DUNE 3 is now available!!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DUNE 3

[Sarcasm]
I make my music one sine wave at a time. Additive synthesis is the only way to go. What, you use FM, relying on some signal to transmogrify your sound waves? Just stop. There is nothing more satisfying than going sine wave by sine wave and building up the sound that you imagined. Subtractive synthesis? Lazy as f___. Wave tables? Please. Taking shortcuts like that is so not satisfying. I take weeks, months, years to make one sound, and oh does it hit the spot.
[/Sarcasm]

The above is meant to illustrate that one can take Techsonik's notion and go even more OTT. Liquidsound's comment about assembly code does that more efficiently--rock on, you.

Synthesis means combining. All instruments and voices of your song combine to make a single sound wave. Choosing instrumentation is synthesis. Parameter locking and combining two sounds makes a single soundwave--that's synthesis. It's far more important that someone has a good ear for determining when that final single soundwave is right--than how one arrived at the individual components that were combined (time is also often an issue).

That said, I do enjoy making sounds from scratch and spend a lot of time at it--purely for fun. Tools like Dune 3 are great for this. But Dune 3 is also great for people who don't have time to bake from scratch, as there are a lot of great preset makers out there (if you got the dough (yep)).
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

But did you make the synth itself that you build sine waves at a time? Or how about making the synth parts themselves that make the synth itself. Or what about do you own the mining that smelts all the materials to make the parts that make the synth that allows you to build from sine waves up. You got a long way to go.

I don't want to pile up on Teksonik. If he takes pleasure and satisfaction making everything from scratch, good. Let's each to our own see our own satisfaction in creating music. Each and every component of musical production, sound design, composition, arrangment, mixing, lyrics, etc, each area could be a liftime of learning and crafting. For instance, throw the same midi file to two different people and how big of a difference sound selection makes in the final result. Music production if nothing else is selection, not to simplify things too much, but its a huge difference. How often songs sound similar is a result on not creatively selecting unique sounds. Whether you program them from scratch makes no difference.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Yea, let’s not pile on Tech. He’s pretty neutral and non judgemental about it all.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Reap what you sow I guess, but I forgive him.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

revvy wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 1:59 pm Yea, let’s not pile on Tech. He’s pretty neutral and non judgemental about it all.
But I guess he got convinced along the way :-).

His stance started from
A - "those who used presets are no artists"
to finish like
B - "you should learn to make your own sounds".

This is a vastly different point and a good journey to wisdom. While literally nobody (except Tek) agree with A, I think almost everybody agree with B. I mean, when creating music the more tool you have the better. Synthesis, reuse of presets you tweak for you, sampling, generative sound to create ambiance, controlled randomness that's all good technics... All should be used.

Touch The Universe wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:06 pm Reap what you sow I guess, but I forgive him.
Everybody forgive him :-P, as Vurt said, we are all in this forum when having a shit, in a meeting or commuting so it isn't like we care hehe.

Return to “Instruments”