Reason 13 Announced- Sequencer updated!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for posting this. I had totally forgot about this automation tip. Reason 13 has piqued my interest and I'm trying to get back to using Reason again after ignoring it for some years. I'm really looking forward to using the new split sequencer. Testing the beta release now. So far so good although I have mixed feelings about the new browser. Time will tell if Reason 13 is a bust or a winner in my opinion.
xbitz wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:10 pm Jeez, it took me forever to find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y0Ro2M1Sh4

let's backup to here
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:59 pm Think I found a bug in Grain
Initilase it and load a sample
Set it to tape mode , and freeze
Now assign Env 1 to postition ( 100%) with a linear ramp wave , it should now scan through the whole sample but it always stops halway .
Duplicating the mod assignment doesn't work either
Weird
Not quite a bug but perhaps not intuitive! Unipolar waveforms are 0 to 1 while bipolar waveforms are -1 to 1. Max modulation amount would sweep the whole range if the source is -1 to 1. You've got envelope set to unipolar so it's half that.

This is compensated for if you would use the "Envelope 1" playback mode rather than Freeze, so that's the easiest way to do what you want :)

Anosou wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:23 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:59 pm Think I found a bug in Grain
Initilase it and load a sample
Set it to tape mode , and freeze
Now assign Env 1 to postition ( 100%) with a linear ramp wave , it should now scan through the whole sample but it always stops halway .
Duplicating the mod assignment doesn't work either
Weird
Not quite a bug but perhaps not intuitive! Unipolar waveforms are 0 to 1 while bipolar waveforms are -1 to 1. Max modulation amount would sweep the whole range if the source is -1 to 1. You've got envelope set to unipolar so it's half that.

This is compensated for if you would use the "Envelope 1" playback mode rather than Freeze, so that's the easiest way to do what you want :)
It’s not confusing , it’s just wrong .
In every piece of software, be it reaktor , pure data , a sampler or your audio editor. , a sample is stored in a table .
The length of this table is in samples ,it’s the length of your audio file .
This table is then read out by a ramp wave or even an envelope with range 0-1 , it’s then multiplied by the length of your table .
So if your sample is 1 second long (@44kbz) , the envelope or ramp is multiplied by 44100 so it reads each sample stored in the 44100 index points.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I don't think Anosou needs anybody explaining to him how software synths work... smh

Well , just saying that bipolar values do NOT work when assigning an envelope to position , then it just starts reading the sample when the envelope is halfway ( value 0 ) untill the end ( value 1 ) , sill reading half of the sample
Eyeball exchanging

spacepluk wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:46 am I don't think Anosou needs anybody explaining to him how software synths work... smh
Oh well , then he should know that negative values in a bipolar signal are useless when reading a sample ,because there is no such thing as negative index points ( table index )
Eyeball exchanging

---

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:07 am
spacepluk wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:46 am I don't think Anosou needs anybody explaining to him how software synths work... smh
Oh well , then he should know that negative values in a bipolar signal are useless when reading a sample ,because there is no such thing as negative index points ( table index )
Well, I don't think they are useless. They make back and forth modulation of the position easier which comes very handy in a granular synth, but that's just my opinion.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:59 am Well , just saying that bipolar values do NOT work when assigning an envelope to position , then it just starts reading the sample when the envelope is halfway ( value 0 ) untill the end ( value 1 ) , sill reading half of the sample
That's not correct. It depends on where you put your Position playhead, the Position is the "0" in grain when you use Freeze mode. If the Position playhead is put in the middle of the waveform (for example), a bipolar modulation signal is very useful for interesting motion—especially at lower modulation amounts.

Since there's a dedicated mode for using Envelope 1 to track the entire waveform display (which I suggest you use here since it seems to do exactly what you'd want it to do), the mod matrix is adapted to bipolar modulation sources like LFOs or the other envelopes in Bipolar mode.

Anosou wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 8:52 am That's not correct. It depends on where you put your Position playhead, the Position is the "0" in grain when you use Freeze mode. If the Position playhead is put in the middle of the waveform (for example), a bipolar modulation signal is very useful for interesting motion—especially at lower modulation amounts.

Since there's a dedicated mode for using Envelope 1 to track the entire waveform display (which I suggest you use here since it seems to do exactly what you'd want it to do), the mod matrix is adapted to bipolar modulation sources like LFOs or the other envelopes in Bipolar mode.
It doesn't matter if you provided a tip he will still complain because it is not done in the way he assumed it was. Watch it now.

The sad state of internet forums.

spacepluk wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:15 pm The sad state of internet forums.
They basically denied to let him upgrade his reason 10 , that’s not o.k. and they shouldn’t get away with this .
Eyeball exchanging

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”