Is the Sylenth 1 still good?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA DUNE 3 Hive 2 Spire Sylenth1

db3 wrote:
chk071 wrote: if you want exactly that sound, your best bet will still be Sylenth1.
And that's the crux. Sylenth 1 may not be the best bet for many people, but for those who are looking for a particular type of EDM sound it still reigns.
Yeah. Although, as far as i can see, at least many of the EDM guys seem to have switched to (or also use) Spire now.

fischkopf wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
Now, these days, that's not why I get synths at all anymore. All my sounds are covered. Nothing is going to come out that's going to give me something new. At least it's doubtful. Today, I buy synths for one reason and one reason only. To make library patches to sell. Period.
Are you serious? Usually when I get a new synth that excites me, it encourages me to be creative, to see what I can achieve using all the capabilities of a synth. I would NEVER think "all my sounds are covered" because I don't usually never start working on a patch with a preconceived idea about what it will sound like. I just start experimenting until something comes out that excites me, it's a creative process from beginning to end. That's why I like to get new synths, because the results will be different every time.
Well, when you're fighting for survival, your first thought has to be how I can survive. So music has to take a back seat to business these days. Believe me, I love creating music. I've written well over 1,000 songs since 1979. But those days are over, at least for now.

Eating has to come first.

Astralv wrote:Thank you for your reply. Last night I installed Vintage Legends and had may be 10 minutes with it. First instrument had no presets and sounded "eeeee". Don't know what's wrong with it. The 2nd instrument had bad sound quality but in first 5 sounds had several variations that I did not hear before. Kind of like using Waldorf Q: sounds harsh but different.
My question is- will I find something I don't have in Sylenth or was it already recreated in other synths? You know- we have million pads, million leads... I have Plugin Guru Pads expansion. I would buy Sylenth1 if I knew that certain things sound different and were not recreated yet by other synths.
Synthox from UVI is really good, I haven't tried the other ones in Legends but synthox has nice bite to it. Loads of character. Worth spending some time with it! The free Blocks synths Xmas freebie from NI are also super, great fresh sound and can go crazy, I'd much rather spend time with those than a synth that makes you sound just like everyone else.

Dúnedain wrote:
themachinelt wrote:
Dúnedain wrote:This one is high on my list. Think it is a good balance between easy to understand and power to create a wide range of sounds. Dune 2 has 3 osc and just 1 filter. Sylenth has 4 osc and 2 filters together with some routing flexibility. Should make it easier to stack sounds.
Sylenth1 has 2 oscs and 2 layers wich makes 4 oscs.

Dne has 8 layers and aditional distortion/filter. So 3osc x8 thats 24 total.
No, Sylenth is just one layer and 2 filters and 4 osc per layer.
Dune2 has 8 layers, but I can easily create 8 layers of Sylenth by just running 8 instances of them.

This is the sound flow in Sylenth1:

So to answer the initial question "Is Sylenth still good?": yes!
I do think it has two layers, with two oscs (8 waves each) and one filter each. But the two layers can be kind of fused by routing one layer's osc's through the other layer's filter. When you do that for both layers, it gets quite intense.
If you think otherwise, what is your definition of layer?

Anyway, I have not found any other synth, yet, that sounds so pleasant and old-skool (by that I mean 80's pads, synth basses etc.) while using so little CPU. It may not sound as analog as Xils etc., but I couldn't care less. I like the sound the way it is, a quality hybrid sound of sizzling analog and shiny digital.
And Sylenth is simple to operate, unlike Spire with its zillion tabs.

The only downside is that development and bug fixes are very slow.
The official price is a bit high by today's standards, but I got it for about 100 dollars, the best 100 dollars I have spent on plugins so far.

themachinelt wrote: Are you sure? Dune 2 supersaw sounds better then my virus,
It's "better than".

wagtunes wrote:I'm putting on my tin foil hat for this one because I know I'm going to get slammed for it.

Sylenth1 is overpriced compared to what's out there today that can do just as much if not more for the same money. I too have just about every synth out there. I don't have Sylenth1. It gives me nothing that I already don't have. At its normal price, no way would I buy it. At the sale price, again, already can do what it can do with my other synths so just don't need it.
You're right, you don't need it so there's no point.

