Pashkuli Keyboards: discussion + demos

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BertKoor wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:03 am May I comment, even as a non-pianist?
I think you just did (comment). I am not a moderator of the forum anyway. :tu:

No, I have not made any substantial comment yet.
So I ask you again: do you really want actual honest feed back on that design?
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor, feel free to comment on whichever design you'd like.
Forums are for all interested. I am not a moderator, not going to require approval or not on posts.
But for your info... Yes, I have shown both designs to academic and music business individuals and most of them said it is nonsense. No one would like to play on... bubble wrap.
On the other hand though, I would prefer opinions from keyboard players for obvious reasons - those products are targeted towards them.

Keyboard players probably will have a hard time learning a different way.

Maybe better marketed to some one such as me who doesn’t care in the slightest about tradition.

I have never played great balls of fire except by the BBQ with literal fire . and occasionally i work with entertainment industry pyro , like fireworks and flamethrowers and the like.

Im not classically trained with piano or any instruments.

I think of the black keys the same way as i look at fret markers on my guitar.
Basically , landmarks , in case i get lost i can see at a glance where i’m trying to be .

All my keyboard instruments have the usual blacks and whites .

Some piano sized , some the slightly smaller non-weighted size , and a mini key one.

The mini is convenient to sit on a desk or walk around with to trouble shoot midi I/O . But its not good for me to play precisely on .

Much like typing on my phone i make a ton of mistakes compared to the regular sized QWERTY keyboard on my desk.

The mini also has 16 pads in a now common 4x4 layout .

Linsturment is not layed out to play greatballs of fire either .What makes the linnsturment interesting is not its expanded 4x4 pad style layout but the note expression .

If paskuli controller surface can deal with the note expression pressures and can develop some landmark system like fret markers are to guitar such as programmable LEDs it has a chance as a non traditional surface.

It needs to be married to some programing and become its own thing. Not a different way to do the old traditional thing.

If it can’t deal with the note expression stuff then its just a different alternative old style note player and you get what this thread has been . who ever wanted to play great balls of fire ???

Once coupled to software couldnt it be programmed to make the layout the C scale ? So none of the pads are black keys ?
Then GBOF could be played !
or alternatively programmed with quarter steps for nonwestern scales ?
Grey keys ?

The biggest problem with marketing it to me , is you’ll only sell the one to me. I think the design is great 👍

You need to market it to that guy that it trying to layer 6 kick drum sounds and would like to play each one of the layers on its own pad during the sound design process . Or for triggering loops while playing a sitar lead and an acid baseline .

djboomstick wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:25 pm The biggest problem with marketing it to me , is you’ll only sell the one to me. I think the design is great 👍

You need to market it to that guy that it trying to layer 6 kick drum sounds and would like to play each one of the layers on its own pad during the sound design process . Or for triggering loops while playing a sitar lead and an acid baseline .
The uniform Pashkuli™ keyboard (inspired by the work of the German engineer and musician Théophile Auguste Dreschke with a touch of his Hungarian fellow Paul von Jankó) has separate keys and they are not pads (just 88 keys as in normal standard grand piano).

Thank you for the opinion. Yes, I agree that traditionally educated pianist/keyboardist will find it not suitable to play the standard way.
For them I designed (re-designed) the "standard" piano keyboard as shown a few posts above.

Pashkuli wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:42 pm
djboomstick wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 1:25 pm The biggest problem with marketing it to me , is you’ll only sell the one to me. I think the design is great 👍

The uniform Pashkuli™ keyboard (inspired by the work of the German engineer and musician Théophile Auguste Dreschke with a touch of his Hungarian fellow Paul von Jankó) has separate keys and they are not pads (just 88 keys as in normal standard grand piano).

Thank you for the opinion. Yes, I agree that traditionally educated pianist/keyboardist will find it not suitable to play the standard way.
For them I designed (re-designed) the "standard" piano keyboard as shown a few posts above.
if they are called keys or pads is important ?

what if i say it like this ?

Once coupled to software couldn't it be programmed to make the layout the C scale ?
So none of the notes are # ?

or alternatively programmed with quarter steps for non-western scales ?

Pashkuli wrote: Image
Normally, the fingers are not always on the same position on the key, while this design forces you to do just that: put your finger on the same position. OK, there are two or three positions per key on this, while traditional keys have endless positions. Here you cannot go back & forth a centimeter without it affecting comfort.

That is the main conflict I see between how traditional pianists play, and how this keyboard is designed. Probably intentionally... That's what "design" is all about in the end ;-)

Live long and prosper, Don Q.

djboomstick wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 2:16 pm Once coupled to software couldn't it be programmed to make the layout the C scale ?
So none of the notes are # ?

or alternatively programmed with quarter steps for non-western scales ?
Of course they can. You can even split them in regions with different scale layouts.

1. Normally, the fingers are not always on the same position on the key, while this design forces you to do just that: put your finger on the same position.
2. OK, there are two or three positions per key on this, while traditional keys have endless positions.
3. Here you cannot go back & forth a centimeter without it affecting comfort.
Most of the time, and because of the anatomy of the human hand, you would need to place your fingers at the exact same spot on the keys, no matter how flat/straight they are. It is known as "muscle memory" or "best practice".

There are not two or three positions. They are continuous (smooth surface)... and by the way, even allow you to jump with your thumb to the narrow white keys areas, without the danger of touching on the adjacent black key - something that always will happen on the flat standard keys.

Here you can go back and forth as much as you like. There is no break on the keys. You can even play by gently pulling ("come here" or "let me scratch" motion) on the keys... or... vice-versa... by a slide forward motion from white to black AND from black to white respectively. :tu:

Design is all about a form that follows the function, Sancho.
Otherwise it's just an art, illustration, picture.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

And the design patent has been obtained... finally. Been waiting for 15 years. :party:
Pashkuli standard keyboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

First heading of first video:
"Many keyboard players seem to have no idea what is a pitch bend"
Then I remembered who this guy is:
viewtopic.php?f=102&t=445951&hilit=roli ... start=1125

Having said that I do like way the above design captures that chocolate piano that got left in a car on a sunny day look :)

Was that 15 years waiting from the moment you applied for the patent?
If so, usually a patent gives exclusive rights for 20 years, so then you have only five years to go.

Pashkuli wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 7:29 pm And the design patent has been obtained... finally. Been waiting for 15 years. :party:
Pashkuli standard keyboard.jpg
Looks like a marzipan-topped piano-cake. If your keyboard business fails, you could always open a cake shop.

Pashkuli Patisseries - For The Hungry Musician! :party:

its for musicians on lsd, it looks perfectly normal and is easier to play.

BertKoor wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:30 pm Was that 15 years waiting from the moment you applied for the patent?
Nope. That was the point in time I designed it (when I was a student).
I was watching some keyboard/piano players and I remembered when I was 14, when my drum teacher suggested I should apply for the Music school. I had to learn to play some piano piece and I couldn't do it. It seemed painful to me somehow.
As a student I recalled that memory and decided to fix it. I did but everything got left on my computer back then. I showed it to some academic teachers and they told me to become a sex-toy designer and leave the piano to the professional players, which I did not do. So, I forgot about it until a few months ago. So I applied to protect the design.

Is it better (more comfortable, more functional, more feature rich) than the "standard" piano keyboard. Of course it is!
Pashkuli Keyboard B3 - x .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”