Dedalus Delay: a new plugin from Aqusmatiq Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Foosnark (and others), is there any interest of getting it if you already own SandMan Pro and Emergence?
(Emergence seems deeper but less user friendly)

It's really lovely, but these days I try to keep the use of natural G.A.S. down. ;-)
As much as I love delays, with Infiltrator, Sandman and several others, I think I'm good.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream | Instagram | YouTube

sinkmusic wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:39 pm Foosnark (and others), is there any interest of getting it if you already own SandMan Pro and Emergence?
(Emergence seems deeper but less user friendly)
I don't really understand why people keep comparing this to Sandman Pro, they have quite different features and sound.

I've never used Emergence, but that one looks a general purpose granulizer in its approach. Dedalus is presented as a delay that happens to use a granular technique (avoiding Doppler shift as delay time is modulated) and can also be completely non-granular (if you enable Glide or just don't vary the delay time).

I've got a whole lot of delays and a few granular effects in hardware and software, and I think Dedalus is unique and worth the introductory price for sure.

Thank you :)

I think delay with enoughly developed modulation system, which can mangle time with ability of no affect to pitch, have right to be compared with Sandman Pro.
But this is my system for evaluating the similarity of delays, which can be quite subjective.

foosnark wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:19 pm
1. I really wish switching from Sync to Free mode didn't also switch from "VarDelay" to two separate delay times. If you want no variation at all in delay times, it's very difficult to set both parameters exactly the same, or to dial in extremely subtle amounts of modulation. I find myself having to use DAW features to precisely type values in instead of trying to use the GUI. Switching modes should be a separate option IMHO.

2. A way to transpose the MIDI input in Pitch mode would be very welcome. I often find I don't want a synth and delay to track the same pitch. I can use Bitwig to transpose the MIDI data but it seems like the Pitch knob could have been used as a way to transpose. (And fine tuning adjustments are also useful.)

I feel like I shouldn't have to use the DAW to work around limitations of the plugin.
you have here two interesting points !

i´ve not used it long enough to just put down a : "agreed !"
But i can follow you ;)

morelia wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:13 am Thanks for the reply. I thought the higher input was creating more overdrive, which I liked a lot. That was my favorite thing actually. Is it possible to get this overdriven sound by lowering the input? I wasn't able to get that.
In this case, you can fine-tune the DryWet value with ctrl-drag; you will still see 0.00, but it is incrementing in tiny steps. Or you can type in 0.001 or 0.0001, and so on. You still will see 0.00, so you have to judge by ear. We could consider increasing the visible digits for the dry-wet parameter in a future release.

foosnark wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:19 pm 1. I really wish switching from Sync to Free mode didn't also switch from "VarDelay" to two separate delay times. If you want no variation at all in delay times, it's very difficult to set both parameters exactly the same, or to dial in extremely subtle amounts of modulation. I find myself having to use DAW features to precisely type values in instead of trying to use the GUI. Switching modes should be a separate option IMHO.

2. A way to transpose the MIDI input in Pitch mode would be very welcome. I often find I don't want a synth and delay to track the same pitch. I can use Bitwig to transpose the MIDI data but it seems like the Pitch knob could have been used as a way to transpose. (And fine tuning adjustments are also useful.)
Hi, #1 is already on our to-do list, #2 is a good idea, we'll consider it, thanks.

Aqusmatiq Audio wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:26 am
morelia wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:13 am Thanks for the reply. I thought the higher input was creating more overdrive, which I liked a lot. That was my favorite thing actually. Is it possible to get this overdriven sound by lowering the input? I wasn't able to get that.
In this case, you can fine-tune the DryWet value with ctrl-drag; you will still see 0.00, but it is incrementing in tiny steps. Or you can type in 0.001 or 0.0001, and so on. You still will see 0.00, so you have to judge by ear. We could consider increasing the visible digits for the dry-wet parameter in a future release.
That would be great. Thanks for giving it some thought.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Please don't put your uninstaller on my desktop.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

Been really enjoying Dedalus Delay! Nice one Aqusmatiq Audio :tu:

https://youtu.be/pETTrOFZoR4

thats a great demo @lemmike !

i could not find my way into it so far, when trying it at a "realtime-play" patch

Q: are you sequenzing anything fromDAW automation ?

12:30 AM eastern time and I missed the $19 promo sale.
My feeling is that the developers should not be that punctual about turning off the sale price.
Oh well, I missed out on the wonderful offer.
Next time I will have to be the one to be punctual.

Really like the sound of this delay. Does it have only a single line delay? Cannot set, say, one delay to 1/8 and another to 1/8.? Or this what VarDel parameter do? Can this parameter be synced too?

Funky40 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:54 am thats a great demo @lemmike !

i could not find my way into it so far, when trying it at a "realtime-play" patch

Q: are you sequenzing anything fromDAW automation ?
Thanks! No DAW automation, just internal modulation in the plug-in and some macros I made to control dry/wet and overdrive amount in Abletons racks.

Return to “Effects”