Fabfilter Twin 3 --Released Feb. 7th

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Twin 3 Pro Expansion - Twin 3 Presets

PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:09 am This almost "gamified" approached to sound design is very appealing to me personally, YMMV though :D
Whaou, thanks for the detailed and convincing answer! I will give it a try this weekend!
Thanks again.

PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 am
rod_zero wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:06 pm Of all the things the mod matrix is the only one t3 doesn't even need. I mean if you prefer hive which barely has a mod matrix...
Quality over quantity. 24 slots with all of the modifiers and full visibility (if using the Izmo skin) is more than enough to make expressive patches *with great worklfow, especially with dedicated knobs for filter env/lfo modulation and vibrato. Oh and with the XY macros, you get another 32 slots (with the same modifiers), in addition to the 24 in the main mod matrix, so really you have up to 56 slots combined. Now tell us again that Hive "barely has a mod matrix" :D

*edit
I like hive but stating it has "quality over quantity" when comparing the mod "matrix" or mod options against twin 3... which has a much more open modulation system is disingenuous at best.

It is the only feature where twin 3 has something to offer over a lot of other simple subtractive synths.
dedication to flying

Jac459 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:20 am
PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:09 am This almost "gamified" approached to sound design is very appealing to me personally, YMMV though :D
Whaou, thanks for the detailed and convincing answer! I will give it a try this weekend!
Thanks again.
No problem. If you have anymore questions, quote me in one of the many Hive threads, so we don't pollute this one any further :)
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 am No problem. If you have anymore questions, quote me in one of the many Hive threads, so we don't pollute this one any further :)
Sure.

rod_zero wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:30 am
PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 am
rod_zero wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:06 pm Of all the things the mod matrix is the only one t3 doesn't even need. I mean if you prefer hive which barely has a mod matrix...
Quality over quantity. 24 slots with all of the modifiers and full visibility (if using the Izmo skin) is more than enough to make expressive patches *with great worklfow, especially with dedicated knobs for filter env/lfo modulation and vibrato. Oh and with the XY macros, you get another 32 slots (with the same modifiers), in addition to the 24 in the main mod matrix, so really you have up to 56 slots combined. Now tell us again that Hive "barely has a mod matrix" :D

*edit
I like hive but stating it has "quality over quantity" when comparing the mod "matrix" or mod options against twin 3... which has a much more open modulation system is disingenuous at best.

It is the only feature where twin 3 has something to offer over a lot of other simple subtractive synths.
Can you rectify/unipolarise, adjust curve/response, slew limit, quantise, S&H each or any combination thereof each modulation assignment? This the quality I'm referring to, you can do interesting things with the modulation in Hive, what can you do in T3 that is interesting, besides having lots of modulation and modulators modulating each other, which is great, but Hive and other synths have/can also do this. You can't even modulate the rate of synced LFOs in T3, how is that not severely limiting?! Not only can you do this in Hive, but you can use Integer quantisation to snap to musically useful values, since you choose a synced base rate and then multiply/divide down.

I'm not arguing that modulation is pants in T3, just that it's not fair to say the mod matrix in Hive is limited/lack lustre/whatever, simply because it only has 24 slots. That is a disingenuous and reductive argument on your part.

edit: the premise of your argument seems to be, T3 modulation is good because there's lots of it (this is where I got "quantity" from) and it's flexible (whatever that means, perhaps you can expand on this for me) and the modulation is bad/limited because it only has 24 slots, completely glossing over all of the features that allow users to get a lot out of those limited slots (this is where my "quality" argument came from).
Always Read the Manual!

Clearly T3 has some limitations, knowing fabfilter, that's the only reason why it is not crushing the competition.
Because still, the UI remain awesome with a control on filters that is equally awesome.

