Waldorf Largo 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nice surprise, new GUI is way more usable to me. Not really a fan of formant filters in general, I wish they added more drive curves from Blofeld.

sounds pretty here in a quick listen.

But... it's got this weird thing where if you select a preset, the GUI hangs for a couple seconds while it populates that 'parameter summary' window at the top right... is anyone else seeing that?

Those value fields on the controls are unreadable, even when you enlarge the GUI so that it takes up all vertical screen space on 1080p. The fonts are way too small, especially on the dropmenu items.

One thing they solved better is the parameter module section. Switching between envelopes, LFOs etc. is (IMO) easier now.

aMUSEd wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:00 pm I was hoping the NKS implementation might compensate for the still crappy browser, but unfortunately they have only converted the Factory patches and forgot to tag any of them.

The KK knobs are linked to none of the synth parameters on my M1 mbp.
I think the NKS was a rush job (read not finished). Maybe 1.01 will fix ?
Also the bank loaded when starting the plugin or using a NKS preset is not the factory bank.
Last edited by FotoxBr on Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

They didn't even try to improve the browser or preset handling, it's literally the same browser with a different skin. The envelopes and LFOs are easier to see at a glance now, but the mod matrix is a nightmare. I don't know how they went through the entire design and testing process without anyone thinking, "Hmm, maybe these fonts are a bit too small"

FotoxBr wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:21 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 6:00 pm I was hoping the NKS implementation might compensate for the still crappy browser, but unfortunately they have only converted the Factory patches and forgot to tag any of them.

The KK knobs are linked to none of the synth parameters on my M1 mbp.
I think the NKS was an rush job (read not finished). Maybe 1.01 will fix ?
Also the bank loaded when starting the plugin or using an NKS preset is not the factory bank.
Looks to me like they based the NKS mapping on the VST2 but incorrectly implemented migration so VST2 NKS load in the VST3 but the params don't translate. Also even with the VST2 they work, but with the wrong params. What a mess!

As others have said, this is so unexpected but, so, so great! I had given up on Largo because it was incredibly buggy on my M2 Max MacBook Pro.

The new version 2 is running as smooth as butter. However, I do prefer prefer the original UI. But that's a small thing.The new color scheme looks fine and maybe even makes the plugin a bit more accessible.

Is it just me or do the revamped presets sound smoother and less piercing than those in Largo v1? I highly doubt that Waldorf took the effort to revamp the Largo synth engine. But the reworked presets do show that Largo can sound as good as a Blofeld.

So thank you Waldorf for updating your flagship wavetable synth plugin. You've saved me the trouble and expense of buying a Blofeld.

I don't like the GUI at all and again it doesn't manage to support the import of your own wavetables. This has already been missed with the PPG 3.V and Largo1. Maybe they should have brought Stefan Stenzel back on board and reissued the Komplexer. He could import own wavetables and even the sounds of the MicroQ.
Owner of the FB site of Audioterm

For anyone that is signing up for a trial. It's a little counterintuitive, but here's what you'll need to do.

After you place your order, go to the 'Downloads' section of your Waldorf account and 'click' on the PDF. The installer URL is located inside:
Screen_Shot_2023-10-27_at_4_43_37_PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duality without regard to physicality

Yeah, wanted to post that earlier, as some seemed to wait for an email to arrive.

Haha Haha wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:37 pm ....So thank you Waldorf for updating your flagship wavetable synth plugin. You've saved me the trouble and expense of buying a Blofeld.
Blofeld has 4 modulators - w,x,y, and z. You can assign cc's to them in the global area, and then use them in the mod matrix.

Largo and Largo2 list w,x,y, and z, but there's nowhere to assign cc's to them, so they can't be used, unless I'm missing it somewhere (doubtful).
Last edited by felis on Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it's about things one can do that the other can't do, that goes both ways.

https://www.mindmeister.com/maps/public ... 400&zoom=0

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:05 pm If it's about things one can do that the other can't do, that goes both ways.

https://www.mindmeister.com/maps/public ... 400&zoom=0
But why include things that don't do anything?

I haven't really looked into those modulation sources yet, but, you seem to be right, and they were never implemented.

Well, one of those things. ;) Audio software always has been a bit sloppy.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:25 pm Never liked the sound of large at all.
On paper, it's a great synth. But it always sounded mushy to me.

So if there is no significant sound enhancement I won't bother, tbh.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Return to “Instruments”