[for Reason users] May Madness sale is on, what have you bought / buying? :)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Got it - thank you both.

ShawnG wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pmReason has always had a very simplified MIDI framework. If you notice, you never have to select MIDI source or channel whenever you are working with Reason standalone, it treats all MIDI sources as MIDI Omni essentially.
That's true & I'd love to some day see MIDI CV & gate cables like we have for audio & 'normal' CV. But I also think they've not added support for MIDI VST to at least protect their Player devices and - frankly - for a good reason, as they're awesome and quite unique.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

I’d like to upgrade my Reason 10 to 11 but they seem to have a thing about not putting the upgrade on sale, I suspect to drive people into going for the full Suite.

Seriously considering Nostromo and/or Expanse. Already picked up Zero.

Looked into Recycle, and while this is as good a price as you'll get it for... Rex2 just doesn't seem that big a deal any more? Does anyone have a killer Dr Rex workflow I should know about?

imrae wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:56 pm Seriously considering Nostromo and/or Expanse. Already picked up Zero.

Looked into Recycle, and while this is as good a price as you'll get it for... Rex2 just doesn't seem that big a deal any more? Does anyone have a killer Dr Rex workflow I should know about?
I would get Nostromo, at least if you already have other wavetable synths like Serum, Icarus or other similar. Nostromo is unique and has nothing similar (I can think of) in the VST world (or amongst Rack Extensions).
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

aMUSEd wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 pm I’d like to upgrade my Reason 10 to 11 but they seem to have a thing about not putting the upgrade on sale, I suspect to drive people into going for the full Suite.
The problem, too, is that there is no credit for REs that one already owns if you wish to upgrade to Suite. Someone who owns half of the additional REs in Suite pays the same upgrade price as someone who owns none of the REs in Suite. This makes no sense to me, and until that's changed I will never upgrade my Reason 11 to Suite :(.

I treated myself to Double Dry/Wet.

bharris22 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:15 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:27 pm I’d like to upgrade my Reason 10 to 11 but they seem to have a thing about not putting the upgrade on sale, I suspect to drive people into going for the full Suite.
The problem, too, is that there is no credit for REs that one already owns if you wish to upgrade to Suite. Someone who owns half of the additional REs in Suite pays the same upgrade price as someone who owns none of the REs in Suite. This makes no sense to me, and until that's changed I will never upgrade my Reason 11 to Suite :(.
Yes same problem here, I have all the Res I want from Suite already, the rest I don't care about

aMUSEd wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:09 pm
Yes same problem here, I have all the Res I want from Suite already, the rest I don't care about
Then why would you want to upgrade to Suite? The only advantage is more rack devices. right?

jeffb01 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 pm
Then why would you want to upgrade to Suite? The only advantage is more rack devices. right?
from the brief research i did. yes. more REs. if you add up what it would cost to get each one separaely, its worth it.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Yeah, had exactly this. Were only 3-4 REs in the Suite I didn't have, and, I think, only 1-2 I found interesting.

Don't expect being treated just a little bit better because you're a loyal, and apparentky stupid, customer.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

jeffb01 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:50 pm
As I said, I don't. I just want to upgrade to Reason 11.

Last edited by goldenanalog on Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

I upgraded from 10 to 11 Suite because I wanted the VST version and to be able to unlock the value in all the RE I already owned but never used (not keen on Reason sequencer etc but like the modular environment). It would have been nice to get some discount based on the stuff I already owned but I got a good deal at JJRShop so not a big issue and the new RE I got like Complex-1 and Scenic are nice.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that when I fire up Reason it does actually say "Reason 11 Suite" on the splash screen, not just "Reason 11". I don't believe there is any fundamental difference with the software but it indicates to me that they're interested in maintaining and distinguishing these tiers much like Ableton have and that, perhaps, there will be new content/devices added in the future that will be free for Suite owners but paid-for additions for other tiers. It seems to be a growing trend that companies want you to buy into their "ecosystem" and I know some people aren't keen on that but it's a competitive market and I understand why they do it. I think, in this particular case, the ability to get a whole bunch of new synths and effects to use in your DAW of choice gives a lot of value.

To answer the original question - I haven't bought anything in May Madness yet but tempted by the modulation toys like Lectric Panda Shape, ZFO-2 etc as well as some of the players. I've got more synths and effects than I can use including almost all of the "premium" ones so I don't need more but the modulation stuff and the players are where it gets interesting for me.

Last edited by goldenanalog on Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”