper
Funkybot, could you do a quick test?
Real simple, just create a single TONEX 1.5.1 VST3 instance, you can leave it at default. Disable the AMP and CAB, then SAVE and CLOSE the song. Then reopen the song and see (or rather hear) what happens.

It may very well be a DAW-dependent bug, depending on how saved states are initialized by the host on load. So it might not happen in Reaper.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:34 pm It was actually reported to the Testing Manager but I can assure you next time it will not.
Well Peter, I've already put a few hours of my time testing and isolating this bug. I've now identified exactly what the problem is, and how to consistently reproduce it. It's VST3 specific, occurs on both Mac and Windows in TONEX 1.5.0 and up, and it happens in Studio One and Cubase/Nuendo, at the very least.

(I did not test AU or AAX.)

So you can just point the Testing Manager to this post. All the necessary information is here. I trust you're not really going to leave bugs in your company's software just out of spite for a customer. That would be a bad look. :wink:

doctormix wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:42 am One of the cool unique things of TONEX Tone Models is that even if the capture of the amp are made with the cabinet, the AI Machine Modeling is able to isolate it and treat it separately so you can switch it off and have just the sound of the amp
^That's the part that's broken in VST3 right now. It doesn't stay switched off. I don't think that splitting the amp and cab are all that unusual. Other people seem to use it too.

I couldn't reproduce this in Reaper+Mac, it is recalling the state correctly (both sound and visually), but I'm glad you figured it out. You could always download Reaper and check there for yourself. But yeah, send a ticket to IK Support with the details and maybe even a dropbox link to a simple Studio One project to reproduce it.

Jamcat, Peter is not their support person and may not be experiencing the bug so it's incumbent on you to report it and work with IK support. Trust me, I've sent quite a few issues to IK Support and I feel like I should have sent Jason, their support guy, a Christmas card last year I talked to him so much!

Yeah I don't think the recalling state happens in Cubendo either... It think the vst2 behaves differently than the vst3 when using two (one amp one cab).
I have no idea if that happened before 1.5 because I don't use vst2s or separate the instances into amp and cab.

But yeah I think you need to contact ik support (again?)
rsp
sound sculptist

And jamcat/zvenx, to clarify, I was strictly comparing VST3 (1.2.6) to VST3 (1.5.1) in my tests. Not comparing to VST2. But from how I read jamcat's findings, I took it as a VST3 issue so that should've been ok. I'm just mentioning that so jamcat is clear if he wants to try to reproduce in Reaper or anything.

And jamcat, I'd definitely report it because it appears the bug is 1) workflow specific (saving TONEX with amp or cab disabled), 2) plugin format specific (VST3), and 3) DAW specific (Studio One/Cubendo - both of which handle mono channels differently than stereo channels*). The number of conditions involved is why no one else has run into this. And I wouldn't blame the IK testers for that either. Not every bug - especially odd ones like this - is going to be caught in testing. But now that you've identified this - they can start on fixing it once you report it.

*I'm not saying that's related or a factor, but it could be - just an example of where they do things differently compared to say Reaper where it looks to work.

I love the adding folder to setup amp choices especially the ODS amps

Wondering if there’s any progress on the TONEX 1.5.x VST3 Amp/Cab disable bug in Studio One.

Peter, was testing able to reproduce this with the additional information I provided?

jamcat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 pm Wondering if there’s any progress on the TONEX 1.5.x VST3 Amp/Cab disable bug in Studio One.

Peter, was testing able to reproduce this with the additional information I provided?
What was your ticket number? You can either provide that to me and I'll relay it or you can always reply to it for a status update.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:26 pm
jamcat wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:26 pm Wondering if there’s any progress on the TONEX 1.5.x VST3 Amp/Cab disable bug in Studio One.

What was your ticket number? You can either provide that to me and I'll relay it or you can always reply to it for a status update.
I relayed the issue to an IK representative on a public forum, so I am certain that someone at IK has the necessary information for it to be addressed.

Are you saying you haven’t relayed the information I provided here to the appropriate team?

Jamcat, Peter isn't IK support or a developer, as I'm sure you know, and KVR isn't the IK support forum. IK isn't a small one-person shop where the developer can pop in, see a bug, diagnose it, then push out a fix. Even when that does happen on KVR, devs frequently ask to report bugs via official channels so they can get more details and open a dialog.

And I've relayed TONEX bugs in public forums too. But then I contact support to actually get them fixed. Which I suggested you do on January 19th. I think you've indeed found a bug, but you've gotta report it. Otherwise, it may never get fixed. The issue you found won't impact many people. It would take all of five minutes or less to report the issue to IK, get a ticket created, then if it doesn't get resolved, you've got a ticket number to point to when you post in public if you still feel IK are ignoring the issue.

Just as an example, I've listed a few bugs here, but sent them all to IK:
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... t-38409478

And I deal with this kind of thing at work all the time. People won't report issues "because IT already knows about them", meanwhile the developers will be completely in the dark on issues. Why? Because there is a right way to get issues in front of the developers, and the first step involves the issue being reported the right way. When that doesn't happen, the developers will be completely unaware.

The thing is I don’t get paid by IK, Peter does. I pay IK for working software. I shouldn’t have to do the job an IK employee is literally refusing to do. If I have to email IK about this publicly documented bug that Peter has been aware of for weeks, it’s not going to be to the tech support.
Last edited by jamcat on Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamcat wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:58 pm The thing is I don’t get paid by IK, Peter does. I pay IK for working software. I shouldn’t have to do the job an IK employee is literally refusing to do. If I have to email IK about this now documented bug that Peter was made aware of weeks ago, it’s not going to be to the tech support.
So you are asking Peter to be IK support? Do you understand how businesses operate? There are different departments that handle different activities, division of work. You can't expect one person to be all roles for you. Most other developers have a ticketing process to report issues, why should IK be an exception just because you want it that way.

Return to “Guitars”