E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

1212m mic input is working great in DAWS but not in Windows 11 for just talking etc.

When I do the mic test in Windows 11,it does not recognise any signal.

In the Patchmix mixer,the channel getting mic input has sends on the channel going to ASIO IN 1/2 Host and WAVE L/R Host so the input channel WAVE should be getting signal..

EFF this poo.

Spend more time mucking around.

Patchmix Channel 1 (Stereo 1) is WAVE 1/2 ,Patchmix Channel 2 (Stereo 2) is ASIO OUT 31/32 and Patchmix Channel 3 (Stereo 3) is I/O Card In L/R.

Patchmix Channel 3 (Stereo 3) is receiving input from the MIC but Windows 11 can not see it.

ARGH!!!!!

How to get Windows 11 to receive input from the mic?

More mathematics routing BS.

P.S. might have to get a cheap headset for that but I have seen people use Pro mics on you tube,I don't get it.

Windows MIxer only lets you pick the soundcard for input ,not a particular input channel OF that Sound Card,Here we are in 2022 and windows still thinks it's in 1990.

Yes, it also shows up on my E-MU 1616m PCI-E,
Windows 10 "does not see" the microphone input, while the DAW recognizes the microphone well.
This is not a Windows 10 problem, as the author of the comment on KVRAudio writes.
This is a problem with the old E-MU driver, the department that dealt with E-MU sound cards is long gone.
Initially, no one adapted the drivers to the logic of the entire Windows XP - 10 line.
This product was positioned as a Professional DSP. And using the microphone input on Windows is for ordinary users.
I'll even tell you more: the line input has not been defined by Windows since the days of Windows XP.

In addition, from-the-box it is impossible in any way to correctly "visibility" of the Line-In signal in the Windows Sound Manager using only the native PatchMix DSP.

But, if it's really "needed" for Windows to recognize the Mic-In, then this can be solved by purchasing an additional USB Sound Card or USB Mixer (attention! This method also works on 32x CardBus versions cut down on the bus).
So, first you need to make audio-forwarding settings inside PatchMixDSP (I'll tell you about the E-MU 1616M as an example).
For example, let's take the second Line-In Hi-Z input on the Dock:
  • On DOCK IN 2L/2R Strip inside PatchMixDSP add Insert Send (Output to ASIO/WAVE or Physical Out)
    Select Select Send output: DOCK Out 2L/2R
    We connect our cheap (probably bought on Aliexpress) external USB audio interface to the appropriate audio output of the E-MU 1616m dock
    (for example, if the USB audio interface has a line input ala 3.5mm jack, then connect it with a 3.5mm Jack - 3.5mm Jack cable (there is also a duplicating 3.5mm format audio output on the E-MU Dock) with a hole numbered "2".
    At the same time, Windows recognizes the Line-In input from a cheap external USB audio interface, and this can be seen in the device manager. But the sound is bullshit, this is understandable, because the cards with Ali are like that.
That's all for setting the "visibility" of the audio signal from the E-MU microphone input in the windows audio device manager mixer.
The question is - do you need it?

Also, I tried everyone's favorite voicemeeter banana asio input. But I could not set it up so that everything worked correctly.

But it turned out to set the visibility of all ASIO channels in OBS Studio using ODeus ASIO Link Pro for online streams from DAW.

Tell me, is there a full manual for 1212m PCI and 1616m PCI? I can't find it. I found it only for the PCIE version and the old 1212m with Firewire. I would appreciate a link:)

Tell me, please, another question. Can 1010 PCIe be connected to 0202 PCI? and vice versa 1010 PCI 0202 PCIe? I mean the PCI version without Firewire.
I read in the 1616m-1212m PCIe Manual:
Sync Daughter Card
The legacy Sync Daughter Card is NOT compatible with the 1010 PCIe card. The Sync Daughter Card was an option for the original 1010 PCI card and provided Word Clock, SMPTE and MIDI Time Code output.

But I don't understand 1010 PCIe can't be connected to 0202(with Firewire)? Or is it also impossible to connect a newer 0202 PCI(without Firewire) with 1010 PCIe?
In general, I am interested in whether there is complete interchangeability of modules 1010 and 0202 on 1212m PCIe and 1212m PCI audio cards?

I just signed up to say "Thanks!" Works perfectly.

0404 pci and Win10
I wasn't expecting it to 'cos it wasn't making a peep of sound all afternoon. None of the drivers on the creative site worked, and this was the final attempt before removal.

It looked like a bit of a faff to do it, but thanks to the clear instruction, all was well.

Thanks again!

The strangest thing happened yesterday.
The Windows mic input worked,there was signal but today it's back to not working again.

Weird.

yuk wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:42 pm
Psyc0ma wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:03 pm I am experiencing a problem with the volume control of the monitor. Now it has nothing to do with the volume of Windows.

