QWERTY Triggering Feature?

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

well thanks anyway for tracktionskeys! I even have T2 but missed this one earlier (and found it due to jon's post now. )

I used to use Minihost, and in Orion it is great too - F12 switches from normal keyboard-using to qwerty, so I just loaded EXT vst into Orion and noodled. Indeed, changing velocity would be awesome... and building it directly in like in Minihost, Orion and others would be great, so +1.
Latency would not be THAT big thing for me (but for others, sure), because I use this feature for a quick preview most of the time), and for errm, rough ideas.

soma wrote:velocity for qwerty is sometimes done by holding shift to get a second value. (not too human but best solution I could come up with)
actually I think it's human enough, ever played an accordion?, <grin>

moreover with one modif key = two velocity values,
where with two modif keys = 4 velocity values

BTW my Thinkpad keyboard is a wonderfull controller, I wish someone could make a MIDI keyboard with that response!

Could it work to have the mouse control velocity values for qwerty keyboard playing? Like maybe when the option is selected you could push forward for more velocity and pull back for less? Or maybe the scrollwheel? Arrow keys? Just a thought.

the scrollwheel could work somehow, and use the touchpad on laptops,

mouse movements and arrow keys are not good solutions IMHO

Yeah, maybe the mouse wouldn't be that great but I was thinking it would work like this: if no movement the velocity would be at the preset value, mouse velocity would add or subtract MIDI velocity depending on direction, the amount depending on translated mouse velocity (if possible). Pictured it working the same with a touchpad.

the problem is resetting the Velocity values, you need "bounds",
maybe with the mouse inside a box, <grin>,

really I think fixed values are more usable, 2 or 4,

do it like in Live.

there is a single manual on the 'asd' row (with black keys on the 'qwe' row).

octave is controlled with 'z' and 'x', while velocity is controlled (in steps of 10, i think) by 'c' and 'v'.

i find this very useable.

frog_jr wrote:Well I'm sorry about that then. I notice my AVG antivirus has also quarantined it in the past few days. Many apologies, it worked VERY nicely while it was installed, with some very nice features. I also believe it may be a false positive, but sorry.
Hey! No need to be sorry, these things happen! I know you wouldn't have deliberately advised people to use dodgy software. The point of my post was simply to warn people against trying this software, I wasn't trying to blame you in any way. :hug:

liqih wrote:the problem is resetting the Velocity values, you need "bounds",

I've often thought that it would be good if the function keys set the velocities. Then you could have 12 differing velocities and you would simply tap the function key just before the note. Not ideal but it would be quite a nice feature. You could even combine this with the "shift+key" idea, f1-f12 act as preset velocity controls and shift could work as an "accent" type control ie normally the keys will play at the velocity set by the function keys but if you press shift as well it will play louder by a definable amount.

My other idea was to have four velocities using the shift, ctrl and alt keys as the modifiers. You could then have a setup some thing like: alt+key = low velocity, ctrl+key = mid velocity, key = normal velocity, shift+key = high velocity. I suppose you could have even more velocity levels if you used combinations ie shift+alt+key, but I think that would get a bit too complex.

chuck death wrote:
My other idea was to have four velocities using the shift, ctrl and alt keys as the modifiers. You could then have a setup some thing like: alt+key = low velocity, ctrl+key = mid velocity, key = normal velocity, shift+key = high velocity.
now wouldn't that be great, and well, for people who needed more and wouldn't want to use a regular keyboard or drumpad or whatever, there's the velocity-editing in every sequencer. Nice idea I think.

my proposals are for realtime playing,
not step entering notes (just to clarify)

liqih wrote:the problem is resetting the Velocity values, you need "bounds",

Couldn't all bounds or ranges be entered as values to begin with - define the bounds in preferences or options? Also, with my little thought experiment the mouse velocity would be translated into MIDI velocity, not the distance the mouse was moved (when the mouse was still, the velocity would default to a value also defined in preferences)- not that it would necessarily work all that great...just not sure I'm describing what I'm thinking correctly.

liqih wrote:my proposals are for realtime playing,
not step entering notes (just to clarify)
So were mine. ;)

They techniques required would take a little mastering but then so would any of the proposals. I could imagine with my function keys idea it to be quite versatile if you played the notes with your right hand and the velocities with your left hand or vice versa. Unless of course there's some technical reason why you couldn't use the function keys in this way.

+1 for native QWERTY control.

chuck death wrote:Stop playing around with these crummy solutions! Try this:

Tracktionkeys
NOW THATS WHAT THE f**k I'M TALKING ABOUT!!

L

Return to “energyXT”