On the other hand, if you do need 'that' sound there's still no other plugin that's nailed it like Sylenth. And we're not talking about specs here, we're talking about the way it sounds.

basslinemaster wrote:
It's "better than".
:D

Astralv wrote:ast night I installed Vintage Legends and had may be 10 minutes with it. First instrument had no presets and sounded "eeeee". Don't know what's wrong with it.
The synths contained in Vintage Legends have different designs. The Synthox and CS-M presets are embedded within each synth's GUI (i.e. there is only one preset shown in Falcon). Essentially with these UVI have put more emphasis on layering and synthesising of sampled waveforms using the power of the UVI/Falcon engine. You see much the same with certain Kontakt releases.
Last edited by db3 on Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basslinemaster wrote:
It's "better than".
Yeah, that would be better then. :P

basslinemaster wrote:
It's "better than".
Guy finally found something useful to contribute? :clap: Good job! :tu:

2ZrgE wrote:
basslinemaster wrote:
It's "better than".
Guy finally found something useful to contribute? :clap: Good job! :tu:
thank you for reminding me how bad is my engrish :D

wagtunes wrote:So why not get Sylenth1? Because at $158 (normal price) I can get other synths that are cheaper and do more. That's why. And now that I have them, no need to get Sylenth1 on sale.
You keep repeating this in every thread related to Sylenth1!
The thing you don't get it is most people who buy synths they use it in their music not in order to sell presets!

@OP
I'm not into edm or dubstep but if I have $99, I would buy it.

It makes great basses, leads and pads with very low CPU usage. It has easy to understand interface and it is begging to be programmed and tweaked. And if you are not into making your own sounds, there are thousands out there (free and commercial).

It is a king that many synths trying to get its crown (in edm) so it seems strange that you have every synth and don't have Sylenth1 for edm!

EnGee wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So why not get Sylenth1? Because at $158 (normal price) I can get other synths that are cheaper and do more. That's why. And now that I have them, no need to get Sylenth1 on sale.
You keep repeating this in every thread related to Sylenth1!
The thing you don't get it is most people who buy synths they use it in their music not in order to sell presets!

@OP
I'm not into edm or dubstep but if I have $99, I would buy it.

It makes great basses, leads and pads with very low CPU usage. It has easy to understand interface and it is begging to be programmed and tweaked. And if you are not into making your own sounds, there are thousands out there (free and commercial).

It is a king that many synths trying to get its crown (in edm) so it seems strange that you have every synth and don't have Sylenth1 for edm!
So why not get a Porsche? Because at $100,000 (normal price) I can get other cars that are cheaper and do more.

:wink:

Yorrrrrr wrote:Well, if Sylenth1 includes "magic" or "analog-like-presence-in-a-mix", then by all means get it OP! No other soft synth has that feature.
Very few have the magic of sylenth1

At least it still evokes emotions, some love it, some hate it :D It's like with abortion or gay marriage in the US 8)

I am really grateful to LD, I could not run 8 to 10 instances of any modern top synth and yet get that same sound. I could run a dozen SE synths, sure, but the quality is just not the same. I remember some Superwave synths I used to have, they sounded alright on their own, but the more instances there were, the more they got in each other's way, resulting in a a somewhat bland mess. I know one could prevent that if one is skilled at using FX, mixing and what not, but I am not, so I like how each Sylenth patch sounds well defined so they work together well without my doing much.

I love the fine sound of the soft pads it produces, just 2 x 2 waves:
https://app.box.com/s/6910egq40cw4tkaqdvta90rhyj1f1inr
I know, EDM kids with their ruined ears must be thinking their amp is broken :hihi: Sometimes I play around with a pad for half an hour without recording anything, just because I like the sound so much, especially the 24db filter :)

One thing I like is how one can totally change the sound character (amounting to having new waveforms, basically) by using retrigger on the two osc's of a layer (regardless of the selected waveforms) and changing the phase of one of them.
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”