Seismic (VST/AU for Mac and Windows)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Seismic

Version 1.3 has been released as VST for Mac and PC. The issue with using Seismic in a vst->au wrapper has vanished as mysteriously as it appeared.

Please download and enjoy! Be sure to look at the updated manual as a lot has changed under the hood, hopefully making it easier for you to use and for me to maintain. The biggest change is that the picker screens are now alphabetized (for the most part) and Seismic can now read Scala tuning files (.scl) rather than having a random assortment baked in.

Let me know if y’all are seeing any issues, and as always, Thanks!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Strangely settings (e.g. window size) are no longer saving in 1.3

They are no longer saved between sessions. It’s a pain to do due to syncing between open instances. It’s a compromise for now.

Everything else should be saving, provided you have save rights for where your VSTs are located.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Anyone has any sound demos?

Congrats, Seismic is in the OSC! It deserves it...

But I get strange behaviour Bitwig with pitch bend. It sounds not correct at all and it crashes the plug-in.
I can dig for the crash jog. Where should I send it..?

Tj Shredder wrote:Congrats, Seismic is in the OSC! It deserves it...

But I get strange behaviour Bitwig with pitch bend. It sounds not correct at all and it crashes the plug-in.
I can dig for the crash jog. Where should I send it..?
It is? First I've heard of it... :lol:

To be honest, I haven't messed much with the pitch bend code regarding testing. You can post the salient error data here or if it's particularly long, just message it to me.

Yup. It's my calculation of the pitch bend. WAY off... I'll rework it.

I just loaded Seismic on my Air and there it worked, but its an older version of Seismic: 1.2...
Somthing on the last update messed it up...

Tj Shredder wrote:I just loaded Seismic on my Air and there it worked, but its an older version of Seismic: 1.2...
Somthing on the last update messed it up...
Thanks! I look in my wayback machine to fix it. I think I added a little wiggle room for dodgy wheels and I must have broken something.

Windows 7 64 bit, using MuLab (www.mutools.com) as host. I can't enter any keys in any input field. Neither name nor values (like for pitch bend, which also doesn't seem quite right as mentioned above). Now, I didn't look deeper into this thread, so I apologize, if that has been discussed already, but just wanted to mention it.

Other than that, this is probably the most catastrophic synth and UI I've seen thus far and I have seen quite some daring approaches, but with a bit of TLC one can get some nice sounds out of it, though far from "clean", haha. Anyway, if the basics were fixed, such as entering name or values, it would be a curious one to play with some more. Thanks for making and sharing it, that's for sure!

This synth needs some tutorials. I could not get a simple filter envelope into a useful range. As soon I assign my envelope to a filter, the lowest value is fixed to 0.5 which is basically already complete open...

Yeah, you need a lot of will to compromise with it. I had some fun with it last night until it eventually crashed. Now I'm scared to start up MuLab again, since this synth can lead to a BSD without a system reboot. I remember this happening when I started it up once in the beginning of the month. Then I wasn't ready to give it another go.
I might try anyway, but well... I don't even know, if it will load up my little song snippet correctly again?! Haven't done music in so long.

Now as the OSC is done, we can share our tricks here. For the envelopes I could get a lower sustain by mixing a Saw with the ADSR. But that would eat one node. So If we can get the 24 node version, that would be nice... I could even imagine to have a complete free form Seismic. You just add nodes when you need them. Node 8 would be called Node End, and all others are counted as you add them...

I must say, I just now took another look at it, because the Env ADSR drove me nuts, and noticed that it does the sustain as soon as you give it a little bit of attack. With attack at 0 it goes straight to release. Very strange. I can't quite tell the decay part, though. Seems like it's more like an ASR envelope?! Anyway...this is certainly a weak point to me. BUT after playing around with it only a few more hours ( Holy hell, it's been hours?!), one can get some very nice sounds out of it. I'd love a bit more control over pitch, like tuning a specific node. I haven't yet figured out how to do that?!? But with comb and other modulators, one can get some nice control over overtones and such. It's really a pretty restricted kind of synth, but it's almost more rewarding, once you get some nice stuff out of it. Even fun to get something like an accordion and such...standards.
But, yeah, a tiny bit more control would be really nice. And I understand the desire to have even more nodes, hahaha. Easy to get carried way!
So, yeah, had I actually given it a fair shake at the beginning of the month and would spend more time with music again, I likely would've had a blast with it.
Keep it growing! :tu:

I think Seismic is fantastic. :hyper: :love: I made an entire track using only Seismic, in fact... :lol:

Seismic feedback:
Bug1: Please resolve the attack and release clicks caused by the filter(?).
It seemed necessary for me to create attack and release envelopes with track volume automation to overcome this and that would make me consider this a fundamental flaw with nearly any sound generating source.

Bug 2: Stacking FM has little effect.
This seems counterintuitive as I would expect something as modular as Seismic to showcase its full gamut of FM flexibility.

Feature Request: Nodes which can act as Env AD and Env SR.

Ofc, I’m no trained expert, but in my synths I’ve slashed optimization as much as 50% to ensure that much smaller filter bugs were not an issue, such as polyphonic key tracking and lfo to filter modulation ranges...
quick, _ake what you want in life

Return to “Instruments”