I'm looking to buy my first VST, but I'm unsure of which to pick

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bicycle saves nature ;)

And takes you to same place than mercedes. Though mercedes might bring you girls but that's a different story. Synth usually work the opposite way..

My opinion is starting with freeware. Think about whether it makes sense to invest money now? Maybe you realize in four or eight weeks that it is not the right thing. Then you have spent money for nothing. Besides, then you know better what you need.

Take, for example, the Wavestation from your list. The plugin is almost unbeatable for soundscapes and pads for ambient and film music. Especially when it comes to the sounds of the 80 and 90. But the programming is very special and hardly comparable to other VSTs.

To learn you should take a simple VST. For example

U-he Podolski
U-he Tyrell
Synth 1

ziegler12 wrote:So I am looking to start learning how to make music, but only as hobby (but it could be useful later on).
I’m a totally green, but I have a lot of the hardware (midi controller, microphone, audio interface, monitor headphones). I am currently using the free version of REAPER, but have not yet mastered it.
I am looking to buy a VST, and I have kept an eye/hear on whats out there for some time now. I am unsure which VST are really different, or are if they are kind of close to each other, that’s way I wrote this post.

I have always liked old (pop) music from the 70s/80s/90s (which is way I always like the Juno synth series). But I'm also looking for something that could be my ‘one size fit all’ VST, if such a thing exists.

here are the ones I am looking at ( * is those I think are similar):

*- OP-X PRO-II
85 € (normal full price 145,17 €)
have a really big free library of preset banks

*- TAL-U-NO-LX -75,03 $

* - Jup-8 V - 149 €

*- krong WAVESTATION -50$

- U-he's Diva - 179 $

- Sylenth1 - 139 €

Or maybe I should just use all the free VST I can find, but buy ‘Syntorial’ so I can learn how to really use them in the first place.

Syntorial - 130$ (this is in it self a VST plugin)
after I have payed for it, I can also see tutorials for these VST (Serum, Massive, Sylenth1, Z3TA+ 2, Minimoog Voyager).
Definitely don’t buy anything from Krong. They’re a shady operation that can’t be trusted.

Your list is a bit all over the place. All pretty good plugins. My vote would be to go for Diva. High quality, decent feature set and it covers a lot of ground including digital synth emulations.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Most DAWs have usable Eqs and compressors.
Often, the first plugin to add would be a reverb plugin.
This is a first step toward personalizing your production style.

There are many excellent verbs available these days.
Doing the demo thing and trying out several different reverbs and listening, is also a great way to start to "hear" what might be "your" sound.

Its an education.

Anyways if you want to spend some money, Diva is what you are looking for - several 70s and 80s synths in one and emulation second to none. Its modular nature means you can make new 80s sound too :) But by all means demo it first.

Keep in mind that tyrell formed the kernel of diva and is an amazing Juno sound alike in its own right.

First start with freeware, then buy payware you like.
2 freeware from the top x list:
- Synth1 (+ this librarian makes it more powerful https://youtu.be/vBF74Cg6E_s)
- Dexed (+ you can download "all the web collection" with lots of sysex soundbanks http://bobbyblues.recup.ch/yamaha_dx7/dx7_patches.html )

Distorted Horizon wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:one of the common things between the freeware and very expensive stuff is, that with both of these you could make tons of music.
TBH, that's the reason why anyone shouldn't put his/hers money on payware too fast. Become familiar with free stuff first, that you can identify better what you need/where freeware has limitations on features that only payware can provide.
+1

I'd like to add another vote for "start with freeware". Good luck and beware of GAS! :hihi:

Harry_HH wrote:Its quite a risky to initiate the OP, only after 5 posts, to one of the darkest and most notorious secrets of the Kvr.
The number of posts tells nothing about the number of reads... I think I had 3 posts to find it...; - ) And who knows if he is still reading, would be better he is running through the syntorial or something similar instead...
I guess he is, he posted less in this thread than most of us who posted here...

I'll throw in my 2¢ for Helm.

http://tytel.org/helm/

Freeware, but donations accepted.

My first vst, was installed in the far 2005 (then to choice was easier)
Name of his reFX Vanguard
Today I use more than 30 +

stenik wrote:My first vst, was installed in the far 2005 (then to choice was easier)
Name of his reFX Vanguard
Today I use more than 30 +
September, my cousin tried reefer for the very first time. Now he's doin' Horse.

Harry_HH wrote:
ziegler12 wrote:I just read this page more thoroughly (https://audioplugin.deals/the-deal/) and it clearly states: "(available in Ableton Live, Kontakt and Logic formats only)"
By investing $ 99 to Kontakt 5 and $ 9,99 to that 80's set, you have a rather versatile set. Kontakt is always useful to have.

If you have time to wait, you can always find good bargains.
I would never recommend Kontakt to a beginner, it surely kills all creativity with all the premade stuff and samples, and its awkward usability.

Buy Ableton, that DAW contains everything you ever need to start. :tu: No other VSTs needed for quite a long time. Don't get infected by GAS and VST marketing hogwash... :roll:

Diva and Sylenth1 is a perfect start overall. To be honest there are many good VST Plugins out there, so You should try as many as You can before investing money. For Your musical Taste You should check out all Synths from Arturia, Native Instrumens, GeForce, Roland, Synapse Audio, Dmitry Sches, KV331 Audio, Spectrasonics, Reveal Sound, u-he, Xfer and LennarDigital, to name a few.
I have them all, so hit me up if u have any questions :D

2ZrgE wrote:
Harry_HH wrote:
ziegler12 wrote:I just read this page more thoroughly (https://audioplugin.deals/the-deal/) and it clearly states: "(available in Ableton Live, Kontakt and Logic formats only)"
By investing $ 99 to Kontakt 5 and $ 9,99 to that 80's set, you have a rather versatile set. Kontakt is always useful to have.

If you have time to wait, you can always find good bargains.
I would never recommend Kontakt to a beginner, it surely kills all creativity with all the premade stuff and samples, and its awkward usability.

Buy Ableton, that DAW contains everything you ever need to start. :tu: No other VSTs needed for quite a long time. Don't get infected by GAS and VST marketing hogwash... :roll:
Why so negative?
I have to reply now, because mathematics say, that two negative turns the value to positive.

Kontakt won't "kill the creativity", one of the most stupid comment for a long time.
And, tweaking a "real synth" is no absolute value. Synth is a tool, and so is the Kontakt. It all depends how you use your tools, whatever they are.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”