Plogue OPS7 (bit-accurate DX7 emulation!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
chipsynth OPS7

davidv@plogue wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:30 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:31 pm Why note include them all in the vst.dll ?
Because we don't like duplicating the same binary code in 6 synths times 4 plugin APIs (5 on macOs)
The Arp, Chorus, Verb, etc are shared among most chipsynths products. We've developed our own modular framework for plugin development and have been using it for 15 years, and has worked great for us. Allow lots of design flexibility and rapid builds (only rebuilding things that need fixes). Etc.
Its no less CPU efficient compared to "all in the same DLLs".

Cheers
[EDIT] Fermata/Aria internal plugins are _not_ VST, VST3 or anything like that. They are custom.
I understand , I was just wondering how self contained the ops7.vst dll is , it seem it depends on all of the fermata plugins ( throwing fermata .Plogueops7emu.dll in the trashbin and the plugin won't work )
I am just not a fan of plugins that have mutliple dependencies scattered around .
As I only own ops7 , it would be a lot cleaner to have everything embedded in the vst.dll
Hope yo don't mind the criticism
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

But there is just one .dll file in the VSTplugins folder!
If you are talking about the program files folder, the installation folder? I really think the developer is free to write whatever he/she wants there!

EnGee wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 pm But there is just one .dll file in the VSTplugins folder!
If you are talking about the program files folder, the installation folder? I really think the developer is free to write whatever he/she wants there!
Of course the developer is free to write in the program files folder , but mostly this is just gui stuff .
Yes , there is just one vst.dll but it wont' work if the other fermata dll's ( in the program folder ) are deleted , the vst dll needs the fermata dll's which are in another location , they're entangled :lol:
In the end it's not so imporant it's just the first time I see this ( besides gui folders ) .
Eyeball exchanging

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:21 pm
EnGee wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:35 pm But there is just one .dll file in the VSTplugins folder!
Of course the developer is free to write in the program files folder , but mostly this is just gui stuff .
Yes , there is just one vst.dll but it wont' work if the other fermata dll's ( in the program folder ) are deleted , the vst dll needs the fermata dll's which are in another location , they're entangled :lol:
In the end it's not so imporant it's just the first time I see this ( besides gui folders ) .
Say the truth! That you were disappointed that they don't work as plugins! Just kidding 8)

EnGee wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:20 am
davidv@plogue wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:21 pm
EnGee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:54 pm In the File column. If I press the up key, instead of going to 11.E.PIANO 1, the track no. 6 is highlighted, and vice versa, so I think the OPS7 windows needs to have the function of the arrow keys when it is in focused.
Right thats what I was afraid of, Its the only place where keyboard doesn't work. I think its because of the fact that you can highlight multiple entries with the mouse+ctrl/etc. Will check if its possible.
Thank you :)
Seconding this request (using arrows in the File column). It's my only niggle with this otherwise awesome synth.
For what it's worth, the file browser on the left seems to support both multiple selection and the arrows.

Apart from that, I'm really pleased with this synth. I was looking for a VST equivalent to Reason's PX7, and OPS7 exceeds that bar many times over :clap:

Pepin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:05 pm Seconding this request (using arrows in the File column). It's my only niggle with this otherwise awesome synth.
For what it's worth, the file browser on the left seems to support both multiple selection and the arrows.
Multiple selection is to copy/drag more than one file over.
Arrows work in the other SYX banks the v1.003 update build that we will ship tomorrow (Its acts as a demo version as well, just like all our products).
Cheers
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

David I have another feature request, can we get an open user preset folder option in the preset dialog so we can edit, delete or order the user presets directly with out opening finder window to dig in to the folder.

Cheers

foosnark wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:31 pm

I agree -- I used OPS7 for a drone in a recording last night and was disappointed to find that I couldn't modulate the operator levels from the host or a hardware controller because it needed a new Note On to update. The ratio updates live, but the level doesn't... :(

In the interests of perfect emulation I guess this should be an option though.
This took me by surprise as well! It would be awesome if in "extend" mode the levels could be changed during a note on...

EDIT: on a related note, as far as I can tell the only way to emulate mod wheel EG BIAS ON is to use extended mode and "extended" modulations in the matrix. Is this correct or did I miss something?
EDIT 2: Yes I was missing something, it is in the patch mod destination sub menu :)
Last edited by DrEntropy on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

How is the synth in terms of its stability?

My finger is really itching to press that purchase button already. :)

crickey13 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:28 pm How is the synth in terms of its stability?

Wait for the demo. He said it will be released tomorrow ;)

However, for me, I don’t have any problem with the stability in all the DAWs I have :)

davidv@plogue wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:37 pm
Pepin wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:05 pm Seconding this request (using arrows in the File column). It's my only niggle with this otherwise awesome synth.
Multiple selection is to copy/drag more than one file over.
Arrows work in the other SYX banks the v1.003 update build that we will ship tomorrow (Its acts as a demo version as well, just like all our products).
Cheers
Perfect, thanks! :party:

crickey13 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:28 pm How is the synth in terms of its stability?

PLogue is NOT known to release buggy software , iow it's stable as can be :tu:
Eyeball exchanging

I still haven't found a way to layer your own presets ( assumming your original preset has only one layer ) except for copy paste ( grabbing ) or sysex loading into separate layers , that works fine.
Example you create a preset called : 'THIS' ( using one layer )
Another preset called : 'THAT' ( using one layer )
There is no possibility to load preset "THIS "into layer A , and 'THAT' into layer layer B .
Eyeball exchanging

Demo is out! (it updates your existing v1.002 install too).

Hit the try button https://plogue.com/products/chipsynth-ops7.html (or directly head to downloads)
Thank you for all the reports and suggestions.

v1.003 September 29th 2021
Added: Three new UI skins from Mathew Valente (TSSF)
Added: Simulate non-init state option (EG state randomized)
Added: Resampling quality options
Fixed: MTS-ESP setting was not recalled
Fixed: Arrow keys can change selection in FILE/A/B/HW SYX banks
Fixed: Missing notes in Mono under certain circumstances
Fixed: Extended mode operator pan glitch
Fixed: Initial note block render bug in renoise
Fixed: Some modulation sources were not working (eg: Random)
Fixed: Preset menu misbehaving after saving presets
Fixed: Standalone macOs application not remembering MIDI devices
David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc. Montreal.
https://twitter.com/plgDavid
https://plogue.com

Trying the demo....sounds very nice and seems to import my old patches accurately but I'm going on years old memories.

4 minute demo limitation makes it a bit hard to get a good feel. By the time you import a sysex bank and play through a few patches time's up.

Not sure at this point if it will make Dexed redundant but then I'm rather burned out on the DX sounds having first used them in the 80's so that factors into the decision.

Some of the old sounds do take me on a nostalgia trip but again Dexed may provide enough of that for me. Others will no doubt disagree.

I'll keep working with the demo but like I said the time limit is a bit restrictive in allowing one to really explore and that's not even taking creating a patch from scratch into consideration.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”