What I just haven't tried - the advice from this topic is to put APP 2_10 then 2_20. I was digging in the registry in search of how PatchMix is related to the volume of the Windows mixer.

Tested on different PCs. All the same

I downloaded SoundVolumeView and saw that Monitor Out (Subunit) the volume value as a percentage changes when I turn the Monitor Volume knob in Patchmix.
Then I don't understand what is the reason? There may be a difference in piaproxy.dll 64 and 32 in Patchmix.

HELP IS VERY NECESSARY. Let's figure it out together.
For help, I promise to make a normal installer for these drivers.
I also wonder if I could figure out the issue. Currently in my setup, the monitor volume of E-MU Patchimix DSP is linked with the speaker volume of the taskbar, but it was not linked until a while ago. I haven't changed anything. Previously, the speaker volume on the taskbar would have controlled the output of the kernel mixer. I installed the following drivers.

EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe
EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe

If this works reliably, I would like to control the monitor volume with a USB volume controller. It will lose less sound quality than analog volume / mixer in the fine-tuning range.
I think this is a problem with Russian Windows. I guess the reason is that in Russian Windows "Speakers - E-MU E-DSP..." are called "Динамики - E-MU E-DSP...". I have a PCI-E card and a 1616m dock. I tested on two PCs and nowhere does the monitor volume sync with the windows volume.
To put App 2.10 then 2.20 is the first thing I tried. Now I have Windows 11 and App 2.10 are not installed on Drv 2.30 with the patch installed.

Psyc0ma wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:44 pm I think this is a problem with Russian Windows. I guess the reason is that in Russian Windows "Speakers - E-MU E-DSP..." are called "Динамики - E-MU E-DSP...". I have a PCI-E card and a 1616m dock. I tested on two PCs and nowhere does the monitor volume sync with the windows volume.
To put App 2.10 then 2.20 is the first thing I tried. Now I have Windows 11 and App 2.10 are not installed on Drv 2.30 with the patch installed.
I'm having the same problem with Windows 7 X86 English and Windows 10 X64 Japanese so I don't think the language is relevant.

This hack is working well in Win 10 21H2. EMU1212M is working better in Win 10 now than it is in Debian 11 BTW. In Debian 11, playback is good for standard apps, but inconsistent for recording and not all sample rates are support. Also, Jack in Debian 11 isn't working so well for my EMU1212M.

Anyway, glad to see my EMU1212M that I got maybe a decade ago off eBay working in Win 10 21H2 again. Even with only two inputs and no breakout box, my EMU1212M smokes my flaky TASCAM US-1200 that I also got off eBay... Funny how the 1212M is rock solid but the USB TASCAM which is probably newer is flaking out. I never though much of USB sound cards anyway. Yes, they do isolate out bus noise, but I think old school PCI cards like the 1212M maybe offer lower latency.

Oh, my bad, I only tested the evaluation version of Reaper and the paid version of Cubase 10.5. I did not test WDM (regular Win 10 recording). I don't give a rip about that... Anytime I want to record audio anymore, I open Cubase to the "good" audio and use a WebCam mic to record bad audio. If I'm doing video, I then sync the WebCam audio up with the Cubase audio via KDENLive or other tool. KDENLive requires manual syncing from my understanding, but KDENLive provides enough detail in the wav graphs that it's usually pretty easy to do the synch up. A nameless competing paid video editing tool is a real pain to use and often gets the sync way wrong...

So system sounds work for EMU1212M with no dock (just two channels) and Reaper Eval and Cubase 10.5 work fine and the routing though Patchmix DSP seems to be good also. I don't know about recording in a Non-ASIO app.

Thanks you to give your step-to-step
It's working perfect on Windows 11 PRO (dev) and E-MU 0404 PCI

but in the file "C:\Temp\EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1" I was replaced "E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM)" with "E-MU E-DSP"
because the audio driver in Windows 11 is called "E-MU E-DSP"

This hack works really well for me in Win 10 21H2 for Cubase 10.5. Unfortunately, when I try to export the audio to Zoom so my professor can hear it, he can't hear anything because the Wave (E-EMU E-DSP) input is completely dead. It doesn't "hear" a thing and I can't figure out if there any way to update patch Mix DSP to open up that "channel"...

You can use a sounddriver that captures asio sends (coming from a cubase master aux for example) and reroutes them to a WDM-like input that zoom (or other non-DAW apps) can see (via directX audio)

Hey guys,
first of all, I'd like to express my gratitude to Sherwoodsound, ClubHouseKey for providing the guide and everyone else who got involved in this thread sharing their knowledge.

My old faithful EMU 1616m is still running without any hiccups in Win 10 20H2 (clean install).

But Cubase 12 needs at least Win 10 21H2 to run properly, so I'm thinking of updating to 21H2 and I'm skeptical whether this update will mess up with EMU.

Has any of you updated to the 21H2? What's your experience? Should I go for it?

Running latest windows 11 all good with cubase 11.5 though

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”