Jac459 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:52 am Clearly T3 has some limitations, knowing fabfilter, that's the only reason why it is not crushing the competition.
Because still, the UI remain awesome with a control on filters that is equally awesome.
They put a bit too much time and effort into the UI at the expense of other areas imo, FM/PM would have made this an instabuy for me personally and I don't think it would have compromised the desired simplicity/elegance. Who knows maybe one day, Hive will get an extra 12 mod slots and Twin3's oscillators will get a boost :D
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:03 am They put a bit too much time and effort into the UI at the expense of other areas imo, FM/PM would have made this an instabuy for me personally and I don't think it would have compromised the desired simplicity/elegance. Who knows maybe one day, Hive will get an extra 12 mod slots and Twin3's oscillators will get a boost :D
Let's hope. It would be awesome.

From Forum-

Will MPE be available

Konstantin — Mar 24, 2023
We are looking into it and planning to make it available in a 3.1 update.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Jac459 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:52 am Clearly T3 has some limitations, knowing fabfilter, that's the only reason why it is not crushing the competition.
You can look at the limitations as positive or negative. Lots of specialized tools do a specific thing very well. When I first started playing around with it, my initial reaction was, “why didn’t they add a wavetable engine.” 5 minutes later, I was making some crazy filter sweep that sounded like I was using a wavetable engine. This synth is really designed around a single trick. Whether or not you think that trick is cool enough to warrant buying it is up to you, but I’m still probably going to pick it up soon.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I thi8nk the synths is initially underwhelming as the new pre-sets are underwhelming...a lot of people will just flick though the pre-sets...they probably need to add a few more that really show of what can be done, these are very good (from the free demo pack at least) https://newloops.com/products/twin-pro- ... -3-presets
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

zerocrossing wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:19 pm You can look at the limitations as positive or negative. Lots of specialized tools do a specific thing very well. When I first started playing around with it, my initial reaction was, “why didn’t they add a wavetable engine.” 5 minutes later, I was making some crazy filter sweep that sounded like I was using a wavetable engine. This synth is really designed around a single trick. Whether or not you think that trick is cool enough to warrant buying it is up to you, but I’m still probably going to pick it up soon.
I really advise you to buy it, I have been disappointed by some of my purchases but not one second by this one, the filter control is market leading...

SLiC wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:24 pm I thi8nk the synths is initially underwhelming as the new pre-sets are underwhelming...a lot of people will just flick though the pre-sets...they probably need to add a few more that really show of what can be done, these are very good (from the free demo pack at least) https://newloops.com/products/twin-pro- ... -3-presets
I'm planning on adding a bunch of new presets for the upcoming major updates so any examples of "good" presets would be very welcome. I've got both positive and negative feedback on the current crop, which was expected. What do you think would "show what it is capable of" in the form of single presets?

Personally I tried to make a few that can completely morph from one sound to another using the green macro controls but perhaps people are looking for "one note wonder" type of things? Personally I hate those kinds of presets as they can't really be used within a mix easily.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:23 pm I'm planning on adding a bunch of new presets for the upcoming major updates so any examples of "good" presets would be very welcome. I've got both positive and negative feedback on the current crop, which was expected. What do you think would "show what it is capable of" in the form of single presets?

Personally I tried to make a few that can completely morph from one sound to another using the green macro controls but perhaps people are looking for "one note wonder" type of things? Personally I hate those kinds of presets as they can't really be used within a mix easily.
I am part of the people who liked the preset precisely because the fit easily and you can easily tweak them.

That being said, as it has been discussed at length, the modulations are fun but they have nothing extraordinary, it is more the combination with the deep control of the 4 filters (+ 4 filters on the delay). So a few presets with very complex and deep usage of the filters would be fun. And also it can be a good start to deconstruct some complex presets and play with them.

By the way, the introduction song that was on the trailer that I think you did was nuts, I really loved it.

PieBerger wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:03 am They put a bit too much time and effort into the UI at the expense of other areas imo, FM/PM would have made this an instabuy for me personally and I don't think it would have compromised the desired simplicity/elegance. Who knows maybe one day, Hive will get an extra 12 mod slots and Twin3's oscillators will get a boost :D
same here, just adding fm and i wouldve bought it

i don't like fabfilter's modulation system though, i find it too fiddly, but generally their UIs are very good though and usually the best feature of fabfilter's products. The sound is more important than the UI though

Return to “Instruments”