Recommend a good free Ghost program.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Lunch Money wrote:In the literature they gave you should have been your XP license on some piece of glossy card-stock. Sometimes they'll also stick the license on your tower box somewhere.

If it was a "local shop", they may not have bothered with a legit copy... <darts eyes sideways>. If it's a legit copy, somewhere either on the machine or in the stack of papers they gave you, there should be a license key. If not, by all means go buy yourself a new license.
:lol: Nah, it was a Best Buy. It was legit.
Problem is, I don't recall any paperwork other than my receipt and of course my manuals for the tower, monitor and the printer... Hmm. That's disconcerting.
I'll have a look around.
Regardless, the machine would have a Vista # on it, since that's what it was packaged w/ at the factory.
But that's another problem and again, I don't wish to derail this useful thread. If needs be I'll just order an OEM XP from Tiger Direct or go ahead and upgrad to Vista.

Anyhow.
I would love to use the free software for the Seagate/Maxtor drives, but I can't make use of it, and I can't afford right now to buy a USB drive especially just to make a drive image. (Wow. When I say it out loud it sounds crazy) Guess I'll start saving up for that. I s'pose it's worth it.
Then again, maybe I'm not suited to it. Perhaps I should just go back to bass guitar and an abacus. :roll:

But there's good news!
I dug through some computer mags and found an issue of PC Answers from last month (so, two months ago for you in the UK) #177, that on the insert disc has a free copy of Paragon Drive Backup 8.5, with a little walk-through in the mag! Yay! Hooray for hand-holding!

Now I just hope it works.
Synchronize your watches. I start sweating......now!
"The last man on earth doesn't miss anyone at all." - Haujobb, Faith In Chaos

Just a quick point: if you use DriveImage_XML, you may not have realised it, but it can be run from the Task Scheduler, so you can set it up to do regular snapshots.

Ive also written a trivial front-end for that which does a few useful extra things automatically, ie control the destination folder, control the backup flags, name the image according to the date and a user-definable string (ie cdrive_071217, and only keep the last N images.

Made for my own use so no documentation, but if anyone wants it, I'll stick it on my website somewhere.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Oh well. Nevermind.

The free edition of Paragon Drive Backup had a registration that had to be done before Jan. 1st. Crap.

I've just spent a couple more hours trying to nail down what to do and what to get. I still don't feel any closer.
I do however see that I need a Drive Imaging for Dumbasses book or article.
Why do people explain things in twenty or a hundred words when two will do? Look. Just tell me to "press that" and "click this" and so on, I'll learn the deep stuff and hows and whys later once I see where I am.... *sigh*

No free imaging joy for me.
$40 for Acronis TrueImage it is.... I guess (even though I don't even know if I'll be able to understand it or if it will even work. Yay.). :(

Try savepartition (savepart) - it doesn't cost anything, fits on a floppy disk, and is, well, pretty damn simple.
I've probably mentioned that already, somewhere in this thread - oh well.
Cheers-
M@

metamorphosis wrote:Try savepartition (savepart) - it doesn't cost anything, fits on a floppy disk, and is, well, pretty damn simple.
I've probably mentioned that already, somewhere in this thread - oh well.
Cheers-
M@
It took me a while, but I finally found the website for this.
http://www.partition-saving.com/
Unfortunately (for me, personally anyway) it runs in DOS (people know how to use DOS?), but there is a Windows version. Unfortunately it can't save a full disk or active partition and for that you need the likes of BartPE. This according to the website. And floppys. People have computers that read floppys?
And BartPE is another one of those things that I'd rather eat pig vomit while stabbing myself in the eyes with disease-infested forks than use.
Sorry.

I'm sure it's a fine program. But I'm an idiot. I don't get to use nice software. I need software that operates at a children's book kind of level I guess. :? :help:
Feeling exceptionally stupid really ruins your week.

Errr, you can boot off a win98 dos boot cd, or off a UBCD, or off a floppy, or off of bartpe.
There isn't any software which can backup an active (ie. system or virtual memory) partition inside of windows, so get used to it. It can backup full discs fine.
Download a win98 boot cd .iso (google it) and you'll be sweet. I'm sure you know how to type on a command line. If not, learn. If you can't be bothered, use bartpe (which operates exactly like windows) and quit complaining.
m@

If BartPE could use diskimage (am I remembering the name right?) to restore an image from the same optical drive it loaded from, I'd be golden. ;)

I haven't read this entire thread so pardon if this has already been suggested:

http://www.recordingreview.com/blog/cre ... ard-drive/

I made a Ghost image of my C drive last year but have never used it. However I might have to if I can't get rid of this Vundo virus I seem to have acquired but what do I do. I have saved the Ghost image on another internal harddrive (not C) so if I run the restore wizard would it be able to restore from that position or should the image be on an external drive?

aMUSEd wrote:I made a Ghost image of my C drive last year but have never used it. However I might have to if I can't get rid of this Vundo virus I seem to have acquired but what do I do. I have saved the Ghost image on another internal harddrive (not C) so if I run the restore wizard would it be able to restore from that position or should the image be on an external drive?
As long as Ghost can 'see' the drive when it boots (ie it doesnt need weird RAID/SATA drivers), there's no issue using an internal drive.

Well it's a SATA drive but I don't know about "weird" - how can I find out in advance?

I'd just boot from the Ghost disk and look :)

I don't have a Ghost disk - it just came installed on the computer

(oh f**k - and its on the C drive)

aMUSEd wrote:I don't have a Ghost disk - it just came installed on the computer

(oh f**k - and its on the C drive)
ah. that probably does make things more complicated, for the restore as well. anyone you know you might be able to borrow one from?

Lunch Money wrote:If BartPE could use diskimage (am I remembering the name right?) to restore an image from the same optical drive it loaded from, I'd be golden. ;)
I use Drive Snapshot on a BartPE disk I setup. Works really well :)

DSP

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”