Speedbumpy Surface for better play by feel - samples ready

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As a career guitarist, I just want to say that the LinnStrument's design is brilliant, Roger...

It has literally changed my life. So, thank you.

Cheers!

P.S. I've never aspired to do a bar chord on it. :-?
Last edited by John the Savage on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew_Nayes wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:29 pm Evidently, using one finger across several rows on an unmodified flat Linnstrument surface is not ideal. One will probably find it quite awkward...
Exibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4ACZflVPPY

Seems to work fine from what I can see. :wink:

Cheers!

Thank you for pointing out the strum mode, Roger. I haven't tried it out yet, as I am content for now playing in the regular mode. I'm not interested in playing barre chords either, my initial post was just referring to a discussion about raised rows being a welcome modification (in addition to the tactile navigation of raised rows) because this would open up the possibility of using a single finger to play notes across several rows (unfortunately I cannot recall what forum I saw this discussion in), and I suggested that this possibility would be sacrificed on Equiton's surface with raised ridges. Obviously a full barre formation was never my suggestion, as this would probably not even be physically feasible.

@John the Savage Nice playing! So it does seem that the Linnstrument is already used in this way. As per my original post, my guess is that raised ridges will make playing with a single finger across several rows more difficult and raised rows will make it easier.

I think what Roger was saying is that you can't play one finger across 3 rows, or a triple stop. But yes, one finger across two rows, or a double stop, is doable.

In my original brainstorming, I considered making each row a trough instead of a bump. To put it another way I considered making the rows concave instead of convex. That would seriously lock your finger into the right position. But I came to the same conclusion you all did which is that it would be very hard to press two rows with one finger if each row was a trough, so I went with the speedbump shape. I think the speedbump makes double stops easier because you can confidently feel two bumps under your finger. Also, it helps you have a move centered Y contact point for both rows at the same time.

@TigerBalm Roger wrote earlier in the thread that "The number of pads that can be played simultaneously in a single column is 3", so a triple stop or a three row barre seems to be, at least technically, possible. But a triple stop might be a tricky gesture even with your speedbumps?

oh yes 3 is right! I guess Roger was referring to typical barre chords that often use 4 or more notes from the same column

@TigerBalm

I would love to try this “speed bump” surface as well. Before the Linnstrument, I used thin colored detailing tape under a clear coat on ribbon controllers to get similar exact visual note position and tactile feedback on stopping points (with midi rounding to help reduce slop). Obviously the Linnstrument is a much better tool overall, but it I do miss that exact note position feedback and cleaner intonation.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”